Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Montgomery Glands (Page 1)

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
I want to know if there is any way to get rid of montgomery glands. They are very unattractive and my husband to be doesn't seem interested in touching my breats because of them. I just want them gone
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Kia
|

User Profile
replied November 7th, 2006
Community Volunteer
Umm no.
They are part of you like your skin.

It's like saying you want your pores removed becuase they are not attractive.
|

replied September 2nd, 2008
i got told that if you squeeze them you can get the oil that the glands produce out, however this is not advisory!! i also got told that if you place a warm towel over them for 20 minutes a night if can help reduce the size. however, you will never be able to make them disappear, merely reduce the size of them.

Hope this helps in some way
|

replied July 8th, 2009
Because these are sebaceous (oily) glands like those that cause pimples, you may be able to squeeze out some white ooze. But, like popping a zit, it's painful and likely to cause infection.
|

replied September 26th, 2009
Inflamed Montgomery Glands
This will help you:

Sebaceous hyperplasia occasionally also occurs on the chest, areola, mouth or vulva. They often have a central indentation.

Treatment & Prevention
------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------
The cause is unknown and tends to run in families. While no treatment is necessary, they can be treated by:
Tretinoin cream or gel used daily will reverse the condition slowly overtime and also help keep the condition from worsening.
Accutane will reverse sebaceous hyperplasia, but new lesions will develop after stopping the medication unless you also use tretinoin cream regularly.
TCA chemical peels will also reverse sebaceous hyperplasia, but new lesions will occur slowly after treatment.
They can be destroyed with electrocautery or laser.
Prognosis
------------------------------------------ --------------------------------------
Lesions of sebaceous hyperplasia are benign, with no known potential for malignant transformation.
|

User Profile
replied September 26th, 2009
Supporter
What are Montgomery Glands?
|

replied October 26th, 2009
Montgomery Glands around the areola
I have Montgomery Glands, I just found that out...I been wondering what is was for such a long time until I google it. To me its like pimple on my areola, but my husband love me just the way I am, my breast got larger after my daughter, therefore my breast is filled with lots of fatty Glands (Montgomery Glands), I did try popping it but it's still there. My answer is Don't worry and just eat healthy food and cut down on the grease and hopefully it goes down a bit but it won't go away because our breast is filled with fats and it stays with us forever Smile take care

luvsme
|

replied January 2nd, 2010
Montgomery Glands
I've always had the bumps around my areola but I just decided to find out what they were called. Although I knew other womens' nipples looked different, I was never really concerned about them. And besides, my doctor never said anything during my exams. I guess, due to aging, I've become curious for vanity reasons. They look weird sometimes but they're mine.....and they are not going anywhere!!!
|

replied March 22nd, 2010
Montgomery Glands
okay I have developed "blackheads" in some is that normal or should I be worried.
|

replied March 24th, 2010
Montgomery Glands!
I am 30. I have had these glands on my breast for as long as I can remember, but last week I noticed they were hard, protruding, and itchy...I was uncomfortable because I could actually feel them even without an erect nipple. I was worried that something was wrong. A couple of days ago they went back to normal. This has never happened before! Does anyone have an explanation?
|

replied April 26th, 2010
can they be removed by laser the bumps themselves or are they here to stay? Where can you go for treatment?
|

replied May 21st, 2010
Glands - treatment advice
According to my physician she claimed that they were normal Montgomery glands, possibly clogged, and in my case I had an abnormal number of them (I wasnt pregnant), which apparently is still normal. After 10 years of trying various natural treatments to de-clog the area with no permanent results, I decided to treat them with minor 45 minute surgical intervention with a cosmetic surgeon. He managed to reduce the size with minimal scarring (however this may not work for everyone). I have noticed that after 8 months they are growing back slightly, so they still function to cleanse the skin, however appear more normal in size. Overall they do look a lot better.

The physiological enlargement of our montgomery glands may be caused by hormonal sensitivity (eg during pregnancy and lactation) or possibly imbalances (eg estrogens /testosterone). I wonder if the synthetic hormones found in many moisturizers/cosmetics are contributing to the enlargement of Montgomery glands??

The positive side of these glands is that they provide a protective oil that helps regulate the ph of the areola, moisturise the skin and minimize infections (esp during breastfeeding). The downside, it's hard to be with a partner that makes us feel unattractive if we naturally have them.
|

replied August 2nd, 2010
i just found out i had them and the sad thing is i'm only 14 years old i really hope they go away i guess i'll start eatin better and try to excrise more i have my whole life ahead of me and i really don't wanna live wit these Sad
|

replied August 22nd, 2010
Ladies, I really wouldn't worry about this too much. Yes they are not the most attractive of things, however, seeming as so many of us have commented on this, surely this is more common than we think. I discussed this with my partner, he see's it as natural and struggled to think of a past partner without them. Be proud of your breasts girls. Men will love them just the same - and if not, are they really worth being with?

And stargurl123 - you are still developing, I really wouldn't panic about this. Everybody is different. I am proud of my bubbly boobies Smile
|

This post is being reviewed to be sure that it adheres to our Community Guidelines.
Thanks for your patience!

replied August 25th, 2010
It saddens me to see how many women are unhappy with the natural beauty of their breasts. Everyone has Montgomery Glands. They are there so that if you decide to breast feed, they keep the nipple soft and clean for the baby.
|

replied September 29th, 2010
grateful
i am so glad to have found that i'm not the only person with this. i've had it as long as i can remember and because i was too embarrassed to talk about it with anyone i felt like a weirdo. after i married my husband i would try to hide my breasts for fear he would ask me what they were and i constantly picked at them to make them go away (to no avail). reading what ya'll have said, i feel much better about it, especially knowing that it will benefit my child in the future. thank you guys
|

replied October 18th, 2010
These never bothered me. In fact I was just told that my Montgomery glands are sexy and I had to look it up because I had never thought they were a problem or thought there was even a name for them. I love my breasts and my nipples just the way they are. And noone I've ever been with has had a problem with them. They secrete an oily that keeps your areola soft and silky. What could be more sexy than that. Woman need to stop trying to live up to this false standard of beauty. The more you embrace and love yourself the sexier and more attractive you will be. Now if they are clogged or infected I can see that being an issue. Otherwise love yourselves sisters, just the way you are.
|

replied December 30th, 2010
MOntgomery tubercles
I have never noticed them being so pronounced before! Suddenly this morning they are there!
|

replied January 6th, 2011
What is so bad about them?
I am a male and was really surprised to come across this page. I'm surprised to see that so many women are bothered by this. I never even knew this was an issue because I've never found it to be unattractive myself. In fact, it can be stimulating to see aureoles with this 'feature'. If men are turned off by it then maybe they need to come back to the real world and stop letting phothoshopped playboy pictures skew their perception of reality.
|
Users who thank milklover for this post: missdipsy 

replied January 19th, 2011
Well said "Milklover"! Montgomery glands are completely normal, we all have them, although some people have more obvious ones than others. I used to be self conscious about mine until I realised that they are a normal part of the breast.

PLEASE remember that most of the breasts you see in pictures (in magazines etc) are photoshopped, they are not "natural" even if the model has not had surgery. So features like blemishes, hairs & montgomery glands are airbrushed out. It is so sad that we all grow up with such distorted ideas about what breasts are "supposed" to look like.
|
12 >>
Tags: glands
Quick Reply