Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Infectious Diseases Forum

Raised Tender Tattoo

Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
I got a tattoo in july and it healed perfectly fine. However for the past 2 weeks it has been raised and tender(sensitive to the touch). I also get abit of cramping underneath it. The tattoo itself looks normal, but puffy. It isn't red or hot at all. I did scratch it about a month and a half ago with my finger nail, but it was just a little scratch, not deep or large at all and that seemed to heal fine too. Is it possible to have an infection underneath the tattoo which isnt visible or detectable? Could my skin have an allergy or be rejecting the tattoo? The artist told me to put a thin layer of polysporin on it for a while. It helps but its still not back to normal.
I also have swollen lymph nodes in each armpit and my groin. I had a physicial a month ago and that was all normal. Should I be concerned?

P.S. I don't need a lecture about tattoo risks etc. I went to a reputible place.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 31st, 2007
Swollen lymph nodes indicate an infection. I'm surprised your physical came back normal with swollen lymph nodes. Try seeing a dermatologist, they may be able to take a sample and check for anything.
|

replied July 8th, 2007
Re: Raised Tender Tattoo
x0x011 wrote:
I got a tattoo in july and it healed perfectly fine. However for the past 2 weeks it has been raised and tender(sensitive to the touch). I also get abit of cramping underneath it. The tattoo itself looks normal, but puffy. It isn't red or hot at all. I did scratch it about a month and a half ago with my finger nail, but it was just a little scratch, not deep or large at all and that seemed to heal fine too. Is it possible to have an infection underneath the tattoo which isnt visible or detectable? Could my skin have an allergy or be rejecting the tattoo? The artist told me to put a thin layer of polysporin on it for a while. It helps but its still not back to normal.
I also have swollen lymph nodes in each armpit and my groin. I had a physicial a month ago and that was all normal. Should I be concerned?

P.S. I don't need a lecture about tattoo risks etc. I went to a reputible place.
I think when your lymph noids are swollen it means you have cellulitis infection.
|

replied July 15th, 2009
I had a tattoo about 2weeks ago and everything seems fine...no swelling,no much itching and no pain....its almost back to normal skin after the parts have shed out.

Now i noticed some stuffs like rashes/acne on my arms round the tattoo and it sems to be spreading.....wat is it and what can i do about it?

IBRAHIM...
|