Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Forum

Nasal 'scabbing' Eventually Creates a Hole In Septum (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
Hi i'm 19 years old and have had a problem with my nose since I can remember. I had a fall when I was 3 yr's which deviated my septum. Also a scab like substance formed. As long as I can remember whilst I was growing up up I would pick/blow this scab formation out of my nose.
Around 3 years back I saw a doc about it he said ' dont pick it an it will heal' this is imposible cause it gets that big and irritating that it nearly blocks my breathing (already cannot brethe through right nostrel due to the fall)
i've had it,
and I was told today that it will be there for the rest of my life. If I pick/blow more it will eventually wear a hole in my septum.

Has anyone had any similur problems? Are there any nasal sprays that will enhance the healing so I dont have to have a irritating scab for the rest of my life.

Other problems with this is I have flem build up constantly and very loud breathing cause of the blockage.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper zeroc
|

replied November 18th, 2009
I have the same thing- been to many drs & noone can help me. I knock the scab off & it comes back. If you get any results let me know.
|

replied May 2nd, 2013
A doctor finally explained it to me. It's caused by the inability of the that side of the nostril to drain. He said to use a double (not triple) generic over the counter antibiotic ointment for 7 days then put a small amount of clear Aquaphor (from Eucerin company for dry, cracked and irritated skin) over the septum surface. This is safe to use indefinitely. He was very clear to use only the tip of my clean pinky (nail trimmed of course) and only to the first knuckle and be very gentle. So far so good for me. This happened after surgery to correct a deviated septum. hope this helps if you still have the problem this many years later.
|

replied February 8th, 2010
Scabs Inside Nostrils
I've been dealing with the exact same problem for over a year now! I guess it's just like a scab on your arm: if you pick it off, it just starts bleeding again and then a new scab forms. It's a never ending cycle! If I don't remove it, my nose hurts and I can't get any air in that nostril. After I remove it, I feel so much better for a few minutes but then my nose just starts bleeding again and the scab re-forms! Like I said, it's a never ending cycle! HELP !!!!!
|

replied February 19th, 2010
Hi, I've found regular old saline nasal spray really helps, it softens up the crust that's there and helps it melt out without ripping off and making the damage worse. It also keeps my sinuses moistened so they don't keep trying to wet themselves and the crust doesn't form near so fast. I used to wake up every morning barely being able to breathe and now my nose almost feels normal most of the time!
|

replied March 3rd, 2010
Nasal scabbing - hole in septum!
Hi, i am also experiencing the same problem! I had an appointment at the hospital yesterday and unlucky for me i have already developed a hole in my septum. They said this could be due to an operation when i was 18 to fix the nose (which was unsucessful!) but they are now suggesting repeating the operation again and also inserting a plastic button to cover the hole in my nose! Sounds disgusting i know, im sick at the thought of it!
|

replied April 21st, 2010
Nasal Scabbing
Hi, I have had the same problem for years myself. In my left side only, never in my right. I have had 2 sinus surgeries with no resolve. I saw a Dr in Mass Eye and Ear in Boston for 2 plus years and he said he did all he could for me.

Been very frustrating. Some things help ( Saline Nasal Spray, Personal Steamer, Nasal rinse�) but it keeps coming back.

I''m going to save this page and check now and then to see if anyone replies with some positive results.

Good Luck
Jim P
|

replied May 2nd, 2013
A doctor finally explained it to me. It's caused by the inability of the that side of the nostril to drain. He said to use a double (not triple) generic over the counter antibiotic ointment for 7 days then put a small amount of clear Aquaphor (from Eucerin company for dry, cracked and irritated skin) over the septum surface. This is safe to use indefinitely. He was very clear to use only the tip of my clean pinky (nail trimmed of course) and only to the first knuckle and be very gentle. So far so good for me. This happened after surgery to correct a deviated septum. hope this helps if you still have the problem this many years later.
|

replied April 24th, 2010
I have had the same thing with scabs in my nose for like 5 years, I finally went to the doctors the other week and she prescribed me a cream called Naseptin. The scabs are completely gone now within a week. It hasnt been long enough to see if they come back without the use of the cream however the tube is huge and so if I do ever get a recurrance I have the cream at hand to use straight away.
i did try using saline spray but it just dried my nose out more after a while and was very drippy. this cream is way better.
The only problem is, you cant use it if you are allergic to nuts as it contains peanut oil.
|

replied May 6th, 2010
I''ve just recently acquired the same problem however mine also includes the ear. My ear healed with the use of peroxide and leaving it alone. So far the nettie pot and benedryl has been the only thing taht seems to help, but still not gone and hurts like CRAZY when I try to leave it alone so it can heal!!! I am starting to think nose amputation will be the best option. lol j/k
|

replied May 9th, 2010
Sound like what ive had for the last few months. im leaving it alone and going to the doctors tomorrow
|

replied May 24th, 2010
savlon people.
|

replied January 15th, 2012
What does "savlon" mean?
|

replied September 13th, 2010
hole nose
I had a doctor appointment today for my nose,
There is always blood in my nose, and bloot clots that stops me from breathing. Only thing i can do is clean it out so i can breathe.
Doctor said i have a hole in my nose for the rest of my life and if gets worse ill be in hospital. And im the youngest girl he knows with this problem.
That made my day !!! Sad
|

replied October 5th, 2010
Annoying nose scab
Check this out..seems like the best but move difficult and annoying thing to do is NO CLEANING for 2 weeks and use polysporine every day several times a day.

When you want to clean add ointment

Fox
|

replied October 26th, 2010
I've been having this for about a year. I use a&d ointment on my right nostil and it helps for a couple of weeks. Then after about a two week period it start bleeding again... like clockwork. I don't do a good job of "not touching" my nose, but I do put a&d almost daily to keep it under control. If I don't use oinment..it bleeds every 2-3 days. I'm going to try not touching my nose..its just difficult because by nose gets clogged and I really need to blow it out.... never ending cycle....
|

replied April 6th, 2011
Ive had a similar problem ever since i was little it was worse when i was younger the scab would literally form to the opening of my nostril almost like a barrier and it caused me to have trouble breathing, now a days my nose is always red on the outside and swollen on the inside, on the out side my nose looks dry and kinda flaky and my nose is very tender, on the inside my nose hurts and a little split has occurred from trying to remove the scab several times. no matter what i do it just keeps coming back! any help would be great!!
|

replied April 23rd, 2011
nasal scab
if you want to "cure it" get the scab removed and then get the hole cauterized!!! It really works.
|

replied May 8th, 2011
hi anyone else get the scabs just on their nasal septum? I have one that continually crusts over and when i blow my nose and it comes off my nose throbs like crazy putting a lot of pressure on my eye to the extent my vision becomes really blurred. I've seen an ENT who said there is no sign of recurrent infection on a scan i had but i think he's missing the point as its the septum that's the problem, not my sinus. Anyone else had a similar experience?
|

replied August 2nd, 2011
I have had scabbing inside of my nose for over 4 years and now..
I have a giant larger than pinky sized hole in my septum. If I don't clean my nose out daily it hurts very bad and blocks both nasal passageways making it impossible for me to breathe through. I also snore at night so on bad nights I wake up and my head hurts badly. It feels like I haven't been getting nearly enough oxygen. I went to an ear nose and throat doctor two years ago and it was so expensive that I can't afford to go back. I have no money, no insurance, and healthcare/insurance companies suck. Today if the doctor suspects you have a problem they have to ask insurance companies for permission to do their jobs. Since the cells inside of my nose are constantly trying to repair itself, I've been reading up, this makes you more likely to develop cancer. Cancer in the nose is hard to detect and often is found when it is too late according to my research. Since the nasal cavity is so close to the brain and has such a rich blood flow that comes from your jugular this cancer can spread quite easily to any place in your body.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied October 10th, 2011
nose
Im 40 had a scab inside my nostrils since 20s, You cant help 'picking' at them at they get sore. I now have a very large hole up my nose. I went to ENT who tested for cancer, but its just through all the picking and scratching at it. Its a constant battle. I go to bed with loads of vaseline up by nose but I still end up scratching at it. Im scared it can turn into something bad or totally collapse!
|

replied February 27th, 2012
I have also had scabbing inside my left nostril for 2 months now. Same thing with me, as soon as I clean it up, it bleeds & re-scabs. Then I blow my nose & its totally irritated! I'm thinking it is a drainage type of allergy that is seeping out of my skin and creating the scabbing. The same scabbing occurred in my right ear for 8 yrs then it moved to my left ear for 1 1/2 yrs. I was free of all scabbing for about 6 months. I had a food sensitivity blood test(ALCAT)that said I am completely intolerant to sugar. So I believe if I can keep my sugar consumption real low, like 10grams per day, I should be scab free! I have to get really focused to do this, otherwise I will keep band-aiding the true problem! Food is our medicine!
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
nose scab
I have had this scab for 9 years. I feel it inhibits my breathing at times and I need to get it out. Whenever I touch it it moves my septum over and then I get an earache in the same side ear. Also my septum moves from side to side and hurts. Any ideas
thank, Kate
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
nose scab
I have had this scab for 9 years. I feel it inhibits my breathing at times and I need to get it out. Whenever I touch it it moves my septum over and then I get an earache in the same side ear. Also my septum moves from side to side and hurts. Any ideas
thank, Kate
|

replied August 3rd, 2012
I have the same problem and have had a scabby sore on my nasal septum on one side for about 8 years. The first ENT I went to said leave it alone, it should go away. That was 4 years ago and it is still there.

I finally saw a different ENT two days ago and he told me I have a deviated septum that is causing turbulant airflow through the nostril and that is keeping it dry. That is why the sore doesn't go away. He told me to use Ayr Saline Gel on the sore inside the nostril to keep it moist. So far, I am noticing improvement! It burned horribly the first time I used it, but it hasn't hurt since then.

He did tell me that sometimes the sore will heal and sometimes it won't. He recommended that I have surgery to correct the deviated septum. :/
|

replied November 2nd, 2013
I tried the Ayr Saline Gel as well, but it made me sneeze every single time, thereby expelling what I placed inside. I ended up throwing it out. Sadly, the Naseptin is not available in the US, but maybe the Bactrim Ointment is and I will see what another doctor can do for me. I've had this problem for at least 20 years and it's only gotten worse since moving to a dry climate 3 years ago.

Thanks for all the good tips from everyone and because so many suffer with this issue, there's got to be treatments available.
|

replied May 22nd, 2012
I finally went to the doctor this past week & he prescribed Bactrim ointment to swab up my nose & oral Keflex for what he considers an infection. Ive been using these meds for 3 days now & I'm seeing a significant relief from scabbing! Yahoo!
|
Quick Reply