Medical Questions > Womens Health > Birth Control Forum

Mirena Iud? Anyone On It Or a Doctor Want to Help? (Page 1)

Must Read
Birth control is helpful in preventing pregnancy. Need to know more about birth control? Start here to learn more about popular methods of birth control....
You have many birth control options. Each works differently. What are the choices and what should you consider in order to help you make your decision? ...
Each method of birth control comes with risks to your health. What are the general problems you could encounter?...
Is anyone having any symptoms like this?
Yes
No
Not on it
I LOVE IT
38%  38%  [ 5 ]
7%  7%  [ 1 ]
23%  23%  [ 3 ]
30%  30%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 13
Hi, I was wondering if anyone else is using the 5 year mirena? My doctor talked me into it after getting pregnant so fast after my first child. I agreed and now i'm a little mad that I did. Not to complain, because I do like it better then the pill. I am having some strange symptoms since having it inserted in my uterus though. I have severe cramping, but its strange it lasts seconds and comes back later. I have very unusual discharge. (at least its unusual to me) its brown discharge which means old blood, but its semi chunky. That can't be good right? I also have had severe headaches since getting this. Is anyone else out there having the same problem? Please let me know so I know im not alone here.
Thank you Question
Did you find this post helpful?
|
Users who thank JuliaL1981 for this post: GreenGoddess 

replied November 28th, 2006
Same Here
I dont know ive been on the mirena for 1 yr now nothing but problems pretty much... Ive had 5 infections (which ive never previously ever before have had one) 2 cysts almosts large enough to require surgery and now this brown discharge/bleeding??? I dont know im ready to have it removed . I have not got pregnant which is obviously a good thing, but everything else is too much. The infections I cant diagnose on my own I will get low cramping maybe discharge then have to go get an internal then have to take antibiotic. So I dont know if its really worth it. I had the mirena inserted exactly a month after a miscarriage which I had to have a d and c and I just dont know what do anymore.... Maybe someone on here will help us both out good luck to you ...
Tiana :
|

replied November 29th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
The first 3-6 months on mirena can be full of everyday spotting or even full blown bleeding, so this is normal.Brown chunky blood is blood that has set inside if the uterus for awhile, it is also normal.

Progestin can make headaches worse, and there a non-hormonal iud called paragard.

I had a mirena for 1.5 years, I bleed every single day of those 1.5 years, I switched to paragard and I am fine.

Mirena should be given 3-6 months to settle in.
|

replied January 17th, 2007
carifairy wrote:
the first 3-6 months on mirena can be full of everyday spotting or even full blown bleeding, so this is normal.Brown chunky blood is blood that has set inside if the uterus for awhile, it is also normal.

Progestin can make headaches worse, and there a non-hormonal iud called paragard.

I had a mirena for 1.5 years, I bleed every single day of those 1.5 years, I switched to paragard and I am fine.

i have had my mirena for 10 months and i;m getting rid of it very very soon. I can't take all the crap unspoke of side effects. The headaches, the nausea, the cramping, weight gain (40 lbs), sore boobs, discharge, angry all the time, depressed, lethargic, and many many other things. So not 3-6 months won't nessicarily cure the side effects. If they become worse or continue to be bothersome then don't hesitate to have it removed.
|

User Profile
replied January 17th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I'm on the mirena coil and I absolutely love it. I've had no problems whatsoever. I don't get any periods and I just forget it's there
|

replied February 8th, 2007
Same Situation
Yes I did exactly what you did. I had my first child 15 months ago and when I went for my 6 weeks check up I had it put in.. At first I liked it. I did bleed for the first month or 2 then it completely stopped and havent had a period since.. But throughout I have had alot of discharge to were I have to wear a pantliner all the time, I have been extremely moody and very angry.. Feeling very depressed at times and then these past couple of months I have been cramping so unbelievable bad in my lower back and im not exactly sure why.. When I gave birth, all my labor was in my lower back so it may have been caused from that but before I got pregnant, all my cramping was in my stomach.. Also my sister and my aunt are on it and they both are goin on 2 years havin it. Their periods stopped at first as well and now both of them have gotten their periods back after 2 years.. But they both seem to like it pretty well and everyone else I have talked to seem to like it too.. Hope this helps
|

replied February 9th, 2007
I had my mirena inserted about 6 weeks ago, so far so good. I opted for this method because I am close to 35 and a smoker. My doc didn't want me on the pill after 35, she said mirena would be the best thing if I want to keep smoking. It was very painful getting it put in, but it was over and done with in about 5 minutes, giving birth was worse. I had cramping for the rest of the day but I have been fine since. My doc wanted me to stay on the pill for a few more months to make sure that the mirena works with my body. So I am still on the pill for another month or two and my period this month has so far been very light. I am a little worried about whats going to happen when I do go off the pill in a month or two, but so far no problems. I have been hearing a lot of negative stuff about mirena, but so far I have nothing negative to say.
|

replied April 11th, 2007
Should I Or Shouldn't I??
My son will be 10months on the 16th of April. My dr recommended mirena because the women on my mom's side of the family have had "female problems". My Aunt had a stroke at 24 because of the pill, my other Aunt went into a coma. My mom just had all her parts removed because of endometrial hyperplasia. (not sure if that's how you spell it but you get the point). My dr says that this is better and won't hurt me. I would really like some more info on the subject but i don't want to ask the dr just yet... they sugar coat everything. please let me know. thx
|

replied April 12th, 2007
Re: Should I Or Shouldn't I??
scraig wrote:
My son will be 10months on the 16th of April. My dr recommended mirena because the women on my mom's side of the family have had "female problems". My Aunt had a stroke at 24 because of the pill, my other Aunt went into a coma. My mom just had all her parts removed because of endometrial hyperplasia. (not sure if that's how you spell it but you get the point). My dr says that this is better and won't hurt me. I would really like some more info on the subject but i don't want to ask the dr just yet... they sugar coat everything. please let me know. thx

I have now had the Mirena for 4 months and so far I love it. It as very painful getting it put in, but only for about 5 minutes. I am still on the pill for 2 more weeks, but my periods have been very light lasting 1-2 days since I have had it put in. My doctor wanted me to stay on the pill for a few months just to make sure everything is ok. The periods that I have been getting are more brownish and not red like normal periods. I have read about people getting lots of cramps but i only had cramps the first day it was inserted. I haven't gained any weight since I have had it inserted and I have had a few headaches, but I think they are because of my kids driving me crazy. i was really nervous about getting it but so far I am happy with my decision. Hope this helps.
|

replied June 4th, 2007
Mirena Iud Or Implanon?
First of all, let me give you a low-down on my history. I had my tubes tied when I was 25 (childfree, did not want). I've had severe cramping all my life, been on several different prescriptions over the years (since menstration), and was put on Depo (I smoke) and have been on it for approximately 6+ years and have been advised by my physician recently, that because of my age (42) and the longevity of being on Depo, that he wants to do something else. He wanted to give me a hysterectomy, but because insurance will not cover, I can not afford, so I have been given 2 other options, Implanon or Mirena IUD (but will still have to pay out-of-pocket, but less expensive). I read on the Implanon site that you should not smoke, so apparently it is down to 1 option, Mirena! But from what I've been reading, women are having problems (but most already have kids). I am wondering if there is someone out there that can help me make a decision on what I should do.
|

replied June 4th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
I too am childfree, and have had a tubal ligation.

I would recommend Mirena, the main problem with it is irregular bleeding, which would/could happen with implanon, and depo, because they are 'progestin only' methods.

You will likely have spotting and irregular bleeding patterns for some time, but it wil help with cramping and pain.
|

User Profile
replied June 5th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
I got the mirena IUD and got it taken out after 9 months of severe cramping and 20 extra pounds. Oh, and fighting with my husband constantly and acne.

But I want to make it clear that not everyone experiences this, some people swear by it and love it. It is really really convenient and reliable and inexpensive. It is just like most other pills, some people get the nasty side effects and some people don't . Only I think that most people don't for the mirena... or at least that 's been my impression. And you aren't supposed to have cramping that whole time. My doc (different than the one who put it in) thought maybe it wasn't in right. BUt no one ever bothered to find out.

Oh, and my insurance didn't pay for it, so it cost about $650 to get it in and $100 to get it out.

Thank god for the pill.
|

replied June 5th, 2007
Mirena Iud
Carifairy, glad to know I'm not the only one childfree (hurray!). Anyway, when I was put on depo, I had irregular spotting and dark bleeding for approximately 2 years before I completely stopped, so I'm just wondering if the same thing will happen if my doctor agrees to put me on Mirena? I will find out hopefully Wednesday whether I will be a candidate or not, then I will have to save my money if I am! I will let you all know how things go!
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2007
Especially eHealthy
The good thing about Mirena for me is that it made my period stop altogether right away...l think it's pretty common for it to lessen, if not go away.
|

replied June 6th, 2007
Extremely eHealthy
Cashondeb-

Mirena DID cause me to bleed everyday for the entire 18 months that I used it, but I kept it because the bleeding was light, and I had ZERO cramping.

I never gained weight, but I also exercise for 1.5 hours every day, and eat very well, so that plays a role too.
|

User Profile
replied June 6th, 2007
Advanced Support Team
I have had my mirena for a little over a year. At first I was very unhappy with it and almost had it removed. I had severe cramping from the moment it got put in for about 8 months after. The cramping finally subsided and hadn't had any problems since for the most part. I do get real crampy once a month and they are pretty bad cramps. They last about a week and then are gone until the next month. I had my iud inserted while on my period (doc said to) and the bleeding stopped immediately after insertion and I have not had a period since that day!!! That I love. I forget that it is even there. I had so many problems with other methods of bc. The pill was too hard for me to remember to take and gave my high blood pressure and so did the nuva ring which was just a pain in the butt. Always slipping out and moving around, etc. So I have to say overall I am pretty happy with the mirena. I'd give it a little longer before you give up. Like I said mine took atleast 8 months and when I mentioned it and saw my doc she said that it is just different in some women. I wouldn't switch bc for anything!
|

replied July 31st, 2007
~I had my Mirena inserted December 12th of this year...it's now almost August and everyday since December, I've been bleeding brown blood (it's so gross). The cramping, mood swings (I'm also on Premarin), it's just not worth it. But like everyone sais, everyone is different so it will effect them differently. Personally, I'm not pleased with the Mirena & plan on getting it taken out soon...very soon.

Carifairy wrote:
The first 3-6 months on mirena can be full of everyday spotting or even full blown bleeding, so this is normal.Brown chunky blood is blood that has set inside if the uterus for awhile, it is also normal.

|

replied February 2nd, 2011
not sure what to do
i just got it put in. they messed up the first time so had to do it twice, very painful. i couldnt move for about 40 min afterwards. i have had it now for about a month but im usually always spotting brown blood and its just gross but i guess this can go on for 3 to 6 months. which will effect my sex life, not happy about that. but i feel like it will be better to have this because its one less med ill have to take everyday. not many of my friends have this so i dont really have anyone to talk to about it.
|

replied January 19th, 2012
I got that thing out of me a long time ago and I am happier for it I got an infection and that was the problem. I do not recommend Mirena at all! I was a guinea pig when it came out and never again will I be one of those. Good luck anyone who tries it. If you like it more power to you!
|

replied May 31st, 2012
I'm 20 and I got the Mirena inserted about a month and a half ago. The doctor told me to take 3 ibuprofin before the insertion because it might be painful. I can handle pain very well--it was beyond pain for me. I had severe pain with the insertion and I was very light-headed and I felt like I was gonna vomit at any moment. She had said it was normal...until I vomited four times. Apparently that is not all that uncommon? The day after was the worst. I had severe back pain to the point that I could not move or get up out of bed. She checked it and said everything was normal. Now that I've had it for about a month and a half, I have been very paranoid with it. She said that my periods would be abnormal and can be heavier the first three months then lighten up. I have not gotten my period...just spotting. The spotting went away, but now I have the same brown chunky discharge and it's gross. Not only that, but the cramps are terrible. They just sit there in my lower back. Was it worth it to get the Mirena:(
|
12 >>