Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Fainting Or Seizure??

Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....
I recently went for a gynecological visit and get really anxious and sick feeling when I go for appointments of this sort. I have always fainted but my eyes roll to the back of my head and I jerk violently on the table when I black out. My family physician has always said that I was just having fainting spells. This new doc said it was definitely a seizure. This has only happened when I was super nervous about something, always being a doctor's appt. Of some sort. I usually black out, when I come to I am unaware of where I am or who the people are around me but this only lasts for a few minutes. I am wondering if anyone else only has this problem when put in stressful situations and what you might think about it. The ironic part is that I am on several anti-seizure meds to treat my bipolar disorder so I would think maybe they would have prevented this recent seizure/fainting spell from happening. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 4th, 2011
I think when I faint, my reaction is quite similar. I am not sure it is a seizure as such but I am VERY disoriented afterward. But it is only related to anxiety. It makes me even more anxious about a lot of things.
|

replied May 26th, 2011
seizures, or fainting spell?
When I was young, they said it was epilepsy, but that was because they had no other explanation...that was also back in 1975. As a kid, on meds from 6-13, I actually only had 4 of these episodes. All were when I was really sick, really tired, or really stressed....trauma of some sort. I don't think I would have had anymore if I was off the medication. I didn't have any in Barry's Bay, or when in college...but I was never really sick either. I did pass out after being in the car accident with my brother when I was 18...no one said that was a seizure. In my 20 years that I've been in Ottawa, I've had 5 episodes of being unconscious. I've always referred to them as seizures 'cuz that's what I was told when I was a kid. After the brain hemorrhage, that they could never explain the sudden onset or sudden disappearance of, they put me back on medication for 1.5 years. The hemorrhage is what caused me to black out, not the other way around...severe headaches are proof of this. I did not have another one. This was in 2004. I've been fine, until now. I cried all day Sunday and Monday...feelings of being overwhelmed. February and March I was off for 1.5 months, due to not being able to cope and being burnt out.Monday night I got up to put drops in my sons ear. I got the beginings only of my past auras..hungry/ nauseous feeling. I did the usual sit down on floor and put head between knees. When it passed, I got up. It happened again, but I did not get the rest of the aura,things soundings far away and underwater. My son said I went from a standing position to hitting the floor hard...my wicker laundry basket can attest to this.I, apparently twitched a lot and breathed heavily. I came to covered in a cold sweat and disoriented for a few seconds. My doc is not sure, but neurologically I am fine. I have never lost control of bladder or bowels, which usually go together with the grand- mal seizures I was supposedly having. I have never been convinced of my diagnosis or that I needed to be on medication. She is setting up the appointments for a CT scan and with a neurologist, so we can get to the bottom of this. We shall see if they turn anything up. Good luck to you guys.
|

replied July 8th, 2011
It sounds to me that you have had panic attack. If you are sure that you are jerking, then you have had seizure.
|
Quick Reply