Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Community Chat Forum

Male Pill 'to Work In Single Doses'

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
27th november 2006.

'.British scientists are developing a male contraceptive pill which can work in a single dose, it has been claimed.

The pill could be taken hours before sex but allow a man's fertility to return to normal, with no-side effects, within hours, the daily mail reported.

The new hormone-free pill is being developed at kings college london and could be on the market within the next five years, the newspaper claimed.

It is the latest development in continuing work to develop a male pill, as well as other methods such as implants and injections for men.
Earlier this year, research published in the lancet found that men who take hormonal contraceptives see their sperm levels return to normal about three months after they stop using them.

Last month, it emerged that scientists have been developing a chemical contraceptive that temporarily blocks sperm development without interfering with testosterone levels.

The results of trials on laboratory animals, published in the nature medicine journal, had shown the contraceptive effect is reversible, with no apparent long-term side-effects.

According to the daily mail, the new pill contains chemicals which prevent ejaculation, without affecting the intensity of the orgasm.

The pill was inspired by observations that some drugs used to treat illnesses such as high blood pressure and schizophrenia can prevent ejaculation, the paper reported.

Scientists then began looking at how the drugs did this, and started creating a pill which could do the same thing, but without side-effects such as drowsiness and dizziness.

The paper said that if the new contraceptive is successful, it could net large amounts of money for kings college, which owns the rights to the discovery.'
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 27th, 2006
Community Volunteer
They've been developing "male contraceptive pills" for years at least 10 and they have never got anywhere.

Besides would anyone really trust a man who said he was on the pill???
It's not like he's going to get pregnant is it?
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Hahaha!!! I don't think i'd trust a man who said that, no... They're all liars when it comes to their thingies....
|

Extremely eHealthy
That is too funny.

Great point though. I wouldn't trust a man to take his pill!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Great points! I think they should have the same side effects as women except for the blood clots and all of the total negative stuff as I do not wish that kind of stuff on anyone but we all know pretty much all men have pms but they do not bleed or like you say get pregnant. It would be great if they did take them, it sure would be a load off of alot of women but what about the long term effects, how long has this pill been under investigation or trial? If I could still get pregnant, I am not to sure if I could trust the guy either. Do you people that get free medical assistance in other countries have to pay for your b/c, I know that some do in the .U.S.A and others do not. I bet they would be expensive being new. My concern for the men would be the long term affects, just like the viox and other meds here that have been pulled due to serious side effects.
Allie_18, thanks for sharing!
|

Extremely eHealthy
If both of you decided you didnt want kids for a while, it would be cool if the guy could go on the pill instead of us! Lol
sandyallen if you are on the pill over here in the uk, you dont have to pay for it whether you get medical assistance or not. You can get the emergency contaceptive pill free too on prescription...I think. If its free for women im guessing it would be free for men?
|