Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Vaginal Smell Caused By Me Or Him?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
My boyfriend and I have been having sex for a long time but there was something that always bugged me.

After having sex, my vagina will have a bad "fishy" smell for up to 2 days and i'm not sure why. I'm pretty sure this problem is not caused by me though. I think it may be from my boyfriend.

His pre-cum smells awful and it always puts me off oral. The smell also resembles a "fishy" smell but i'm not sure if it's the same smell that people often talk about. When his penis is just erected it doesn't smell at all but then when I give it a bit of handjob, and it starts to pre-cum, it smells awful. After searching on google all night I noticed that men don't usually have this problem. Is there something wrong with him?

Moreover, is he causing my vagina to smell afterwards?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 4th, 2006
Experienced User
Sorry to be up front about it, but does he ejaculate inside you during intercourse? If so - then his ejaculate staying inside your vagina [if you don't shower & wash well] might be causing a smell.

Then again, i'm not sure because you said his pre-cum has an odor.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
deebaby621 wrote:
sorry to be up front about it, but does he ejaculate inside you during intercourse? If so - then his ejaculate staying inside your vagina [if you don't shower & wash well] might be causing a smell.

if they are both healthy,i don't think it should smell at all.It sounds like both of you have an infection.It could be something called bactrial vaginosis and it is very easily cured but both of you would have to get treated or you will continue to pass it to each other.I think you should go to the doc or the health department to get checked out
|

Thanks for the replies.

No, he doesn't ejaculate inside of me and his semen has the usual chlorine type smell. It's the precum that smells funky Shocked

also, my vagina doesn't usually smell at all but it only ever has the same funky smell after intercourse for a couple of days. And after those couple of days it goes back to normal. So yeah, that's why I think it may be him and not me. I've read a couple of sites which claim that bad-smelling semen can be a result of eating certain foods but can that also apply to pre-cum too?
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2006
Supporter
Hey! If he comes inside you it's normal to smell for a day or two, it happens to me. But you say he doesn't come inside you, just the precum? This is a puzzler...

Well if he doesn't smell down there until he gets precum, it can't be a question of personal hygeine (ie he's not washing lol) so it's gotta be the precum. My experience is that it doesn't have a noticeable smell at all. A slight taste but not an unpleasant one. Perhaps he has an infection of some sort.

Yeah i've heard that things he eats can cause varying smells or tastes, but not fishy... It doesn't sound healthy. Unless someone here has the magic answer, a doctor might be a good idea. But I can see how it would be a hard thing to bring up to him!

Maybe even post a doctor question here.
|

replied December 5th, 2006
Experienced User
I agree with mel, it sounds like both of you have an infection,
|