Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Slight Bleeding After Taking Abortion Pill And Misoprostol (Page 1)

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
Hi... I read the post of rach 7676, seems like I will have to face the same problem in the near future. I just finished taking abortion pill and misoprostol but my bleeding is not that heavy as expected, though the first couple of hours were heavy and clotty... Do u think I have an incomplete abortion? Im afraid that the medication was not successful..Until now I still have slight bleeding, like an ending-menstruation period.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper Analee
|

replied November 25th, 2006
When did you finish the drugs?
|

Extremely eHealthy
I replied to her pm..

The material she described that was expelled seemed to be fetal tissues and placental tissue.
|

replied April 19th, 2013
2am after the medical abortion procedure i was bleed very heave blood clots came out until 5am i had heavy bleeding but it turns into lighter and lighter bleeding is iit normal?? until now my bleeding is just like the ended of menstruation.pls help me i am so worried
|

justgottaloveit wrote:
when did you finish the drugs?

i finished mifepristone last wed and took the misoprostol 24 hours after. Thanks carifairy for your reply on my pm. Justgottaloveit, theres something whitish that comes out after I used misoprostol, it looks soft and around 7 cm long and a little thick, like blood clot but I noticed its clear/whitish, and the red color of the blood covers it. I think heavy blood and clots last only for maximum 8 hours (not sure coz I was sleeping and I get up every 3 hours) then the whole day of friday its like a normal ending period of my mens. But until now I still bleed and have saome cramps. And this morning theres a small blood clot again. Do u think thats normal and successful?
|

User Profile
replied November 28th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
That doesnt sound sucessful to me. But how far along were you? You cant expect alot of you were only like 4 weeks pregnant? Surely it would just be like a normal period?
|

replied November 29th, 2006
cherry88 wrote:
that doesnt sound sucessful to me. But how far along were you? You cant expect alot of you were only like 4 weeks pregnant? Surely it would just be like a normal period?

im almost 7 weeks that time... Do u think I have to take another misoprostol again? Yesterday I have a quite heavy bleeading and very clotty, but now its slight again...I'll just keep my fingers cross that it was successful...
|

replied November 29th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
For it to be unsucessful there would have been no bleeding at all!
|

replied August 8th, 2011
I am sorry but that is not true. I was 8 weeks when I took the pill two weeks ago. I went to my doctor on Saturday and my abortion was sucessful butI continue to bleed and they say it's normal.
|

replied February 8th, 2012
I think u misunderstood what she was saying Wink
|

replied March 4th, 2009
i am so confused
Iam sorry but i have to butt in with my own question here...I took a methatextrate injection 6 days back. then took four misoprostol pills yesterday. its been nearly 24 hours and i though i had diarrhea like crazy yesterday , i haven't bled yet...how long does one need to wait for it to start??
|

replied March 15th, 2009
abortion pill advice...
ONLY take this pill if you are VERY VERY early,not a day over 6 weeks,and you have had a child before and have carried it full term and had a natural/vagina birth.
Do not choose this option if you are very young,your pregnancy is a day over 6 weeks and have not had a child!
This pill is NOT the easy way out you could be on your bathroom floor in pain for days,
I hope this information helps you in your time of need...
|

Sadbuttrue is Absolutely Right!! That pain was absolutely horrific & had I known it would have been that bad in the beginning I would have taken my pain killers a half hr before the medical abortion pills... Had I only known!
|

replied June 14th, 2012
They should have told you in the clinic about taking pain medication before actually taking the pill. The nurse told me to take pain medication at least a half hour before. But just to let you know these pills are more effective than surgical abortion. I did the surgical abortion first and the doctor didn't get the whole thing out! I was only 5 weeks! So now im doing the medical abortion to get the rest of the tissue out. By the way, this is 100 times less painful than the surgical abortion, recovery time is quicker, and its waaaaaay more effective. I just feel like im going through bad menstrual cramps.
|

replied June 1st, 2012
Um, this is a useless comment. Do not go preaching your stuff on a forum ABOUT medical abortion. Trying to say that you will be on the floor for days is completely NOT true, I've been through it and it was nothing like that. Don't try to scare women out of something that I AM SURE they have thought long and hard about.
If anyone read this and it influenced you in any way I am sorry. There's a lot of biased information on the internet, either the one extreme or the other. Yes your experience with the pill depends on how far along you are and your pain threshold. So, therefore listening to anyone on the internet that says something like this comment, would not be very helpful.
|
Users who thank mikaford for this post: dontworrybehappy123  alykilimason 

replied May 1st, 2009
Spotting and no cramps?
I took the mifepristone orally yesterday and i inserted the first 4 misoprostol vaginally last night. I don't have any cramps and I'm just lightly spotting, no clots or anything. Does this mean it isn't working? Anyone else experience this?
|

replied April 16th, 2014
I just wanted to update this. I can't speak for anyone else as I'm sure its not the same for everybody. But for me, I was 6 and a half weeks when I took the oral pill at the clinic and followed up with the insertional pills at home. I had my pain meds and a heating pad on hand, but I never experienced any cramping, or any pain for that matter. I didn't bleed a lot either, just light spotting like the beginning or ending of a regular period. I didn't see any tissue whatsoever either. I was so stressed and afraid, I was sure that it hadn't worked. But when I went back for my follow up, I found out that it was successful. I hope this helps anyone looking for the same answers I was.
|

replied May 15th, 2009
abortion pill
i took mifepristone on wed and today in the morning i took misoprostol bleeding started like an hour later after taking the pill but i dont have cramps with the bleeding . does this mean its not working? im 5 weeks yesterday
|

replied June 9th, 2009
HI, i just did the abortion pill this past weekend and for you girls that are trying to do research on it TRUST me it HURTS!!! I WAS IN PAIN FOR 10 HOURS, i was told that the pain i had is the same as having birth contractions. i dont have kids but a friend told me is the same pain! i was devestated and on top of the HORRIBLE pain and got diarreah and vomitted. i swear it has to be THE WORSE DAY OF MY LIFE. its been 3 days and i'm still cramping and bleeding not as bad as that day when i took but pretty bad period cramps and dont know when its going to stop. DO NOT BELEIVE the doctor when he or she tells you that the pain is just like menstrual cramps IT IS NOT!!! i was about to call 911 and my husband was going crazy because i was on the floor crying of how painful it was. i would never have an abortion again! OH and to top it off emotionally its worse because you feel everything that is happening to what could of been your baby. I LEARNED MY LESSON AND I WILL NEVER HAVE AN ABORTION AGAIN but if you must DO NOT PICK THE PILL!!!! and odnt believe the people at the clinic they are just selling it to you since its 600 dollars!! a regular surgery is only 400.
|

replied November 17th, 2011
The reason why you were in such pain is because you took it orally. They give you tywo choices but taking the 1st pill orally and then the insertion of the other 4 cause LESS pain.
|

Yes.. I took it orally as well and I'm believe it was a higher dose than some of these other posts are staring bc my pain was extremely severe! I broke out in to hot sweats bc it was so bad I felt mayb a tinsy but of nausea but that passed quickly & I never threw up. If anything at all I was literally on my bathroom floor trying to hang on to the toilet seat in case I kind find any strength at all to crawl up so I could go to the bathroom! And Yes I believe the kids should know about this bc it's very real pain. However, my clinic didn't candy coat it they told me straight up that it would be severe & that I should take my pain meds before the abortion pills. But I wanted to manage the pain accordingly aha! Not smart, I should have listened to what they said. The nurse told me that one of the other patients too 4 pills at once bc it was so bad! I'm not saying that's what anyone should do & that's why I wanted to monitor my own pain, however I would have at least taken my pain meds a half hr prior to the abortion pills. I'm also a pretty small girl, well I'm 28 but still small & short so that could also have somethn to do w/ it?? I guess. Oh, & if labor pains are Anything like those Severe Cramps were than I will Never give birth!!!
|

Yes.. I took it orally as well and I'm believe it was a higher dose than some of these other posts are staring bc my pain was extremely severe! I broke out in to hot sweats bc it was so bad I felt mayb a tinsy but of nausea but that passed quickly & I never threw up. If anything at all I was literally on my bathroom floor trying to hang on to the toilet seat in case I kind find any strength at all to crawl up so I could go to the bathroom! And Yes I believe the kids should know about this bc it's very real pain. However, my clinic didn't candy coat it they told me straight up that it would be severe & that I should take my pain meds before the abortion pills. But I wanted to manage the pain accordingly aha! Not smart, I should have listened to what they said. The nurse told me that one of the other patients too 4 pills at once bc it was so bad! I'm not saying that's what anyone should do & that's why I wanted to monitor my own pain, however I would have at least taken my pain meds a half hr prior to the abortion pills. I'm also a pretty small girl, well I'm 28 but still small & short so that could also have somethn to do w/ it?? I guess. Oh, & if labor pains are Anything like those Severe Cramps were than I will Never give birth!!!
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
I think that the horror stories I read we're the worst part of the whole ordeal. I am on day three and am certain this has worked. I had some cramping and nausea but not much, definitely not comparable to labor pains at all! Then again I hear it's worse if you have never given birth. Nonetheless, I did not find this to be nearly as bad as most have written. I believe that people who don't have such a hard time are less likely to take the time to write about it. Everyone's body is different and not as many as you think have emergency situations as a result of this medicine. Be strong, think positively and be Ina comfortable environment with a helper. Other than that the rest is genetics. So roll your dice with this or experience a d&c which I imagined to be more emotionally detrimental as well as causing possible scar tissue preventing pregnancy in the future.
|

User Profile
replied June 24th, 2009
abortion pill
barbeic 212...you really shouldnt come on here like that, not everyone experiences it to be that way what so ever. i just had one and the pain was very tolerable, some people have higher tolerances of pain and to come on here and say DONT DO IT, DONT BELIEVE THE DOCTORS that just really scares other girls!!

anyway. i came to this site because i wanted o see if still bleeding after is normal and i have searched and found that it for the most part is. so girls, wait for your check up date unless you sincerely think and are worried that something is wrong!
|

replied June 29th, 2011
Medical abortion with misoprostol
Sarbear0000
Thank you very much for your reply to barbeic 212. I think that we all know that more often than not we hear the horror stories about procedures that we are not familiar with. I just finished a medical abortion procedure and I have had virtually no problems. I used the standard protocol of 800mcg inserted vaginally and then another 800mcg 24 hours later. I had very minor cramping, albiet more than during a usual period. I did not bleed profusely. I even never soaked a pad. I passed the sac about 12 hours after I took the first dose (I was about 9-10 weeks along based on LMP). I am now about 12 hours post second dose and I am down to a mini-pad. I did have some chills for a short time about 4-5 hours after the first dose. They were not debilitating and I was still able to get my kids fed and put to bed.
While recognizing that all bodies are different and have different reactions to medications due to both physical and emotional responses, I found the medical abortion procedure to be quite "easy". I was not at all comfortable with the thought of a surgical procedure and am glad that I chose the medical option.
|
Users who thank GladIDidIt for this post: Poproxy 

replied March 5th, 2012
Very true! It's very important that you go to a reputable doctor and take your pain pills BEFORE you take the pill! And still everyone reacts differently. It's important to hear different experiences. I just felt some mild cramping.
|

replied March 10th, 2012
successful abortion
Hi here can you tell me how many weeks you were pregnant. I finished my tablets last night and had cramps and very light bleeding. Im only 5 wks and 3 days. Not sure if it has been a success.
|

replied March 10th, 2012
successful abortion
Hi here can you tell me how many weeks you were pregnant. I finished my tablets last night and had cramps and very light bleeding. Im only 5 wks and 3 days. Not sure if it has been a success.
|

replied June 1st, 2012
Gladididit...pls im 6weeks and a day old today being 1st june,i and husband doesnt want d baby.pls i need ur assistance,d exact drug to take n d prescription. Pls i will appreciate if u can reply me today.thanks
|

replied June 25th, 2009
my experience..abortion using misoprostol..
i came across this page, even if this is quite an old thread still i want to share my own experience..

i just had my own abortion exactly last june 9, 2009 (Tuesday)..i was about 4 weeks..i took misoprostol, it think this is similar to Cytotec. 3 orally and 2 through my vagina. i was taught to have the lower part to be well elevated,. and so that was what i did,

a few minutes after drinking and inserting misoprostol, i had immediate high fever, chills and i was just not feeling right,. (note, this is just how it may have reacted to me, and others could be different.)

an 1 and 30 mins after, i felt my first cramp.. another 1 and 30mins after the second came.. i was anticipating crampings so much..so make sure that somehow the pill was working. by the way, i took it exactly 12midnight..

5:30am, i removed the pillows that elevated my lower part. i slept the rest of the time until i woke up at 8am.. i got up.. (also, i was already wearing a sanitary napkin the whole time, expecting bleeding.

so i got up and checked on the napkin, i found nothing, but after walking around the house, when i checked again, there it was... blood.. (dark brown, it even have the plasma like thread of blood).. it wasn't much at first but it got plenty the days after..

Wednesday, i was absent from work, i was experiencing cramps now and then.. tolerable.. for me.. still having brown blood like menstruation ..

Thursday, i was experiencing heaving nausea/headache.. to describe, its what you feel when you haven't eaten for days, like you just have to faint. exactly like when you have not eaten..each time i eat right away to ease the feeling.. after a while, i get nauseated again.. still having brown blood like menstruation..

Saturday..afternoon, i felt something slide out of my vagina.. i thought it was just the usual blood the came out like menstruation..when i checked it in the bathroom..

i saw, a circular quite thick dark blood clot,, about an inch in diameter.. and at the side, a muscle like membrane.. to my fear, shock, guilt.. immediately flushed it down the toilet.. but the details are vivid.. i am sure that was it.. the embryo..

the menstruation like discharge.. went on for 2 weeks +

June 22, 2 weeks after that the day i took the pills, and 1 week after i saw that thick blood clot.. i had a pregnancy test again.. it tested positive,, a doctor friend told me that the hormone HCG is present when you are pregnant and that is detected in pregnancy tests. she assumed that maybe coz it hasnt been long since i might have lost the assumed embryo..the hormone HCG might still be present.. she suggested i go to an OBgyn to make sure that i was okay, clean and free from any infection... and also to make sure if i did what i did, it was successful..

i will have to go to an OB for now.. so far, i really want to share my experience.. its a tough moment for any woman.. i am having a hard time going through mine.. i dont know.. i may not be the same person again because of what happened to me.. thanks!
|

replied July 26th, 2009
hi...

i just want to share my experience....i took the 3abortion pills on friday evening after an hour i had bleeding with clots but that was not painful...just like normal periods....then after that day the bleeding took place like normal period ...so if u r in a very early stage of pregnancy then this misopristol pill is not scary at all...
|

replied August 14th, 2009
My experience with misopristol
Another experience:
I took 4 misopristol yesterday after discovering that there was no fetal growth or heartbeat. When I was supposed to be about 8 weeks along the fetus only measured 6 weeks, after a second u/s 2 weeks later it had actually shrunk, so it was time. It took several hours for cramping and spotting to begin. It was moderately bad, just a bit worse than period cramps, but tolerable w/ pain meds. I had very heavy bleeding all day with several big clots like the size of a dime up to about 4 inches in diam. last night my pad stayed clean probably because I was lying down. This morning as I have walked around I did have normal spotting/bleeding but it seems the worst is over. Overall so far the experience was far less scary than what I had expected. So, I only wish and hope for those also experiencing this, that it be as easy and qick for others. Good luck to you all and don't worry everything will be ok!
|

replied September 10th, 2009
I'm having a medical abortion tomorrow...a little scared...
Hi all! I'm on here doing my research b/c I am scheduled to have a medication abortion tomorrow morning. I'm 24 years old and only about 5 weeks into the pregnancy. The main thing that I'm really worried about is the cramping. I don't exactly have the best tolerance for pain, but I do usually cramp pretty bad on the first day of my menstrual cycle. I usually handle that with Tylenol and a heating pad. Do ya'll think I'll be able to handle it? Will it be a little easier being that I'm only 5 weeks? Any pain meds that worked well for ya'll? I'm pretty sure I can handle the bleeding. I am already expecting large clots, and I'm planning on sitting on the toilet the majority of the time to let it pass. Any advice would be so greatly appreciated! Thanks!
|

replied September 20th, 2009
Hi ladies,
I just took the abortion pills orally 24 hrs after the first pill administered by my doctor. 15 minutes after the pills had absorbed in my cheeks I began to bleed heavily...within 30 minutes I started having contractions. They say "cramps" are what you will get but that was not the case for me. I get cramps, heavy ones during my first two days of menstruation and this was nothing like that. My uterus was contracting and the only thing i could do was sit on the toilet and hold on to bath tub with one hand and the sink with the other to hold myself up. I started having these contractions like I said a half hour after the pill. I also started having blood clots as well and passed something that looked like a pinkish ball within the first hour. The contractions came in waves like during childbirth. I used some deep breathing excercises and quick constant breathing as well to get through the worst pain. I was shaking and moaning. It helped to have cold water in the sink and tub to splash my hands in, also cold wash cloths for my thighs and for my face. I was drinking alot of water as a distraction and thought it would help but by hour two of being on the toilet I vomited about 6 times very violently and then felt so much better. After that the cramping started to feel like normal cramping and I was able to lie down. I ate pretzels and plain rice with soy sauce so I could take a vicoden. That helped me. I am at 54th hour since I took pills. I just started getting more cramps and a blood clot and bleeding and am hoping this is normal. Of course I am tempted to call and find out but I think its normal to bleed afterwards. I am pretty sure I passed the pregnancy...no way I had that much pain without it working. I feel sad tonight too and a little depressed. This is what happens though when we make this decision....just remember there is no right or wrong decision. Do what is right for you. Bless
|

replied September 28th, 2009
Medical Abortion with Methotrexate and Misoprostol (Cytotec)
**Warning: This is graphic, but honest.*

I'd like to add my story to this thread in hopes that it will help others who are considering medical abortion understand what it can realistically be like. Every woman responds to the drugs differently, so experiences vary, but that's exactly why a clinic's general blanket statement that the cramping and bleeding is "like a heavy period" is so misleading! I strongly feel that clinics should explain the possibility of intense pain in addition to their usual description of the milder spectrum of pain that is experienced.

My clinic stated that "This medicine will cause cramping and bleeding, which may be heavier than what a patient normally experiences during a regular menstrual cycle. The doctor will prescribe a mild pain reliever for any discomfort."

In actuality, my experience was exactly like having painful labor contractions, not period cramps. And, the doctor prescribed me Vicodin (a narcotic) NOT a "mild pain reliever".

It all began with Methotrexate, taken in the clinic to stop the growth of the fetus (7 weeks LMP). During the drive home I felt my throat tighten to the point that I couldn't swallow, and I felt dizzy. After the tightness subsided, I stopped to eat to ease the dizziness, but it did not help. Later, nausea ensued.

On Day 3, I took 2 Vicodin. Then I dissolved 2 tablets of Cytotec (200 mcg each) between my cheek and gum for 30 minutes. This seems to be a lower dose than prescribed for many, and I wonder how in the world women take 800 mcg at one time (???) I began vomiting. I had contractions, though not intense, with no bleeding. A few hours later, I had a second wave of contractions that were painful, and spotting. A few hours later, I had horrible contractions that caused me to moan loudly, despite taking more Vicodin (which may or may not have exited my body due to vomiting). I passed clots and blood only while sitting on the toilet. The day was very much like going into labor and contractions building up to childbirth.

On Day 4, I saw black, thick ropes of blood come out while on the toilet and some dry looking blood, like the end of a period. My left ovary was sore with constant, sharp throbbing, which made me worry about ectopic pregnancy. So, on Day 5 I called the clinic because I wanted to confirm before taking my next set of Cytotec that yes, the ultrasound ruled out the chance of ectopic explosion. After reassurance, I took the remaining 2 Cytotec pills (200 mcg each) and experienced moderate cramping. I did not vomit. I passed clots and a steady stream of blood for a minute or so. I continued getting up throughout the night to pass clots and bleed, though not heavily. Also, I farted a lot which released a lot of gas from my abdomen.

On Day 6, my abdomen felt lighter, softer. Bleeding and clots happened lightly and only when using the bathroom.

On Day 8, I felt cramps like bad period cramps. I passed a very rubbery clot about 1.5 -2 inches long. It was not fluid and didn't break up like the other clots. It was dark black with some lighter pinkish area. In the lighter area I saw two tiny, gray, gelatinous-like dots on flaps directly opposite each other (eyes??). I saw an area that seemed a bit stratified like muscle, and dark pink tissue that looked like it had a small, black, round organ under the surface (like a clam's stomach). I was only 7 weeks and read that I may not see the fetus, but I do wonder if this was it??? It was a difficult psychological experience.

I took 1 Vicodin. I had side effects that I had felt a few evenings before when I took it, except way worse. My pulse slowed down again and was much fainter. I had difficulty swallowing. I felt a heavy tightening of muscles in my back, behind my heart. I had difficulty breathing. I was awake all night with my mind racing with weird snippets of dreams.

The very next morning, I called my friend and whispered for help. I could not speak aloud because I ran out of breath. He hurried over and rubbed my tightened back and got me food and drink, and I was able to regain strength. I decided to deal with the much milder cramps with a heating pad only. I continued to pass clots and blood during bathroom visits only.

Here it is Day 10 and I'm controlling the period-like cramps with Ibuprofen. Bleeding and clotting is light during bathroom breaks. My boobs are no longer hard, taut and sore. My basal temp is lower. I think I may live through this and the worst is over.

My recommendation is to go for the surgical. Friends and others who have gone surgical state that it is pretty painless and over in minutes. BUT, if you choose to go medical, here are some tips:

1. Don't do it alone! Have a support person nearby at all times for food, drink, comfort, and in case of emergency.
2. Use a heating pad. It helps immensely.
3. Have pain meds nearby and take them a little before the pills.
4. Sometimes it helps to rock back and forth, sometimes to lay still on a heating pad, sometimes to vocalize the pain or breathe deeply. Do whatever works.
5. Bear down when using the toilet. Also, try massaging your abdomen downward.
6. I used moxibustion on my abdomen to get blood flowing and ease cramps. It is a roll of mugwort that is lit like incense and then passed over the abdomen like a wand. It is used in Chinese medicine.
7. Drink lots of water.
8. Eat lightly between nausea spells--ginger drinks, crackers, soup
9. Rest a lot. Don't exert yourself as it encourages more bleeding.
|

replied October 10th, 2009
Hello I just had the medical abortion today and found it to be ok.
I have already had two children and only experienced mild contractions until passing the membranes.
I had 4 tablet vaginally and diclofenac for the pain. Here they also give codein phosphate which counters the dioreah effect of the 4 tablets.
I ahd the 4 tablets at half 12 and by 15.00 felt mild cramps - i took cocodamol.
I knew i needed the toilet but was scared to go so I plucked up the courage and went about half 4 and felt it slide away, I didnt look as that would have made me feel so much worse than i already do. Now its 20.22 and i have the odd twinge and bleeding intermittantly with some small clots.
I was approx 45 days pregnant and have already had 2 kids so in my case I do not think my experience was as bad as the evil ward sister at the clinic made out to me it would.
I react terribly with anesthetic so a surgical termination was definately off my agenda, Yes it was terrifying but the anticipation is much worse than the reality plus you can be at home and I have managed even with my 4 and 1 year old.
Its a rollercoaster for any woman to go through and never did i think id ever be in this situation but i think if you try and keep positive then it wont be so bad.
Much love for anyone going through this but you will get there in the end!!
|
Users who thank beginningthatneverwas for this post: littleseabird