Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Trigger Finger

Must Read
Arthritis is the most common cause of disability in the United States. Learn more about types of arthritis here....
Do you feel pain and stiffness in your body or have trouble moving around? You might have arthritis. Learn more about arthritis signs and symptoms here....
Signs and symptoms of rheumatic diseases are common to many different diseases. Diagnose arthritis correctly using these step-by-step diagnosis instructions....
Anybody have experience with surgery to correct trigger finger (tenosynovitis)? I would appreciate it if you could post an account (as detailed as possible) of your surgery and post-op experience at:

[link removed]

a relative is going in to for surgery soon and I would appreciate some accounts of it to share.

Thanks!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 28th, 2007
Trigger Finger Or Thumb
I had that surgery about five years ago. It is done as an out patient. The surgery itself only takes about ten minutes, but there is more prep work done before. They put a stocking type spandex thing on your arm. They don't put you to sleep. They use a local anesthesia. Before you know it, it's over, and you go home. It isn't the most pleasant thing I've ever had done, but it's bearable. Take care.'
|

replied October 11th, 2007
Trigger Finger
What should I do to help my Finger geting sorer, or geting more stiff
|

replied May 16th, 2008
Trigger Finger/RA Remedy
Dear Friends,
I am 57 yrs old and was suffering from Trigger Thumb and RA for a year. As it was frightening at first and was afraid it may get locked permanently, I rushed to the hospital. 2 months treatment on hot wax, exercise and ultrasonic therapy. The pain dissapeared and thumb back to normal. After 4 months I had it on the other thumb. This time I did not go to hospital but did the following:- 1. Take a good vitamin pill everyday ( I am taking Pharmaton).
2. Take a combination pill containing calcium, magnesium and zinc morning and evening.
3. Take vitamin B complex - one a day.
4. Take fish oil capsules one morning, one night. ( I am taking Seven-sea Forte)
5. Take Yograj Guggulu ayurvedic 250 gms with honey- 2 pills morning and 2 evening) ( check on website where to buy)
6. Eat variety of fruits/vegetables cooked/raw and go slow on red meat.
7. Massage your thumb with a good ayurvedic massage oil ( I use MahaNarayan oil from India)
8. Do Tai Chi exercises ( just buy a book and follow the exercises)
9. Detox every 4 months ( I use Juvanex)
9. Don't think too much about the pain and tell yourself the pain will go away and you have full control over it. Have confidence in yourself.
Though the pain is there, it is managable and I can button my shirt and press the remote control or mobile phone.Keep your muscles moving all the time except when asleep.Seeing a doctor and going for surgery should be the last resort. Best Regards. Mahathev from No: 585, Lorong Semarak 8/3, Tmn Panchor Jaya, 70400 Seremban, Malaysia. Feel free to call for help.
|

replied January 7th, 2009
trigger finger surgery
i have had trigger finger surgery 4 times and it has worked out amazing i am facing surgery again as soon as i meet my deductible mean while i have to keep it splinted and i was only out of work for 2 weeks
|

replied February 25th, 2011
I am 48 years old, I somehow bruised the area of the thumb joint where the tendon gets caught. At the time I injured it I had no problems, not even a mark. Then 2 weeks later I got trigger finger of that thumb. Very excruchiating pain when bending it and the tendon gets caught. It got progressively worst over 2 months, so bad I couldn't bend the thumb joint and the thumb started swelling.

I found some relief in my own self physiotherapy.

1. Using a foam pad used by tennis players to strenghten the grip, squeeze and released 20 times, 4-5 times daily. You must squeeze all the fingers on the foam block along with the thumb, do not press the foam exersizer onto the tendon.

2. Use a foot bath, fill with very hot just bearable water, soak the hand 15-30 minutes, and hold the area of the tendon onto the infared heater built onto the top of foot bath several times during soaking to keep the trouble area hot. Do this once a day, until water goes cold, very important, this reduces the swelling completely.

3. Hold the hand in a fist after the treatement for at least 30 mins per day, Do not do this whilst it is cold, it will hurt and get caught.

It's been 2 weeks now and the problem has nearly gone.

That's all, after recovery I guess a change of lifestyle will help avoid the problem.
|

replied September 21st, 2011
I've had trigger finger surgery a number of times. The first was no my middle finger, right hand. I would wake up at night in excruciating pain with my finger bent into a curve. I made a splint from a paper towel holder and installed it each night before going to sleep. After the surgery, I recovered quickly. The condition returned some years later and I had it repaired again. I've since had similar surgery on the index and 4th finger of the right hand and on at least one finger of the left hand. The reason I can't remember the details is that the surgery was done as an outpatient procedure and I recovered use of the hand(s) within a week or so. My right hand suffers arthritis in the middle joints of the index and middle finger (I am 64 and have had type 1 diabetes for 42 years).

I wear cycling gloves when I drive to provide padding between my hands and the steering wheel. This lessens the stiffness in my hands and gives me better control (absorbs perspiration, allows for stronger grip on the wheel).

I do a lot of typing as part of my job. I have good flexibility and strength for most tasks, though I am beginning to have difficulty buttoning cuff buttons with my left hand. My pinching strength between thumb and forefinger varies depending on the temperature. I've recently recovered the ability to snap my fingers on my right hand.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Deepak Anvekar