Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Purple blisters on Labia

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
User Profile
I'm a healthy and fit 19yr old female. A few years ago i noticed a some dark purple kind of blisters on my labia. They are completely painless and cause me no discomfort during sexual intercourse or everyday life. I know that they are not sexually transmitted, as i developed them prior to becoming sexual. They have progressed to about 8 small bumps on either side and they have never ruptured or bled but often change from light to dark in colour. I was wondering if you had any idea as to what they may be? I was thinking maybe I have angiokeratoma? and if so, what the disease entails, as well as any treatment. I wouldn't be worried about them except for the fact that they are quite ugly and embarrassing.

I hope you have an answer for me...thanks

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2006
General Q&A Answer A1815
Skin changes (including those on the labia) must be seen to establish a correct diagnosis. Inspection (visual) is the basic diagnostic method in dermatology. Sometimes even inspection is not enough for establishing a correct diagnosis. Your description (“dark purple blisters” or “small bumps”) is not enough to suppose any diagnosis. Generally, those bumps could be considered "benign skin tumors" but their real nature can be find only after detailed examination by a dermatologist, or a specialist in derma-venereal conditions.
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our General Q and A , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.