Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Lupus Forum

Does allergy medication affect serology blood tests for Lupu

Must Read
What causes allergies? We review risk factors and common allergens in this intro to allergies section....
What causes an allergy? Who is more likely to develop allergies? More here....
Which allergy symptoms are serious signs of allergic reaction and which are merely bothersome? Common types of allergy symptoms and allergic reactions here....
User Profile
Does any one know if allergy medication such as Claritin or
Claritin D affect the Lupus blood test results? Could it cause
the Anti-DNA antibody test to be negative?

I have a positve ANA, Anticardiolipin, and Phos. Serine AB Igm.
In addition, these symptoms/conditions:
Raynaud's phenomenon, Fibromyalgia, photosensitivity, hair loss,
pain in the chest on deep breathing , skin rashes-itching, extreme
fatigue, achy swollen joints, arthralgias, myaligias, the rash over
my cheeks(and on the middle of my forehead, right above
and between brows), migrains, and more.. During "flare-ups",
my eyesight becomes blurry. Going on for years now.

The doctor suggested I might have Lupus, but is puzzled at the
anti-DNA antibody test being negative. Any comments or advice?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2006
Lupus Answer A1821
Diagnosis of systemic lupus erithematosus (SLE) is considered possible if at least 4 of these 11 criteria for SLE are present (according to the American Rheumatologic Association):
1. Malar rash (facial rash that looks like a butterfly);
2. Discoid lupus (disc-like rush with hyperkeratosis and atrophy on the skin);
3. Photosensitivity;
4. Painless ulcerations of the oral and nasal mucosa;
5. Arthritis on 2 or more peripheral joints;
6. Pleurisy or pericarditis;
7. Signs for renal failure (proteins in the urine, erythrocytes and cellular casts in the urinary sediment);
8. Neurological manifestations (psychoses and /or convulsions);
9. Hematological disturbances (anemia, leukopenia, lymphopenia, thrombocytopenia);
10. Immunological reports (anti-DNA-antibodies, anti-Sm-antibodies, positive lupus band test of the skin, LE-cells, false positive result for syphilis(anti-cardiolipin-antibodies) ), and
11. High titer of anti nuclear antibodies (ANA)
The medicine Claritin doesn’t affect the serology blood results for SLE. Anti-DNA-antibodies are very specific for SLE but it is possible that the antibodies haven't been created yet. You can consult a rheumatologist and request some of the additional tests mentioned above to confirm or exclude SLE.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Lupus , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.