Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Cleaning infant's navel: what to use for infection?

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
User Profile
My 2 month old baby boys belly button seems to have a smalll piece of red skin peeking out of his belly button, some yellowish crust in the morning on the belly button. I am using an antibiotic cream, "Fucidin" the same kind that I used on him after his circumcision. Any reason why? Should I be cleaning it wiht alcohol? I am just cleaning with warm water right now. Please tell me as much information as you know to help. Thanx. By the way, my baby is still gaining weight, no fever, and still eating. However he does have a cold.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 8th, 2007
Baby Q and A, Baby Health Answer A1968
According to the description you've provided (“small piece of red skin peeking out of his belly button and some yellowish crust in the morning on the belly button”), your baby is probably experiencing a local infection (omphalitis). You may continue using an antibiotic cream and for cleaning, you may use warm water with soap.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Infants , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.