Medical Questions > Abortion > Medical Abortion Forum

Severe Bleeding a Month After Abortion

Must Read
A D&C is a standard procedure. But it can be scary when you don't know what to expect. Learn about what happens during dilation and curettage to prepare yoursel...
Dilation and curettage, or D & C for short, is a procedure that is used to diagnose and treat a number of womens health conditions. What are some goals of a D a...
A D&C usually is free of problems, and the recovery period for the procedure is short. But knowing about possible complications can help you detect problems ea...
I had an abortion on 21st october, for three weeks after I has slight bleeding as normal. Last monday 13th nov, I had a gush of blood and a couple of clots come out. The same thing happened tuesday and wednesday, then bleeding started normally. I assumed I had commenced my mensturation as it had been 4 weeks since the op. However, again now I am having gushes of blood and in the last two days 5 blood clots have come out.

I am scared about what is wrong.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper red72cup
|

replied November 24th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
What kind of abortion did you have?

Aboriton by pill is most likely to cause these types of problems, which is why I reccomend surgical, less bleeding and spotting .
|

Surgical Abortion
I am living in japan and therefore had an operation as this is the only option available.

I assumed at first the bleeding was from mensturation but it is going too long and too much.

I am not having any pain at all. And there is no bad smell to the blood.

I am scared that this problem will mean I can not get pregnant again.
|

Extremely eHealthy
No, proloned bleeding does not mean your fertility is ruined at all. Only other extreme complications would cause that.

Definately speak to your doctor about this, but it can be normal.

If women are active, exercise, or work too much after an abortion, bleeding will increase.
|

Thanks
Thanks for that. I will go to the doctor today and let you know what happens. I am worried because the amount of blood that has come out of me is too much for just being left over from the operation and it is like fresh blood. So I am scared about where it is coming from.
|

Especially eHealthy
It is possible that it is coming from a piece of placenta still inside of you, which is trying to pump blood into the absent fetal tissue. This is why you need to go see your doctor. It could be just exersize, or it could me something more severe.
|

Re: Thanks
rach7676 wrote:
i am worried because the amount of blood that has come out of me is too much for just being left over from the operation and it is like fresh blood.

your body is probably a little off still from the hormonal difference and it is probably just a heavy period. Consult your doctor and just make sure everything is fine.
|

Just Got Back From Hospital
Just got back from the hospital. They did an ultra sound and said there is still stuff inside me. So now I have tablets to take for 10 days, this is supposed to stop the bleeding in 2-3 days, once the ten days is finished I should have a period and then return to normal. If this does not stop the bleeding I need to go back for another operation.
|

replied November 25th, 2006
Re: Just Got Back From Hospital
Did they give you birth control or antibodics? Did you have a medical abortion originally or surgical?
|

Extremely eHealthy
She had a surgical abortion...

I am shocked that they left tissues inside of you, usually after a surgical abortion they ensure that everything was removed.

The tablets will help expel the leftover tissue, I know what they are called here in the us.

Most likely there was placental tissue left, that could be why there was no infection or fever that you would have noticed.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
You mean that they do not give you a d&c afterwards? (just curious)
|

replied December 29th, 2011
hi just need an advice i have pills abortion last october and i still have blood after 2 months it wont stop then suddenly this december 2nd week my blood stop and im so happy coz i know after that i have a normal cycle again.but last 3 days i have my normal blood and its heavy like a water and im scared i have stomach pain slight.my question is it is normal to have a heavy blood?i didnt go to doctor coz here in my country where im working its not allowed to have an abortion can anyone help me thanks..
|

replied July 9th, 2012
It's been two weeks since I ended my pregnancy. In the first week I had lite bleeding but since yesterday its been very heavy. Today I even had to leave work because every 5 min had to run to the bathroom. I'm scared. Big chunks of clots are coming out. Anyone knows what's going on?
|

replied August 17th, 2013
hey, i had a surgucal abortion a month ago. A day after the abortion i had a fever that almost killed me for three days and my stomach was very painful. On the third day i went to a doctor who told me that there was stuff inside me and he said they had to be removed. It was so much expensive so i went to the doctor that did the abortion and removed the stuff again. I have ever since been bleeding though lightly and sometimes its just brown stuff thats coming out.I am very worried of what might happen. Three days ago i had sex and the bleeding has increased. Can i be infertile or is it a surgical problem.im so worried please help.
|