Medical Questions > Cancer > Skin Cancer Forum

Boil, Or Cyst, Or Cancer, Or Pimple?

Must Read
Millions of Americans are diagnosed with cancer. But what exactly is cancer and how does it affect the body?...
What puts you at risk for developing cancer? Learn how you can avoid or reduce exposure to risk factors for cancer here....
Cancer can occur anywhere in the body. But what are the signs and symptoms of cancer? Learn about general symptoms of cancer here....
I have a growth on my leg that I need help identifying.

At first I thought it was a pimple, because I get pimples on my legs from time to time. It is red, and shaped like a big zit. However, this has gotten bigger than a pimple (or zit) and has lasted for 6 months or so. It gets sore from time to time if I brush it against things, or it is aggrivated in any way, but it is not sensitive to the touch.

It seams to have a yellow discoloration like you would see in a zit, but it is not in the center, more off to one side. I have tested it gently to see if it would pop, but it offered no relief. It is too deep.

Any thoughts? I have tried looking on the web for pictures of cysts, boils and cancers, but couldn't find any.

Thanks for you help
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper eljindi84
|

replied August 22nd, 2003
Experienced User
Doesn't sound anything like a cyst, nor a pimple, nor a boil. Must be something to be concerned about, where you've had it for 6 months. Something malignant is undoubtful. Check that thing out immediately. If you hesitate too long, it may be to your regretted dismay.

Patrick
|

replied November 3rd, 2011
I have had a similar situation. Mine was in a different spot though. Dont let it go. When i went in to look into mine it turned out to be precancerous melonoma. I waited a couple of years not realizing it was an abnormal mole.
|

replied September 16th, 2003
Boil Or Zit
This may be a lesion called a dermatofibroma, these result from a bug bite, shaving knick or some other injury that grows some funny healing tissue, they are usually harmless but can have irregular cells at times, or you may be growing a low grade skin ca. Have it cked by a dermatologist
|

replied September 16th, 2003
Hi, I just wanted to tell you that I get things kind of like that. Mine are boils for sure they can get really big and they hurt me a lot. Yours may be different but when I get a boil its good to bath in hot water with epsen salt, you can put a very hot towel on it. That will cause it to come to a head fater. Usually with things like that you have to wait it out so it can come to a head then it will bust on its own or when you wipe it, it will open and you can push the stuff out. The yellow stuff in it is puse. That's what causes the pain if it hurts, its infection under your skin. I've been to the doctor for two I had b/c if they get too deep then you will have to get the doctor to lance it to get all the infection out so it can heal from the inside out. You may not have a boil but I just wanted to tell about mine maybe it will help. Write back and let me know how it does.
|

replied October 28th, 2003
Lumps? Leg Area?
Shocked
i signed on to try to find out what is wrong with my sister having the same problem. She has many large red lumps on both legs, theighs and they are moving upward. She has been to the doctors 3 times and they still don't know what it is. They've done blood work now two times and the next step is to see an internest. They ruled out blood clots, and so far the blood test check out ok. Tonight the doctor did mention some types of cancer can do this. Please........My advice is to see a doctor right away and have blood work pulled.

Christina
|

replied December 9th, 2007
Please don't listen to anything in these posts except for the one thing that makes sense, "go see your doctor". that's what you pay for insurance for...Don't believe what Patrick says, as much as it could be a major problem, it could also be as simple as a dermoid cyst.

What you have is most likely an infection that got trapped under your skin. Like christina's sistsers bumps, cysts can be mobile, or unattached to the skin, and can be easily moved around.

Until you have time to go to your pcp, hold a hot compress on it every day to relieve the pain and help the infection subside. Your doc will prob give you an antibiotic to help treat the inflammation/infection once he or she confirms what it is.

If you're going to get online advice, do it yourself! Please don't listen to the things people, who aren't md's, post here..

i joined this site just to tell you that becasue I was so appalled at what I saw people claiming.

Just see your dr : )
|

replied March 11th, 2009
i got da same thng
i thnk patrick and katp? are both correct. i hav it also..on my left leg. my mom pops it and says puse(puss?) is comming out and tht it is a pimple. but ive had thm for going on a year. skin cancer runs in my family. so i am going to a doc 2morro..ill give u info on what he says(if i rmbr im only 14)but my aunt got skin cancer at 15 so 14 is scarn me..
|

replied March 12th, 2009
its me (th guy from â?? thr)
i went to da doc.
it was a rare, bur commonly mistaken for pimple, or early skin cancer
but it was a wart
a virus th white stuff tht comes out is actually th infection
thy take about 2 years to go away..or 3

jus lettn ya no
mike
|

replied August 16th, 2010
I been suffering for years with boils inside of my breast. They feel like it is the size of an egg. When they rupture and I mean rupture it has green, yellow, and white stuff that comes out. I feel much better when they rupture. Can they take the core out of something?
|

replied September 1st, 2010
cancer cyst pimple boil? squamous cell!
My Mom had this, 2 spots, one for months - went to the doctor and had it biopsied - squamous cell carcinoma. She is going today to a surgeon to have both areas removed. GO TO A DOCTOR NOW!
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied February 7th, 2011
big red blood like pimple
i have a very big red like pimple and is all red all around it and when u touch it,it really hurts and hard all around it and when it pops by itself only blood comes out and it leaves a mark there that wont dissapper.please help what do i do?
|

replied August 9th, 2011
i have the same thing on my upper right arm/shoulder area. I am trying to rid it as when I wear tanktops it is really noticeable. Do you still have it? Mine is small. I have had it for 3 months or so. It hasn't changed in size, but it does get painful when I agravate it.
|

replied May 14th, 2011
I get these things, and have been to the dermatologist. Luckily so far, they have been benign. My dermatologist told me they are 'ruptured cysts'. They hurt really bad. Start out as a small itchy pimple, and mastisize in size from anywhere to dime size to quarter size. Very painful. I have had four to five on my legs, and last year got a smaller one on the side of my nose hole, that looked horrible. No puss in these things. The substance is that you can see under the skin is hard, and looks like a piece of califlower under the skin. It looks like there is a center (or head) on this that you can pop, but nothing will come out. When you squeese on these, nothing comes out, and the more you squeeze the bigger the thing gets. I have tried every kind of medicine imaginable on these things, and nothing works. The only thing that works is to have it removed and scrapped out. It also leaves an ugly scar.
|

replied November 30th, 2012
i have been getting boil like lumps in my right arm pit only. i get 1 to 4 at a time.the hurt really bad when touched. when it drains it burns and leaves a black dot where it was. after 1 drained it left a good size lump that was really sensitive. im 22 years old and this just started this year about 3 months ago.
|

replied January 2nd, 2013
what looks like a cross between a pimple and aboil
girlfriend has been getting what looks like a cross between a pimple and a boil! she lanced it with a needle and a thick brownish fluid came out. they start to go away then come back. they are located just above waistline and very painful
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Goce Aleksovski
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Madhumita Avinash Paul