Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Why Does Intercourse Hurt While Being On Depo? (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
I've been on the depo for 3 months now (1st shot only). I just called and canceled my next appointment to get the 2nd shot. It's just not for me.
^-^ I am one of those statistics that is having problems with it. Other than the other side effects I have posted before, I am the most concerned about this one. I am too nervous to even ask the professionals while they are talking to me in the room! When my boyfriend and I have intercourse, I feel intense burning pain inside of me. Not really burning I guess. It's more like friction. If I am laying on my back, it would toward the top of me. In alignment with my clitorus. We always use condoms and enough lubercant. I with held from any sexual interaction from him for a month. The poor guy. It hurts me too. I can't enjoy it anytime we have intercourse; it just hurts. I'm not sure is anyone else has had this problem or not. I have a feeling it is from my cervex tightening up from the hormones, but that is just a guess of mine. Before, when I was not on the depo shot, we had sex fine. Never on or just before my period because it hurt. *sigh* if anyone can give me some answers, it would be very helpful. I called and canceled. I am getting off bc for now. Too scared to try the pill or the patch in fear that it will have the same effects.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Kia
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2006
Community Volunteer
Nope, that is one of the wonderful side affects of depo.

Depo like side affects are not common on birth control pills.
|

replied November 29th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Depo can cause many women to have vaginal dryness, and thus they will have more painful sex and less elastic vagina..

This is temporary and results from the progestin.
|

replied October 9th, 2010
DEPO
I am so glad someone else has said something about this. I have been on Depo for about a year or so now, and just in the past three months has sex started to be painful. Like you said, intense friction, but cramping too. I also went about a month without having intercourse, because I didn't know what was wrong. I am also canceling, and I don't want to try other BC for fear of what it may do. Also, does anyone know if this goes away once you quit using the shot??
|

replied March 27th, 2012
I have been having the same exact problem. Like a little after i got on the depo shot, it hurt to have sex. When my boyfriend puts it in, it hurts so bad. Like i just lost my virginity, and when we keep going it hurts on the inside. Even if im wet, or anything it hurts. When i get fingered its fine sometimes. I dont know its weird , hurts and i hate it. I dont have stomach cramps but it just hurts to have sex.
|

replied May 14th, 2012
Try Nuvaring!! Sooo easy.. I have not noticed ANY bad side effects... never taking a pill again!
|

replied November 1st, 2012
I have the same problem...been on Depo for a year and it's still so bad. First of all, I was bleeding for 9 months straight like a period all that time, then it stopped. But since then, i've had painful sex and bleeding slightly when i go to the loo after. It's like a sharp burning pain when my boyfriend penetrates me, even if i'm wet or use lube. We've been together 3 years, i'm 17, but when he fingered me or we had sex before Depo it only hurt when i lost my virginity. Now, it's like a burning sensation when i pee, and it mainly hurts towards the rear end. It feels like something's ripped but when i look everything looks fine, and i bleed too. Have no idea if this is normal on Depo or there's just something wrong with me!! Avoiding sex like the plague! Gunna speak to my nurse about it next time i go for the shot..hopefully this stops if i stop having the shot!
|

replied November 14th, 2012
I've had the exact same thing!!! Like exactly the same ad you've just described! The doctors kept doing internal checks and everything was fine and they have now referred me to a sexual health counsellor because they think there's a problem in my head which makes me tense up or something. I'm so happy I'm not going crazy! Xx
|

replied October 10th, 2010
hey i also get i burning friction type feel after sex which i didnt have before depo injection, i didnt know that that was a side affect of depo, im just wondering if it is also unsafe to have unpretected sex when i havnt gone back to get my second injectoin ?? xx
|

replied June 18th, 2011
Depo
when i had sex or getting fingered my vagina wasn't dry , it was completely wet and it still hurts nomoree what . i'm 17 years old , and i hate it soo much '
|

replied November 8th, 2011
DEPO
i have in too, and a servere burning sensation when i go for a pee afterwards its horrible Sad
|

replied February 6th, 2012
Depo
Totally late, but I am having the same problem! I thought there was something wrong with me, but its just been recently. My second shot is what started it. Its driving me crazy, not because Im a sex addict, but I feel as if ill never have that special feeling with my loved one again. Has anyone figured out if eventually it goes away?
|

replied July 18th, 2012
depo
i have had the same problem. having sex has been so painful that we havent had it. and on top of it my husband cant even touch my clit cause it hurts. and im not sure what to do at all. any sugestions?
|

replied July 20th, 2012
I have had the same problems and I had no clue what was wrong with me I just delt with it I was to embarrassed to tell the clinic when they asked. So I have just been dealing with the pain. I have been on depo since May of 2010 so about 2 years. And it still hurts, I don't know what to do.
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2013
You should probably try another birth control method. I know it can be embarrassing and kind of awkward to talk about these things buy it's your health (mental and physical) that is involved. Hope you are doing well!
|

replied July 20th, 2012
pain during depo
I have had the same problems and I had no clue what was wrong with me I just delt with it I was to embarrassed to tell the clinic when they asked. So I have just been dealing with the pain. I have been on depo since May of 2010 so about 2 years. And it still hurts, I don't know what to do.
|

replied August 1st, 2012
Burning sensation while on depo birth control
I have the same problem now. I was on the depo about 2 years back and I didnt EVER have this feeling.. I dont know what to do. How do I help it ? Does it stay forever during depo ? I dont want to stop depo because birth control is a must.
|

replied October 21st, 2012
I just realized I have the same problem. I got my first Depo shot about 2 weeks ago. Sex is unbearable. It feels like I am losing my virginity every time my partner and I have sex. After awhile of pushing through the pain, it hurts less. But last night, I bled during sex. We had to stop. Also, I have been non stop spotting. Depo is ruining my mood and sex life. I'm depressed now because I miss when sex didn't hurt, and now I feel reluctant to have sex again with my partner, for if I might bleed during sex again. Please tell me this is temporary, because my next shot which I am going to cancel isn't until January 2013.
|

replied November 12th, 2012
I'm 19yrs old I've been on depo since I was 15 because my mother made me even though I was still a virgin. I lost my virginity last year when I was 18 whit my now ex boyfriend. It hurt when I lost my virginity like I kinda expected. But I didnt expect it to continue to hurt in a similar way each time after during penatration it was painful felt like he was breaking his way back in again each time. I thought it was something wrong with me until I talked to my doctor about it and she said it was proabably from being on the depo. I've never been able to experience sex without pain and the only person that I've ever been with understood the problem and was patient and gentke with me but now I'm not with him anymore and I'm trying to start a new relationship and I really need a solution to this pain during sex problem I dont want this second guy I might be with feel uncomfortable because I'm in pain and I dont want to be in pain anymore. I need help I want to experience sex without pain but I dont want to stop birthcontrol. Help.
|

replied November 14th, 2012
I have had all the symptoms you've been describing! I'm coming off the depo provera now and ill let you all know in a few weeks/months if sex still hurts Smile
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2013
Hello there. I was just wondering if you have experienced any changes since you stopped taking the shot. It's been a little while.
|

replied December 9th, 2012
I was on depo for 2 years and sex was almost impossible it hurt do bad, but my shot was due 3 weeks ago and it doesn't hurt anymore!! Just like magic!! So happy, my advise: come off depo!! Good luck to you all xx
|

User Profile
replied April 30th, 2013
Depo = painful sex!
Oh my god!! I have been stressing about this for months!!
I have been on the Depo Shot for over a year. At first, I just experienced vaginal dryness; I stopped getting naturally wet. But then I started experiencing really painful intercourse. Just like everyone else is describing it: burning, friction-like pain at the entrance of the vagina. Sometimes it hurts more than others and some times I bleed as well. This has been affecting my relationship with my fianc!! It's so depressing not to be able to enjoy what sex brings into a relationship. Even though sex is not the foundations of our relationship, it is very important. It's just an important part of bonding and intimacy between partners... And I just haven't been able to feel that for months now!!
I went to Planned Parenthood and got checked. They said they didn't find anything in my vagina or on the tests they did. Now I know why. And I am concerned that even though they know I am on the Depo Shot, they did not bring to my attention that it was my birth control that could be doing this to me. It's bad in any way you see it: they are either uninformed and unaware of this more-common-than-I-thought side effect, or they do know but don't tell you for some questionable reason.
Bottom line: I am glad my fianc did some research and found this forum,
I am most definitely never taking another shot! The bad news is that my last shot was early this month, so it will take at least two more months for the shot to wear off. And even after that... I am scared It will take longer for the pain to go away. As I said before: sex is not the MOST important thing in a relationship, but it sure IS important.
I will report back on any changes and I hope there are more women recovering after they stop the Depo. Please share!
|

replied May 11th, 2013
Depo
Has anyone found any type of birth control this doesn't happen on?
|

replied July 25th, 2013
Pain/Bleeding after sex on Depo Provera
I've been on the depo shot for 3 months now and my next shot is in about a week. I've been bleeding and such after sex the past few times, but not every time, and it always hurts a little bit. However, the last time my boyfriend and I had sex, I experienced an excruciating, burning sort of pain that lasted for a couple hours after sex. I plan on talking to my doctor about this but as I am only 17, I'm afraid to bring up alternate forms of birth control to my parents (They'll want to know why and I'll have to tell them my boyfriend and I are having sex still). My boyfriend is very understanding and is willing to deal with the occasional bleeding but now that it has started hurting, I'm not sure if I should continue the shot. I have been very skeptical lately regarding the depo shot. I keep finding out about side effects I'd never ever been told about by my doctor and I'm just not sure if I trust it anymore. Although the pain and bleeding sucks, I'm really glad to hear that other people are having this problem too and it's not just something wrong with me or my boyfriend!! I really hope the pain stops eventually. It's just embarrassing and I want to enjoy sex again!
|

replied August 6th, 2013
Hello, I received my first depo shot a week ago, about 5 days later I was experiencing slight itching and burning in my vagina. More so when I urinate its not unbearable just a bit uncomfortable!!! Is this normal the doc did not tell me about this being a possible side affect.
|
12 >>