Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

Pediatric Urine Collector...help (Page 1)

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
Ok ladies, it's .Monday which means .Adrianas follow up appointment is today. I've got 3 lil baggie type things that .I have to somehow tape to my daughter lol, but .I haven't got the slightest idea and of course there are no instructions. I should just call the clinic, but the nurse that is there is still suggesting the catheter. Over my dead body!
So has anyone used this before? I'm going to check medical sights and see if there are any diagrams lol. Eeeeek. This is going to be an experience.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 4th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Poor baby.......I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to do that....Again...Poor baby.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Lol, i'm gonna have pee up to my eyebrows! I'll probably end up letting her scoot around the floor w/o a diaper on and follow her with my little cup they gave me to put the urine in! Because they will .N.O.T catheterize my child again.
|

Especially eHealthy
Yes!! Does it have green foam around the area where the pee pee is supposed to fit?

They did this to .Nana the other day.

Make sure all creams are off her cudda, and place her pee pee in the hole. You can just wrap her diaper up as usual. Nana didn't like it being in there, but it's better than a cathader!!!

Sarah
|

Extremely eHealthy
Oh thank you!
That's what .I'm talking about, except the foam is white (like that makes a dif, right?)

wait, n/m one of them is green. Mr. Green

so, would it work better if she sat up, or was laying down?
And they want the urine to be no more than an hour old. Hot digity they best accept what .I can get! Lol
|

Especially eHealthy
I think laying down would be best. Nana basically pee'd on it, instead of in it, but it had slipped because of her a&d ointment.

Make sure her whole peepee is in it, so you can get the best results.

I'd lie and say it was fresh!! Keep in a warm spot. I'd hate for her to have to suffer again!!

Why are they sooo determined to get her urine?? Is she showing signs of infection? Or they just like to make babas cry? Crying or Very sad

sarah
|

Extremely eHealthy
Well, she's sitting right now, and the foam part, is in a .U shape, and .I put the closed end at the top, so the bottom part was open....But that's hard to do. And .I set her up instead of laying her down, .I guess because of how it's on there. I never use anything on her lil hinder, but .I still washed her off good with an antiseptic towel.
They are concerned and determined to get her pee because of her .U.T.I, so they are just making sure it's gone. She got her antibiotic religiously, she didn't miss a drop...And she's not been at all sick since, so .I'm sure it's gone. But even if .I'm not able to get any, or they don't think it's enough they will wait another day, because they will not do that again. I agree they need to test her again, but they will do it my way or not at all. And hell yeah .I'm gonna tell them the pee is fresh lol. They will use what they get! I've got 3 bags and 2 jars...So .I should be able to get it. I put one on her now in hopes she will pee, so if .I get any .I'll save it, and put another bag on and if .I end up getting more, .I'll use the freshest. Geez, what a topic! Lol
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
If you give her drinks and sit her on a potty will she pee - then you can just pour it out.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Hmm, that's an idea too. We don't have a pott chair for her yet...Would a very clean bucket do? Lol (you people are gonna think .I'm a terrible mother!!)

i've been pushing the liquids, but would they still be able to detect whatever it is they are looking for...With the urine being so diluted?
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I think they look for white blood cells, protein, and/or pus. They should be able to find them if she has them. Besides, you're supposed to push fluids with uti's anyway, right? I think it'll be fine! Wink
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Clean bucket is as good as Smile
|

Extremely eHealthy
kia_breizzze wrote:
clean bucket is as good as Smile

ok lol. If .I go through my 3 bags and still get nothing, at least .I have a back up plan, thanks to .Kia!

Laura, she's been off her meds for a week and a half now, but they scheduled her appointment for today, instead of last week...Because she also has her 9 month check up...So we combined. So .I gave her a break from all the fluids lol. She got frustrated with me because she wanted food!
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
I hope everything goes okay at her appointment!

Adriana, be a good girl and tinkle for your mommy! Laughing
|

Extremely eHealthy
Thanks for the help ladies.
I hope .Adriana listens to ya .Laura lol. Right now she's layin' on the couch drinking/playing with her bottle. She should be hungry because she took a long nap, but she's not seriously drinking her bottle. I've discovered she'll drink more if she does it herself. If either of us hold her and give her a bottle, she pushes it out of her mouth after a couple of ounces. Stubborn lil girl knows what she wants!
|

Especially eHealthy
Poor bebe!! You tell my lil girl she better get better soon!

As for the cath, trust me .Mandi, I know... But the thing is...

If its not fresh, it may not show things they need to see as urine sterilizes after a certain amount of time.

If they cant get the sample they need to make sure shes better, then i'd (as painful as it is) let the do the cath just so you can be 100% sure shes over it. Its not worth letting her get it again if it wasnt treated all the way. It can scar her kidneys and lead to renal failure later in life.

And remember, she wont remember any of it after tomorrow.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Ok, well there were a few dribbles in the bag, but most of it was absorbed into the foam, so I sqeezed it outta there into the jar, so will it be ok to use? It was a sterile bag. Im taking it anyways, and I have another bag on her...So hmmm, we'll see. I've gotta leave in about minutes.
|

Especially eHealthy
Man, it's hard to get it to work. My Dr. Wasn't to concerned...But she doesn't have a uti(that we know of)....How did they diagnose the uti from jump?

Sarah
|

Extremely eHealthy
They took a urine sample, but they got that by using a catheter. Evil or Very Mad
so it's just a follow up today to make sure it's gone.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Bloody hell 8 minutes to get there, test and back - you got a secret teleporter or something lol Question
|

Extremely eHealthy
hopefulmjz wrote:
they took a urine sample, but they got that by using a catheter. Evil or Very Mad
so it's just a follow up today to make sure it's gone.

that was her first appointment .Kia! This is her follow up.
I have to leave at 3, her appointment is at 3:20
and .I just got a very good sample, and it's nice and warm. Smile
we're off
|
12 >>
Tags: urine, baggie
Quick Reply