Medical Questions > Cancer > Leukemia Forum

What Causes Lukemia to Be Fatal

Must Read
Click here for basic info on leukemia, including diagnostic types and how doctors classify this disease of blood forming tissues....
Is leukemia inherited? Read here for more info on what causes leukemia and what environment risk factors or triggers you might avoid....
Leukemia can affect many parts of the body, including the organs of the cardiovascular and digestive systems. But what are the major symptoms of leukemia?...
I have a family member who was just diagnosed with all lukemia. He is 89 years old and not in any shape to be aggressive with treatment. The doctor put him on steroids last week. His white count was doubling daily. Our family has come to grips with the fact that this condition is fatal. We are most concerned right now with how it will happen. Can anyone tell me what happens at the end of this disease? What fails? How much pain? How do we know when it\'s coming to the end? Thank you...Desperate for answers...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 12th, 2006
Hello,

i am sorry to hear about the leukemia and the outcome it will bring. I can not tell you what happens at the end of this disease, however I can tell you that my mother passed away with from lung cancer, at the end she could not feel pain with the medicine she was given. She was with the hospice program (wonderful organization)and they were there for her and all immediate family members.

Try not to think of what is going to happen at the end - try to make the best of what time you have together,that is most important I beleive.

Monique
|

replied February 1st, 2009
23 yr old with leukemia
Is or will it become fatal? or is it very treatable? my friend is in Cleve. Clinic at this time and awaiting a bone marrow transplant.
|

replied February 14th, 2009
leukema
I also have a friend at cleve clinic awating bone marrow transplant, very worried
|

replied March 3rd, 2009
aml lukemia
is aml luekemia is the worst one ? what is the course of it
|

replied August 31st, 2009
my son had low wbc for several years, never diagosed with anything other than neutopenia, just watch and see. He was taken to the ER with critical platelets, some type of infection into his body with fever, kidney failure with failed dialysis, then brain bleed, we soon found out he had AML and so fast moving that nothing could be done to save him. I am heartsick that something should have been done during those watchful waiting period of time, although he was not sick. No answers do we have on this disease and what happened, our heads are still spinning. My son was only 24!
|

replied October 14th, 2009
my friend was just diagnosed with leukemia, sorry i dont have any answers for you jmitchell. but i was wondering if anyone knew how fatal it is. is it likely that the chemo he is having will work? does anyone know?
|

replied January 27th, 2010
Hi all, my name is steve and i was diagnosed with cml at the age of 9months old, i was very lucky that the doc noticed my low wbc, i was given a low percentage for living but with chemo and a complete bone marrow transplant and removal of my splien i survived, i am now on penicillin for life. having cml/aml is bad and can be fatal but if found and treated early people survive i am now 18 and medical healthy. if any one wants to ask me a question please write me and i will try to answer.
|