Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Smelly Hands

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
For the past 6 months or so I have noticed my hands smell different in the morning. I thought it was my imagination so I asked my husband if he could smell my hands. He thought I was pretty funny, but he did smell my hands and was surprized. He thought I had something on them or had cut an onion up the night before and had that lingering odor.

What the heck is this? I am not exactly worried but I am concerned that this could be a precursor to something else. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper alliedog
|

replied February 3rd, 2007
Smelly Hands
Over the past several years, I have noticed the same symptoms you described. However, I have also noticed that the smell occurs through out the winter for me and tends to disappear in the summer months where humidity is high here. The reason I point this out is that my hands are very dry in winter months and I am constantly fighting the cracked skin with lotion or ointments. I have come to the conclusion (after a class in microbiology) that the smell must be due to bacteria that breakdown the dead and skin give off chemicals in the process. Same process as underarm or foot odor.
Our skin typically has bacteria residing on it, just like you have them in your intestines, and they perform nessecary functions like breakdown of toxins. I think the fact that the skin on my hands is so dry causes a "bloom" of these bacteria because there is so much for them to feast on. I have also noticed that using hand cream before bedtime makes it worse - not sure why that is though.
|

replied February 8th, 2013
Definitely the most sensible and helpful answer I've come across. I've noticed the same symptoms for about a month. It's winter here, I have extremely dry skin, and it seems to be more prevalent on my right hand (which I tend to clench at night). My only question is whether it might not be a fungal "bloom" rather than bacterial. Fungus tends to be the cause of many a skin condition and it is often difficult to get rid of. Since the anti-bacterial soaps I use haven't made a jot of difference, I plan to test out a mild anti-fungal cream and go from there. Thanks again for your insightful answer.
|

replied October 1st, 2009
I get this do. The palms of my hands sometimes smell. I can`t quite describe the smell. I`ve not norrowed it down yet but I think it`s when I eat certain foods.
|

replied December 20th, 2010
Help...My hands stink in the morning!
Help! I'm having the same issue. I can't describe my hand smell in the morning. It's terrible!!! I notice that it's worse on mornings I moisturize my hands at night. How can this be prevented this from happening (besides not moisturizing my hands)? Should I see a doctor? I'm so insecure about it. I feel like everyone can smell them!
|

replied January 10th, 2011
smelly hands or finger
I just realized somehow while reading this that the smell is coming from the ring on my finger. I was making turkey burgers the other night and some ground turkey got trapped in the crevis of my ring. I washed my hands afterward and been scubbing like crazy after I noticed the smell. I'll have to use latex free safe cooking gloves next time. Would have never guessed. Wow
|

replied August 6th, 2011
smelly palms in the morning
my palms have just started to smell. when I wake up they smell like that chemical "fake tan" smell. totally bizaar, don't use it. I thoroughly wash hands before bed.
|

replied October 29th, 2013
Did you ever figure out the reason for the smell. Having the same issue and would describe it in the same way.
|

replied April 26th, 2012
My hands smell very bad. They have been smelling this way for years. I don't know what to do about this problem. Everything i touch smells like my hands. Please help!!!!!!!
|

replied October 25th, 2012
Smelly hands!
I've just begun noticing this after being prescribed aygestin, a hormonal drug. I've also been waking up with a really sour stomach. Not sure if it's the new hormones or something completely different. I know if I ask my doctor, she'll think I've lost it.
|

replied April 5th, 2013
Yes, I don't know if my smelly hands are related to having bacterial vaginosis as well? Mine smell like foot odor. Major PH imbalance going on?
|

replied September 29th, 2014
Everything is Smelly
I have a chronic sinus infection (most likely fungal)and have often wondered if my PH is off. I too have started to notice the smelly hands. but it's like this all the time. I also notice the smell in my nose like my sinuses are becoming inflamed. I have been taking Pre and Probiotics for my intestinal issues and will try a PH suppliment that I've been noticing on the market. seems like one ailment leads to another that are all probably related. Fungal . I've started buying Organic Health Foods. Coconut water and coconut milk. along with a Candida cleansing (diet)helps to Kill off fungal odors . I'm greatly surpised that I'm not the only one with this odor. That it's not just my imagination. Thank you all for being here to find out answers to this embarrasing odor
|
Tags: smelly, smell, skin
Quick Reply