Medical Questions > Womens Health > Fertility Forum

Can Anyone Help Me?

Must Read
If you're experiencing difficult conceiving, you are not alone. Learn how doctors define infertility and how infertility affects both men and women here....
Many things cause fertility problems. Learn common causes of infertility for men and women here, plus info on factors that affect the ability to conceive....
Sometimes fertility do not manifest any symptoms. Other times there are definite signs. Learn to identify possible problems and know when to ask for help....
I am happy to have found this site. I may not be under the correct heading and if not I apologize. I will also try and make this as short as possible but not exclude any important information (i'm not sure of the abreveations and slang, sorry .

I am 36. In '91 I had a child. Normal preg. And norm. Delivery. In '93 I had ovarian cysts and had my right ovary removed. After that I tried to conceive but with no success. Did the clomid thing, etc. And gave up after my divorce. In june 2005 I knew before I tested I was pregnant (not sure how but I knew). I actually did 9 hpt's and even went to a local clinic and had them test me before going to my gyno. He laughed at me when I told him how many times I had tested. I was in denial I guess. Or maybe it was pure shock? Unfortunatley, it was an ectopic. The fetus was actually half way in the tube and half way in the ovary. I ended up having to have emergency surgery after the methotrexate did not work (on my bday to beat all). My gyno informed me that he had to remove the left tube because it was so badly scarred. So now I have a right tube and a left ovary. I thought "how in the world can I get pregnant again with them being on opposite sides?" but he assured me I could still conceive. After that I gave up for a while. Put no thought or effort into it. But started thinking heavily on trying again a cpl. Months ago. My last cycle started on oct. 20th and lasted until oct. 26th. Had intercourse on the 27th (late day) and on the 29th. I didn't notice the cervical mucus until the 1st though (honestly didn't know to look for it until I read it on here somewhere as one of the signs of predicting ovulation). My opk's never showed a lh surge and I tested 2-3 times a day, everyday. However, I noticed some other changes that I exp. Every month mid cycle. On the 1st I noticed my moods changed and my appetite increased which is usually the only way I know that I am mid cycle because I generally start within 10-12 days of the mood swings. I have read many diff. Versions of how long sprem can live inside the body, but can it survive for 3-5 days without the mucus being present? What would the odds be of me actually having conceived? Slim to none i'm guessing? I know if I was it would be to soon to tell. I know I most likely didn't but I am a dreamer and I pray daily for this.

Went into to see my gyno last week because my periods had been so messed up. He did an endometrial biopsy. They called me today and told me I had polyps (how can they tell this just from the biopsy?) and that I was still ovulating, just not correctly (is this what they call anovulatory?) he prescribed provera 10 and I am to start them tomm. I go back to see him on thurs. The nurse told me I would take the provera for 10 days and then I would start bleeding and that I would bleed heavily for up to 14 days. Well, isn't that something to look forward to? Crying or Very sad she said in order to rid the uterus of all the lining I was not shedding each month I would have to do this and if I didn't I would never be able to conceive.

My questions are these...

1) how can they diagnose the polyps just by the biopsy? Will they require surgery?

2) has anyone else ever taking the provera for this reason? If yes, what was the bleeding like? She said it would be heavy but will it be like a regular period with the cramping, etc? Or will it be more "just bleeding"?

3) if you have been in this situation and taken the provera did it help you conceive when it was all over said and done?

4) based on the info about my cycles and the changes in moods, just to set my mind at ease (even though in my heart I know I didn't conceive) should I ask for a preg. Test just to be certain before I start the provera?

I apologize for the length and hope I didn't forget anything important. Any input will be appreciated. I know I can ask him all these questions on thursday but i'll be worried to death until then.

Thanks in advance!!!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 7th, 2006
Community Volunteer
Re: Can Anyone Help Me?
kimberlee36 wrote:
i thought "how in the world can I get pregnant again with them being on opposite sides?" but he assured me I could still conceive.
optimistic doctor I guess. You were right to think as you did. While it maybe possible for you to conceive it is unlikely as the egg when released from the ovary would have to make the trip over to the other tube.
Now some people have conceive after having their tubes tied and even removed completely. So it is possible but is not likely.
I wonder if there was a misunderstanding at the discussion you had.
You see as you have your ovary and uterus you can have a child of your own - you just need a little intervention to get the egg from ovary to uterus (usually in the form of ivf).

Quote:
i have read many diff. Versions of how long sprem can live inside the body, but can it survive for 3-5 days without the mucus being present?
yes it can, the mucus helps but sperm can live for upto (not saying they all do) 5 days inside the female body. You always have some mucus - it is the uterus and vagina self cleaning mechanism - at varying times in your cycle the mucus will change in acidity.

Quote:
what would the odds be of me actually having conceived? Slim to none i'm guessing?
'fraid so -very slim, but not impossible (the big difference between impossible and improbable.

Quote:
i know if I was it would be to soon to tell.
first respeonse can be used to test for pregnancy 4 days before your period is due.

Quote:
he did an endometrial biopsy. They called me today and told me I had polyps (how can they tell this just from the biopsy?)
from the type of tissue they removed.

Quote:
and that I was still ovulating, just not correctly (is this what they call anovulatory?)
no. Annovulatory is "no ovulation" not irregular ovulation.

Quote:
i would have to do this and if I didn't I would never be able to conceive.
get a new doctor, first off your uterus lining isn't the big factor in your ability to conceive - your ability to get an egg from one ovary to the opposite tube is your biggest problem and needs to be overcome first.
It is highly improbable that you are going to conceive without medical intervention to get the eggs from the ovary to the uterus.

Quote:
1) how can they diagnose the polyps just by the biopsy? Will they require surgery?
from the type of tissue and cells the remove they can diagnose a lot of things.
Surgury will depend on many factors including if the polyps give you any trouble and the size of them.

Quote:
2) has anyone else ever taking the provera for this reason? If yes, what was the bleeding like? She said it would be heavy but will it be like a regular period with the cramping, etc? Or will it be more "just bleeding"?
i've never taken it so I can't answer this one.

Quote:
3) if you have been in this situation and taken the provera did it help you conceive when it was all over said and done?
again sorry no answer.

Quote:
4) based on the info about my cycles and the changes in moods, just to set my mind at ease (even though in my heart I know I didn't conceive) should I ask for a preg. Test just to be certain before I start the provera?
any woman, no matter how improbable, who has a functioning ovary and a uterus should have a pregnancy test done before any hormone treatment just as a precaution.

As a side note - your curent doctor is aware that the remaining ovary is on the opposite side to the remaining tube isn't s/he? Do are they assuming that you have a tube and ovary on the same side?
When they informed you that they removed the left tube due to scarring are you sure it was the whole tube and not just part of it?

Any of this does not replace professional medical care, it is my own opinions on your questions.
|
Did you find this post helpful?