Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Bells Palsy

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
I know this is not a womans condition,but if there are any women or men out there that have experienced this would you please comment or have any advice for me. I woke up the other day and was experiencing my right eye watering and noticed my right side of face/smile was not right.It was slack and I could not close my eye.I spent 3 days in hospital and they treated me as if I had had a stroke and then said it was bells palsy they were very thourough. Ran all kinds of test and ruled out alot. They were very respectful and good to me . Thanks to all of them! My question I suppose would be has anyone been diagnosed with this recently or in the past had reoccurences? Thanks for your time
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper michellealcock
|

User Profile
replied February 25th, 2007
Advanced Support Team
I was diagnosed with Bells Palsy quite a few years ago or so I thought, but turns out doctors misdiagnosed me and it was just a VERY VERY severe sinus infection which ended up hospitalizing me. Believe it or not, but a sinus infection can cause such severe symptoms. The swelling in my sinus cavity put pressure on the nerves in the left side of my face. I wish you luck with this.
|

replied November 28th, 2011
Bells palsy
I was diagnosed about 6 months ago,it came after a very nasty throat infection. i still feel a slight numbness in my face from time to time but recently i could feel it coming back only this time it seems to be worsened by a sinus infection i have. i wonder if ive had the sinus infection all along and was that the cause in the first place
|

replied March 3rd, 2007
Experienced User
I can't say much about it or statistical numbers, but my mom had it about 10 years ago. I don't remember how long it lasted (months at least), but it never returned.
|

replied March 3rd, 2007
Experienced User
Hey! My boss had developed it when she was giving birth to her 2nd child, she only had it for 4 or 5 weeks and it hasnt come back as yet. Lets hope it doesnt!

I hope yours isnt reoccurring as well, goodluck!!
|

replied February 19th, 2009
I've been there
I was diagnosed with Bell's probably three years ago. I had no answers. They said I had a mild case. but to be honest, I still feel the tightness in my left eye and some days more than others. My facial nerve on the side of my neck is tight too and when I open my mouth wide to stretch it out it suddenly tightens up and I get what seems like a cramp in my neck and my eye starts twitching uncontrollably. This lasts about 30 seconds. But People say when they look at me, they can't see it. It's not as bad as it was, but I know I am not the same. Best of luck to you. I constantly search the internet for answers. and I came across your post. If anyone has answers for me please write me.
|

replied July 10th, 2009
About a month ago I found out I had bells palsy. I was scared shitless. Before I found out I noticed my eyes were watering really bad and twitching. The next day I was driving and I noticed my left eye was not blinking and I could smile. My whole left side of my face was paralyzed. Its been about 3 to 4 weeks since I first found out and I got my smile back but my eye still doesn't blink the same. The question I have is the question I have is can it stop a women's period from coming? I was due for my period on June 24 and still haven't started. My husband and I have been ttc for awhile now but everytime I take a pregnancy test they are negative.. Any suggestions?
|

replied June 30th, 2011
Bells palsy
Hello! I also was diagnosed with bells palsy about two weeks ago, I have a question regarding your menstrual period did it ever come? Did you skip a month or so? I am never late with mines but now I am almost 3 weeks late. Could it be because of the steroids I only took them five days & stop taking them because I didn't know if I was pregnant or not, I've taking a home pregnancy test & it was negative. Any answer would help Thank you...
|

replied December 18th, 2009
I was diagnosed with Bell's Palsy in Sep 09.. The right side of my face went dead..instead of my eyes being watery it was dry..Thank God I had a quick recovery though and I was good as new within 3 weeks...It is just at times the right side of my face still feels stiff. In response to Kay21's question I don't Bell's Palsy within itself stop your period from coming but its the medication that they give you. I was given steroids so I think that is why I skipped Oct's period.
|

User Profile
replied February 8th, 2010
Question
I was just diagnosed with Bell's Palsy today. I woke up Saturday morning and the right side of my face was paralyzed, I freaked out. I am 14 weeks pregnant and was told this was only common in women in their 3rd trimester or after they had their baby. Do any of you know women who got BP as early as I have in pregnancy? Also, did it affect your vision at all- my right eye is very blury and it feels like it is getting worse everyday?
|

replied February 5th, 2012
I had Bell's Palsy after I had my last baby, three years ago. It lasted for about 2 weeks. The docs prescribed me Valtrex and I did not take it. As crazy is this may sound, I didn't take it because, at the time that Valtrex commercial was constantly coming on T.V. I told my husband and daughter I wouldn't be caught dead doing those commercials and when the doctor prescribed it to me to cure it, I couldn't believe it ( : D ). I'm on this forum, as well as others, trying to see if it's trying to come back. I've noticed my right eye watering again, like it did the last time. I'm 18 weeks pregnant again and I heard that pregnant women can get it. Like, I said, the first time I'd gotten it, my baby was 3 days old and I thought it was a result of my C-section.
|

replied February 14th, 2010
bell's hell
I have had Bell's Palsy since Dec. 6th and it's sloowwwllly improving. At first my eye was very dry and extremely painful, now it waters all the time. I still can't smile properly or blink on the right side but at least i can now eat on that side and don't bite my lip all the time. It is terrible to have; the waiting is torture but I'm learning patience as there is no other option.
|

replied March 25th, 2010
I was diagnosed with Bells Palsy just a couple of day ago. It is torture. My doctor said that it can be caused by a virus, cold sores or some form of inflammation on the facial nerve that controls the muscles on the right side of my face. I have not really been sick. However, prior to this happening I had a minor sore throat and I was having symmptoms related to my sinuses-such as pressure in my head and sneezing. Someone also told me that they have known people to develop Bells Palsy after having a bad sinus infection. The doctors also behave as if they dont have a lot of answers. Ive seen the ER doctor and the neurologist and neither have had many answers other than it should go away between 3 weeks to 6 months. Oouch!!!
|

replied April 11th, 2010
Bell`s Palsy recovery
I am almost totally recovered after a painful month of exercises,steroids,heaps of vitamin B12 and pomegranate juice including heaps of sleep.This was my wake up call to slow down stop overworking and take care of myself.
Eyes still twitches and lip quivers and my ear is still strange as it started as an ear infection.After going through this I feel I can handle anything as my whole left side was paralysed and I also lost my sense of taste.
I want to know what factor we all have in common,tho cause this..mine they say was stress induced...like should we create a survey to pinpoint more...
eg. I was a heavy coffee drinker......was anyone else a coffee addict?
|

replied July 20th, 2010
Hanako1983
Hey it's me again. It's been maybe 4 years now since I got Bell's Palsy. I still think back to the time it happened. I remember the headache, the pain in the shoulder/neck area and loss of taste. Yes- I was a drinking lots and lots of starbukcs. I was a manager of a salon as well (Stress?) I liked to smoke but not cigarrettes- and I was stung by a scorpion in HS. About 2 months later- A COWORKER OF MINE came down with Bell's too. She also liked a lot of caffeine, smoke and was stung by a scorpion....So- fast forward to today....
I still feel like when I smile, my left eye squints. The eyelid is still kinda lazy and puffy at time though my smile is a little better. When I raise my eyebrow, there is a muscle by my mouth that jumps at the same time. If I open my mouth real wide, I still get a SUPER painful cramp on the left side of my neck and my eye twitches. I really want to know why sometimes that facial nerve still feels huge. Feels like it controls my face and my expressions.
|

replied July 20th, 2010
Hey Hanako1983,
thanks for reply,mine happened start of March,wow the scorpion thing is interesting! I have like a corner left on my face ,hard to describe but when I smile it looks like an underlying vein from the eybrow down cheek,they say it will take yr and half to repair,it is not that obvious though unless I smile...Write if you wish to most welcome cheers
|

replied February 6th, 2011
regarding my Bell's Palsy and the dread TIMELINE
2/6/11 i have had bp since 8/27/10 think it morphed from left>rgt after dec, now both eyes drive me crazy. right side mouth down left back up. tears beyond belief. how could your eyes sink in and be purple and puffy and watery and hurt ALL the time for over 5 months? lots of sinus drain 2. had shingles (i'm 66) 2 years ago. i didn't get to dr in time for steriods and or antiviral either time. don't even try to wear makeup or face cream - and i was the makeup queen. TIRED BEYOND BELIEF. thank heavens one of the 4 drs happened to mention, "oh by the way, you're going to be tired." i even retired because of it. (the tired part) and i NEVER EVEN HAD ONE FEVER BLISTER IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. one thing i learned, that i now know, that i never knew: PATIENCE. last opthomologist said 6 more weeks. lots of luck everyone. i do think it is going away. every time i do anything extra to make me tired. it sets me back a week or two. sheessseeee.......! a young woman in my office also told me she had it 3 years ago and even now when she gets tired the ole eye hangs down AND up and waters. she had actual pain. mine was mostly pain from agrivation
|

replied July 7th, 2011
Hi i have been diagnosed with bells palsy for the second time in ten years. But this time i am very tired all the time,my legs are weak, cant walk fast and my feet drag if i walk to long. I had really bad balance and co-ordination which is now better but still there. I am 42 an i am wondering if i have been midiagnosed as i had loss of memory and trouble saying what i wanted to say or remember what i was going to say too.

Michelle
|

replied July 7th, 2011
Hi i had bells palsy 10 yrs ago i had alot of pain in my head and fac i took 6 mths for my face to look normal. 4 months ago the doc said i had it again, this time my face looked nearly normal in 6 weeks. But this time my legs are weak i am extremely tired all the time, memory loss is getting better. I fell over alot, fell down the stairs 4 times and badly bruised my cocix, ouuch that really hurt. Now i am thinking if maybe i have been misdiagnosed. Has anyone else had these symptoms?

Michelle
|

replied July 15th, 2011
I had bells palsy several years ago and it slowly got better over a few months. It was my understanding though that Bells Palsy only affects the nerves and muscles of the face and neck, not anywhere else. I remember having a problem speaking due to my mouth being half frozen like after going to the dentist. I don't know if the memory loss and dizziness are associated with BP because I didn't have that. If I were you, I would ask your doctor for a second opinion. I did. It doesn't hurt to double check. Good luck!
|
Users who thank sarahmatthews for this post: michellealcock 

replied May 8th, 2012
Experienced User
Hello,

Remember one thing, doctors give names to pain / problems that they do not know how to heal or cure or get to the root of the problem. The majority of time, this means that you have dislocated and pinched nerves in your spin and they need to be reset soonest. I know as I have been a healer for 14+ years. If you live close to me, I would be able to help relieve your pain/problem.
|

replied September 22nd, 2012
Hi,

I was diagnosed with bells palsy just over 2 weeks ago and was obviously extremely upset. I have now regained 80% of my facial movement. The only trace left is a slight tightness in my face and my right eye only blinks half the way. I can close it, no problems. When I was diagnosed I could not move half my mouth, my forehead, had no taste and my eye could not close fully. I was put on steroids and and viral medication within the first few days. I also had acupuncture daily for the first week and time off work to rest. I was extremely tired for 10 days with quite painful headaches and soreness.
Everyone now says they can't see it and I let them try guess which side (some get it wrong). I would like to just express my experience to date, as I was so disheartened by all the stories on the internet of people having bells palsy for months and years without improvement. My doctor kept telling me I 'should' get better, which upset me even more. Whilst I realise so far I have been extremely lucky in my recovery, I just wanted to let whoever reads this there is hope.
Hopefully I will be able to blink my eye soon!
PS. I also found sleeping with an eye mask very helpful during recovery.
|

replied July 21st, 2013
Had bells palsy in 1988 during my second pregnancy, affected the left side of my face, again in 1990 during third pregnancy on the right side of face Did experience lots of pain for the second episode but for the first it was mainly the paralysis and earache, I am now on my third episode this is day 3 .So it can come back, I really never fully recovered from the second episode, some dr's think I suffered a stroke because my face was still droopy after the second episode, this episode is affecting the right again. Valacyclovir and prednisone.I am also a Diabetic
|

replied April 20th, 2014
Bell's Palsy
I also had Bell's Palsy 2 months ago and I'm almost 90% recovered. I tracked my Bell's Palsy progress
|