Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Lightheaded All Day (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I feel dizzy all day. Not spinning dizzy, not dizzy when I get up from layin down or sitting just a strange lighheadness not like I am going to pass out or anything. I dont have ear or heart problems or low blood sugar I got everything checked.I walk around my house and I dont feel all there! Something is missing. It goes away when I am watching tv or have my mind on something else but my mind is so concentrated on how I feel so always have this lightheadness feeling!!! I cant stand it it drives me nuts!!!!!!! Does anyone else get this???!?!?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper deedee22
|

replied November 29th, 2006
Experienced User
Yes I get this all day too and have for the last 4 weeks. Sometimes it is so bad that I don't want tog et up for fear of falling over.

I too feel like I am walking around in a daze or that I am not quiet right. This is my only symptom of anxiety at the moment all the rest have gone and that is because I learned to deal with them. I don't know how you learn to live with this because it makes you feel so unreal. When I watch tv it goes too and then I might go to get up and do something and by the time I get to doing what ever it is the feeling is back. Mine is a bit like I am getting puled to one side or forward or backwards, sometimes it feels like I am just unbalanced

but knowing that you are the same as me makes me feel better.

Is your worse when you go to a shopping centre or docotrs waiting room etc?
|

Reply to Bek
Yes bek

when I go shopping I don't know what it is I really feel like im dreaming sometimes. I don't if its the lighting and all the signs that make me feel a lill woozy or what! I get it in the halls at school sometimes too.

I think part of it is my brain is always looking for that symptoms beacause when my mind is not on something like tv I think am I dizzy right now? And ofcoarse I am! Its just a lil mind game that I cant fix!

Im like you. All my other symptoms have gone away I learned how to deal with them I never really ever have panic attacks anymore.

I'm just left with that odd feeling of being not all there!
|

Experienced User
Do you have any medication for your anxiety?

I have .25mg of xanax to take on an as need basis - but it doesn't do much for the anxiety, it does make me less anxious about it but it is still there. I have also found that my concerntration and ability to make decissions is differant

i went to a meeting about 4 hours from home for 3 day on the third day I had to leave early because the feeling was so overwhelming I thought that I was going to pass out or fall down. As soon as I got out of the small room and into the street the feeling had halved.

Do you get tired too? When is yours worse?

I really hate it - lately I have been trying to go with it and because I have a 2 year old I dance and roll around with her and try and make like it is not there - doesn' make it go away though.
|

Bek
No I don't take any medication at the moment.

Im the kind of person who really hates taking medication. I read all this bad stuff about it and its side effects so I try to avoid it.

About 3 years ago I tried paxil for about a month and got strange side effects so I stopped. My doctor subscribed me lorazepam when I had real bad panic attacks and that worked amazing. There were no side effects at all. It was just a little green pill you put under your tongue and all your symptoms go away within minutes. The problem with that though is its not good for you at all and very addictive so I decided to stop and havn't taken any medication in a couple of years.

Yes I do get very very tired! Some days after work I feel very tired. People ask me to go out afterwards and I simply can't. I feel like I have just ran a marathon. Some days are better than other but generally I feel like I am always tired.

My sleeping patterns arn't the best ethier. If I have something important to do the next day I simply worry thats im not going to fall asleep and I usually get about 4 hours of sleep that night and feel horrible.
I tried sleeping pills. They worked but they are very addictive. I am taking a herb before bed called valerian it seems to work after 2 weeks taking it although I still dont get the best of sleep.

I understand where you are comming from right when I walk out of the mall I feel so refreshed and my symptoms seem to go away. The outdoors I always feel comfortable for some reason I never have any panic symptoms its just in some closed areas. I went to a concert and I was about 12 rows up everyone was standing so I had to if I wanted to see what was going on but I felt like I was going to collapse when I stood up my legs got real shaky. Right when I got out of there I felt perfect!

Its nice to know you have feelings just like me ( well it would be better if you didn't) but you know what im saying. Having someone to talk to could help the healing process and we could do this together and also others on this website could help us.

Take care and
stay in touch! I'm here if you need me!
|

Experienced User
How did your anxiety start?

I think that I have always been an anxious person, but I was official diagnosed 8 months after the birth of my daughter, I think the fact I was going back to work brought it on. But I also had major symptoms after I was misdiagnosed by my doctor with a slow heart - once I got to the cardioligist he assured me that it was normal heart rate for a young health person (60 bpm while resting and 47bpm during deep sleep)

so ever since that day I have felt like I need to check my pulse all the time. I went to 2 more cardioligists to make sure that he was right and they all came up with the sam conclusion - health heart, slightly anxious!

My symptoms since this have been, chest pain, neck pain, should pain, stomach upsets, head aches, shakey hands, hold hand and feet, dizziness (which has become bad as you know) fatigue (which is a daily visitor on most days) and moodyness!!!! Do you get that?
Also this might be a bit personal - is your worse at that time of the month?
|

Mine started in highschool when I dated my ex b/f he was a real a$$! For some reason I was affraid of being alone so I stayed with him. He would tell me "oh you better not get fat" and I am 5'5' and 105 pounds...Not even close to being there...He just made so self consious about myself and brought me down a lot of the time. Well he's gone and my new bf is amazing always complementing me but I think that self consiousnes is still there. I feel when I go out in public in crowed places people are always staring at me when they prob really arn't its just in my imaginiation, i'm scared people see my anxiety symptoms and are thinking in their head.. Why is this girl twitching ...Or shes so pale she looks like she is gonna faint! Stupid things like that run through me head so I get even more scared... I think thats how it all stared.

I got my heart checked out too and they said everything is fine. I was diagnosed with low iron about 2 months ago... I know the symptoms are tiredness and dizziness but thats only if your anemic ( low red blood cells) but im not even close to being there. I also never had low iron before and still had these feelings so I still blame it on the anxiety.

My symptoms used to be horrible... I would panic at work for no reason and have to run to the bathroom because I couldn't catch my breathe and I felt as if I was going to throw up. I would get lots of hot flashes and my hands would tremble once in awhile. About that time of the month thing. I seem to be the same i'm just more tired but thats reasonable.

I can understand how the birth of your daughter could bring on stress. Its a joy to have her in your life but its yor first child a lot of pressure and stress in taking care of her and plus your working. You have a lot on your hands. Some people can handle it but some have to work on it.. Which is me and you.

For some reason talking to you has made me feel a little better I went out with my bf tonight and for some reason I wasn't dizzy at all.....I get those days sometimes but its like once a month kinda thing

check how your breathing during the day. Are you breathing with your upper chest or lower? It should be lower. Sometimes I catch myself breathing with my upper chest and thats what can make you dizzy also. You subconsiously could be breathing with your upper chest and not know it. There are relaxation tecniques that train the brain to start breathing with your lower chest again.
|

Sorry bout the spelling errors I was typing real fast Confused
|

Experienced User
Yeah I felt better today to - I went to lunch and felt normal!!!! Slight dizziness but the whole time I was out I ws waiting for it - so this is why it comes on I think!!

Yeah I breath through the top of my chest instead of my belly - I try and breath through my belly a couple of times a day to retrain myself but so far I am still a shallow chest breather and I do hold my breath too (without knowing of course)

did you hear about greg (the yellow wiggle) he has a condition called orthostatic intollerance, I read into it, it is not life threatening at all. I read into it and my symptoms are soooo simialiar - have a search on the web and see what you think?

I bought a book on breathing but it has not helped - to old and more into posture etc.

My dr has asked me if I want to see a phsyhologist (one has just moved to my town) so I am considering that. They say that cbt has helped millions of people? What do you think?
|

replied November 30th, 2006
Yeah I just watched inside edition last night and I saw the clip about the wiggles guy. I freaked out a little!
I don't think we have orthostatic intollerance. The symptoms do sound close to anxiety though. Just reading those kind of thinsg just but more anxiety into our heads.

It could be do to our breathing I think I dont know! I find myself worse in the mornings and I get better as the night goes on. Usually when I get up i'm real tired and go downstairs to eat and i'm all dizzy but late at night I seem to be totally fine. Its strange.

I also find I feel a lot better on sunny days. Well you prob don't really have that problem. Living in ontario canada our winters are terrible its cloudy every day and all you want to do is sleep and you kinda feel depressed when the sun comes out half my feelings go away and I feel good again. I think part of it for me could be a seasonal disorder.

Yeah I suggest you do you see that phsycologist. It wouldn't hurt to try. Tell me how it goes. Your lucky because down here we don't really have any phsycologists just people who say they are counsellors and really dont' know what they are talking about so its not even worth it to go here.
|

Experienced User
My god we are so similar, I could swear that I wrote that post!!!!. Mine is so much worse in the morning and at night I am my old self - not a symptom in the world. So I go to bed all full of hope only to wake up feeling all the symptoms again.

I must admit though last night I was in bed at 9.30 because I was feeling tired, dizzy and depressed - first time in a while I have felt bad at night. I did work all day and clean the house when I got home and look after my 2 year old while my hubby was at the pub so I think that I just did a bit to much!!

One last thing - how is your throat? Mine has been heaps dry the last few days and I keep trying to clear it by coughing
|

My throat has been okay. I think there is something wrong with my ear. I don't think thats the reason for my dizziness though cuz I feel like that even if my ears are not bothering me I still get it. My throat feels tight on the left side one gland is a little swollen and my left ear feels not normal! Maybe just a cold
|

replied December 1st, 2006
Experienced User
Get that too. Th little glands below my ears and the little ones behind my ears! Only slightly swollen but I know the differance!
|

replied December 1st, 2006
Yeah just those ones! I wonder why that happens!?

Do you ever have trouble sleeping?

Last night I got 4 hours of sleep and today I am such a wreck!
|

replied July 31st, 2009
im 17 and yesterday i had an attack at school i was sooo scared i was crying in first aid i didnt now what was happening to me nothing like that ever happened
|

replied October 31st, 2009
deedee22 and bek...I hope you read this. I just came across this blog and out of all of the blogs i have read I feel that you two are a mirror image of me. Please let me know if you have found anything that has helped. I'm miserable and still haven't found anything to help make me feel normal!
|

replied March 2nd, 2010
i always feel lightheaded and a little dizzy not quiet right like almost tunnel vision whats wrong with me
|

replied April 24th, 2010
Hi,

I have have had this for a couple of months now. I know it is anxiety and stress and you have to keep telling yourself that and it will get better. I have been to the Doctors and she said it was stress as when i am ocupied doing something ie Sport (which i have no problem doing) or watching a film etc. But when i stop and do a body check to see if it is there it seems to turn up. I also get a dry mouth and that is also a sign of stress. I recently bought a book which the Doctor told me to read which had really helped. It is called Stress Related illness by Tim Cantopher. It explains everything. Its only a fiver on amazon. I hope this helps.

Brian
|

replied August 8th, 2010
I have the same symptoms.. I learned how to deal with panic attacks- although I do still get them and when I do they usually manifest themselves in an attack of extreme dizziness like I am being pulled down and I freak out a bit and then it subsides. I am constantly worried about being dizzy. It's not the type of dizzy feeling that makes the room spin- like vertigo- though I have had vertigo before- but it's more just a feeling of being "unreal", in a "dream-like" state, and feeling extremely WIRED and like everything is going so fast. I get it when I am in stores, or when I am home, it happens anywhere really. I always think that I am low-blood sugar, but I have been checked and I am fine.. any suggestions on how to deal with this???
|

replied August 10th, 2010
I got help and I am 80% fixed.

I had been feeling dizzy for the last 2 months, and after undergoing every single test available, I have just completed 4 weeks in hospital for depression and anxiety. Please get help now. I am on antidepressent medication and medication for anxiety and my life is nearly back to normal, and guess what, dizziness has gone away. Your GP should be able to recommend medication and Psychology services and I believe you really cannot do one without the other. Psychology services will help you deal with whatever it is causing the depression and anxiety.

If you are in Australia, google Healthscope. This is the hospital group that helped me and they have hospitals all over NSW. If you are in a private health fund, you should only need to pay your excess.

I truly hope my story will help you all. xxx
|
12 >>