Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Intestinal Disorders Forum

Gallbladder Sludge

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Hello, I just found this site and thought I might get some advice. I have been getting really bad stomach aches and haven't been able to sleep much when it hurts at night which is more frequent now. Therefore I am cranky and have no energy, which I need to deal with my 2 kids 3 and 5, anyways I went to the doctor and then he did a ultrasound and they found no stones but sludge in my gallbladder. So I have looked up somethings on the internet, and found that what I thought was hives for over a month was probably a gallbladder symptom (itchy skin) and what I thought was horrible heartburn (i'd only had it while pregnant with my frist kid) was really my gallbladder. I am suppose to get an appointment with a surgeon to see if I need surgery. I am mostly scared about money because we have no insurace currently. He quit his job and we moved to a different town so he could go to college. I was working and then we moved again because he working now but is considered self employed (construction) and doing his school on the side, day care would take my paycheck form my basicly minimum wage job, so we decided to have me stay home with the kids until they go to school. Anyways because of this transition period we have no insurance. I am 26, by the way. Does anybody know how much this might cost. We are in nebraska. Any tips on what to eat I am so hungry but am afraid to eat if I can keep the pain from starting. Does anyone else know anything about sludge, I can only find things on gallstones.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper kacey222
|

replied December 11th, 2006
Sara...The sludge that you have in your gallbladder is pretty much what can become gallstones in the future. It's that simple.

To avoid pain you should try to stay away from onion, apple, too much fatty foods in general. It's very confusing in the beginning since we all have different tolerance for fatty foods and what will cause pain.

As for removing the gallbladder....Well, if you can avoid it, do so. Talk to your doctor and ask if you can reduce the amount of sludge with a change in your diet instead. It might be possible. Unfortunately they are way too keen on solving this problem by removing the bladder, and at the same time refer to it as a "simple and standard procedure".
However, it's not all that simple and mistakes can easily be made, which will make things worse afterwards than what they are today.

When I had my gallstone I ate a lot of veggies, exchanged red meat and pork for chicken and fish. I have some recipes in my food blog in my swedish kitchen if you want some tips on what to eat. There's a category there called "low fat" that have some recipes that are good for you. The change can be frustrating to start with, but it's better to do something about it before it gone too far.

Also, skip all fastfood if you tend to eat that. Otherwise you will end up at some point with a big mac in your tummy and pains that are beyond your wildest imagination.

I hope this helps a bit Smile

take care,

christa
|

replied December 28th, 2006
*waves*

hi sara,

i had my gall bladder out about 7 years ago but by then it had multiple stones in it and I was in constant pain. Don't be like me and not hear good advice until after the fact. Limit your fat intake (butterfat seems to be the worst) as it adds significantly to how hard your gall bladder works to get the bile out to break it down. Same with red meat and pork. If you don't take care now, you will form stones and your gall bladder will seize up on them when trying to function to break down fats. Ouch.

The post above me is very good advice. Follow it, talk to doctors until you find one who isn't going for the quick fix by removing it, and trust you are doing the right thing by asking questions now instead of just "letting them take it". Once you have your gall bladder removed, you then have other dietary problems which, in my opinion, can be far worse.

Silly me, I thought I had heart burn and milk made it feel better for a little while so I made it far worse than it needed to be until finally I couldn't eat and couldn't sit up most of the time from pain. I ignored it far too long. Get help now and maybe you won't need any surgery later.

As for money, if it does come down to an emergancy situation, there should be a program in place where you live to get temporary aid if you need it.
|

replied February 15th, 2007
Hi sara,

if you're asymptomatic - that is, you aren't having acute or chronic gall pain - then you're fine. Once you start having either chronic gall pain or acute attacks, you'll want to figure out how to have the surgery done as soon as possible.

The medical facts are that even a single acute attack can be life-threatening. You could have a stone travel out of the gall bladder and lodge itself in a duct. When this happens, the surgery is necessary immediately and more complicated. Chronic inflammation can lead to infection. Either way, the best treatment option if you're healthy enough to survive surgery is to have the organ removed. Once it acts up, it won't get better on its own. Life will be extremely unpleasant and there will be no end in sight.

If you have acute attacks, they will increase in frequency. If you have chronic pain, then your search to find a diet that doesn't trigger it will eventually reduce you to eating the blandest diet (vegetables, yogurt, fruit, repeat thrice daily) imaginable - and it may eventually still not matter.

There's a lot of "controversy" stirred up among people who proffer natural solutions, but very little controversy in the realm of medical science. The "gall bladder" flushes have been demonstrated to be nonsense. The vast majority of people who have a cholecystectomy have no digestive trouble following the surgery. Regarding the woman who said it isn't a simple procedure - you can actually find an outline of the procedure on the internet and it's about 20 steps from initial cut to final suturing! It's also the first operation that surgical students learn to perform, owing to its relative ease of execution. After my diagnosis, I talked to several doctors from different fields and different parts of the world, including a man who'd built a long and distinguished career on the diseases of the upper gi tract, and the concensus view was, "the risks to health and happiness of keeping a diseased gall bladder far outweigh the risks of having it removed."

(anecdotally, no one I know of directly or indirectly had any digestive trouble following their removal - that's five or six people, not including me, who were improved with no ill effects.)
|

replied March 3rd, 2007
I was significantly improved after having my gallbladder removed also. I had such bad pain it woke me up in the middle of the night, before I got it removed. The only way I could be painfree was to eat a totally no fat diet which was pretty darn boring. I got absurdly thin also. There canbe such a thing as "too thin".
http://rdoctor.com/symptoms_disease/conten t/view/122/2/
|

replied July 30th, 2010
I just had my gall bladder removed. I was having some severe attacks and some not so severe. I had a lot of sludge and ended up having an attack that caused chest pains. I ended up in the ER thinking I was having a heart attack (I am only 36). After the removal was over which was only a one day event. However it is two weeks now and I am still having pain in my right side. Not sure what is causing it and the doctor is not sure either.

Well, do what you think you think is best. There may be a clinic or something that may be able to offer monetary assistance. My sister is a Physical Therapist and before she graduated; she was going to clinics and said that some of them are very good.
|

replied August 15th, 2010
Total Nutrition Center Online - Dragon Fire
Try total nutrition center online, there is a product called Dragon Fire and one called gall bladder toner.
Talk to Nonna Vilk and she may have recommendations. (a nutritionist & Chinese med. expert)

This saved me, along with a lot of pears, apple juice, lemon juice, beets, berries, lettuce, olive oil, flax oil, avacodo, lowfat cottage cheese, chicken & turkey breasts, sweet potatoes. It's the heavy meats and bad oils that your gall bladder can't manage.

Salmon, tuna & other fish is O.K. if you are not in an acute stage, which you may be..

Dragon Fire & the Toner help clean and calm down that organ. I went to the emergency room after months of escalating symptoms. Then I got online and looked for safe food lists.

After a week on mostly apple juice and pears- I could
do whole sprouted bread and Nonna said an egg now and then wasn't bad. Then I added cotttage cheese (lowfat), turkey breast and chicken breast and so on- but slowly.

There are lists online of what not to eat- dairy, animal fat, white flour products, sugar, chocolate, beans (except green beans), gas producing veggies (broccoli, cabbage.

I've only had one slightly uncomfortable episode in the month since the emergency room visit. It's possible to heal your gall bladder, but it may always be sensitive to heavy fats, sugar and dairy. You also don't want to eat much late, the organ is busiest between 11 p.m. & 1:30 a.m.

Coffee isn't good for acute cases, but many blogs recommend New Orleans coffee w/chicory. All chicory is good for the gall bladder- but just try to find it.
Trader Joe's has this coffee and it's wonderful. Nonna said not to drink it in my condition. (rats~!)

Maybe you can?

Good luck and keep your gall bladder. Many friends have had it out, then gained weight, also are nervous about colon cancer- since the liver constantly leaks bile into the colon without the gall bladder to regulate it.

My friend who did Dragon Fire has a healthy gall bladder 2 years later and even eats cheese and almond butter, but otherwise only good fats like olive oil, flax oil and sunflower oil.

Hope this helps.
|

replied August 15th, 2010
Total Nutrition Center Online - Dragon Fire
Try total nutrition center online, there is a product called Dragon Fire and one called gall bladder toner.
Talk to Nonna Vilk and she may have recommendations. (a nutritionist & Chinese med. expert)

This saved me, along with a lot of pears, apple juice, lemon juice, beets, berries, lettuce, olive oil, flax oil, avacodo, lowfat cottage cheese, chicken & turkey breasts, sweet potatoes. It's the heavy meats and bad oils that your gall bladder can't manage.

Salmon, tuna & other fish is O.K. if you are not in an acute stage, which you may be..

Dragon Fire & the Toner help clean and calm down that organ. I went to the emergency room after months of escalating symptoms. Then I got online and looked for safe food lists.

After a week on mostly apple juice and pears- I could
do whole sprouted bread and Nonna said an egg now and then wasn't bad. Then I added cotttage cheese (lowfat), turkey breast and chicken breast and so on- but slowly.

There are lists online of what not to eat- dairy, animal fat, white flour products, sugar, chocolate, beans (except green beans), gas producing veggies (broccoli, cabbage.

I've only had one slightly uncomfortable episode in the month since the emergency room visit. It's possible to heal your gall bladder, but it may always be sensitive to heavy fats, sugar and dairy. You also don't want to eat much late, the organ is busiest between 11 p.m. & 1:30 a.m.

Coffee isn't good for acute cases, but many blogs recommend New Orleans coffee w/chicory. All chicory is good for the gall bladder- but just try to find it.
Trader Joe's has this coffee and it's wonderful. Nonna said not to drink it in my condition. (rats~!)

Maybe you can?

Good luck and keep your gall bladder. Many friends have had it out, then gained weight, also are nervous about colon cancer- since the liver constantly leaks bile into the colon without the gall bladder to regulate it.

My friend who did Dragon Fire has a healthy gall bladder 2 years later and even eats cheese and almond butter, but otherwise only good fats like olive oil, flax oil and sunflower oil.

Hope this helps.
|

replied December 1st, 2010
Experienced User
try the gallbladder clean out on the net - something like vinegar/lemon juice/garlic. also, if you know a good accupuncturist, they can help clean out - it is a spot on the lower right leg - if you want to do it your self it is pretty cheap. check out the net to find the right accu-point on your leg - it is about midway from knee to ankle; pressure on this after you to the mixture will amaze you - i think it is the vinegar that does most of the work but it's worth a try
|