Medical Questions > Parenting > Parenting Community Forum

Scratching?

Must Read
What is chicken pox? And what are the stages of the infection? Click here for chicken pox basics....
How does chicken pox spread? Click here for information on who is most at risk of contracting chicken pox and how children and adults get chicken pox....
What do chicken pox look like? We outline the signs and symptoms here with info on possible complications and when you should seek medical help for the pox....
User Profile
Alyvia has learned how to scratch. She'll spend so much time dragging her nails across anything she can reach! Her toys, my upper chest while .I'm nursing her, the couch cushions...

Is this a normal development thing that happens, like when they discover their feet? Confused
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 22nd, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
I'm not sure if it's anything more than a stage they go through, but I remember when my girl went through it. Oh how those little baby nails hurt. It didn't matter how often I clipped them.
I felt so bad for her the day she scratched herself. Crying or Very sad
|

Extremely eHealthy
I know this is different because aly is older...But lucas used to scratch his face (cheeks) a lot from about a week after he was born upto 3 months ish. I dunno why they do it? His skin didnt look dry but I put different creams on it to try stop him scratching, incase it was really itchy, not just a habit he got into. (sounds weird I know) other times I wouldnt put anything on it, and he still scratched. I had to keep his nails really short, which you should do anyway cos of all the bacteria you get under them, and kept something on his hands most of the time. Mittens were too big...Or just didnt stay on Evil or Very Mad so I ended up using baby socks on his hands! That worked and everyone thought it was cute lol Laughing
|

Extremely eHealthy
Brayden still does this and he's almost 9 months old, sometimes he'll scratch the fabric on the couch because he likes the noise, and other things because hes just feeling it. Sometimes he'll scratch me but I dont think he means too, it's normal girl no worries.

They'll grow out of it! Laughing
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
Re: Scratching?
ayamiyaki wrote:
alyvia has learned how to scratch. She'll spend so much time dragging her nails across anything she can reach! Her toys, my upper chest while .I'm nursing her,

noah does the same thing. I think he started doing that right around 2 1/2 months or so.
|

Especially eHealthy
Nana's been doni that for a while now!!! She does it to everything but her face.

Her favorite is her lower legs when she's sitting up!! Shocked I look and you can see tiny scratch marks on her lower legs and ankles. She actually grabs it!!!

She's crazy!!!!!!

Sarah
|

User Profile
replied November 23rd, 2006
Community Volunteer
Ya it's normal. Trey did it for a while. Now he pinches with his nails. It's great.... Rolling Eyes really Laughing
|

User Profile
replied November 24th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Chu scratches his mattress at night and it drives us nuts!!! We moved his bed into our room because i'm a paranoid nutzo and his scratching in his sleep wakes us up but he stays asleep Laughing when he's awake he scratches us and the couch pretty much anything he can reach. His doctor says that it's essential to developing coordination. I guess that I could see how that's true but I can't wait for him to grow out of it!
|
Tags: parenting, feet
Quick Reply