Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Heart Disease and Heart Attack Forum

Open Heart Surgery: Post-op pain

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I had open heart surgery 8 months ago and I still having pain. Is this normal? I have like a tightness in the left and right side. My heart doctor said it was inflammation. Can inflammation cause pain like this. And I usually hurt more of an evening, come my winding down time. Sometimes I have pain during the day too but its mostly at night. I am very concerned and nervous about anything now as when they found my anurism they just happened to find it when I went to the doctor for a kidney infection and then they also discovered I had a bi-cuspid valve so now I have a mechanical one. Please if you could be of any help I would appreciate it. Thanks- Michelle

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 14th, 2006
Heart Disease & Heart Attack Answer A1951
Usually any inflammation is followed by pain. An aneurism with no symptoms is usually discovered accidentally. Aneurisms cause symptoms when a blood vessel ruptures, which is life threatening. Lucky for you that your aneurism was discovered before its rupture. You didn’t describe clearly the problem with your bicuspid valve but it seems that it was treated professionally. You can take aspirin to reduce the pain and inflammation. You should consult your cardio-surgeon again about the pain that your are experiencing as tightness in the right and left side of the torso.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Heart Disease and Heart Attack , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.