Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Appendix and Appendicitis Forum

Pain on right side of torso

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I have had right side pain for 2 days on and off now.seems to worsen after meals with alot of belching.What should I do i have been taking tums PPIs and no relief. Kaye

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied December 7th, 2006
Appendix, Appendicitis, Gallbladder Disorders Answer A1879
You'll need to provide a more precise location of the pain when describing your ailment to a doctor (Where exactly on the right side are you experiencing pain?). Several acute conditions can cause pain on the “right side” of the body such as: appendicitis, renal colic, billiary colic, ovarian cyst rupture or infection… Some of these conditions can be urgent, when located in the acute abdomen (like appendicitis), and may require surgical intervention. In such cases, the pain is extremely severe. Taking painkillers in cases of an acute abdomen is a great mistake because calming the pain can mask the real disease. An acute abdomen can be diagnosed only with a physical examination.
According to your description, it doesn’t seem likely that you are experiencing the symptoms of acute abdomen. Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are not painkillers and won’t help you to relieve the pain. Metoclopramide, might help calm the belching. You can go to your primary health provider for an examination and diagnosis of these symptoms.

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Appendix and Appendicitis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.