Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Teen Pregnancy Forum

Smoking Around Baby (Page 1)

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
I thought this was an excellent article....Very imformative

ask Dr. Sears: second-hand smoke dangers
by Dr. William sears

q I live in an apartment, and am a non-smoker. However, with the constant cigarette smoke odor coming through my air vents, one may think I smoke as strong as the odor is. It's so strong that I can't help but wonder if it is contributing to my infant's respiratory problems and ear infections. Is it possible for the air coming through my vents to be so polluted by the smoke that it is making him sick?

A the combination of you smelling the smoke and your infant's respiratory infections and ear infections certainly implicate cigarette smoke as the culprit. First, report this to the owner of the apartment building. Let the owner know that something is drastically wrong with the air-circulation system. Perhaps even send him a copy of this answer. Open your windows to allow fresh air into your apartment as much as possible, in addition to spending a lot of time outside, weather permitting. Here's an analogy that I use in my practice to both inform, and admittedly scare, parents from smoking. Suppose you were about to take your baby into a room when you notice a sign that read: "warning! This room contains poisonous gases and around 4,000 chemicals, some of which have been linked to cancer, lung damage, and are especially harmful to the breathing passages of young infants." certainly, you wouldn't take your baby into this room. Yet, this is exactly the risk that occurs when babies are exposed to second-hand smoke. Here's how second-hand smoke can be hazardous to your baby's health:

exposure to smoke hurts little lungs. Lining the breathing passages going to the lungs are millions of tiny filaments, called cilia, which wave back and forth to clear the normal secretions from the airways. Smoke paralyzes these cilia so that a baby is unable to clear these secretions. This leads to plugs of mucus blocking the airways, resulting in infections anywhere along the airways, including ear and sinus infections. Also, cigarette smoke is highly-allergenic, causing stuffy and blocked nasal passages that further compromise breathing. Studies show that children who are around cigarette smoke have two to three times more doctor visits because of respiratory infections.

Exposure to smoke injures little brains. Nicotine constricts blood vessels, which can lower blood supply to the developing brain. Cigarette smoke lowers the oxygen level of the blood, which can interfere with the development of the brain center that controls breathing.

Exposure to smoke hurts little hearts. Studies have shown that levels of hdl, known as the "good cholesterol" that may protect from heart disease, are lower in children who are exposed to second-hand smoke.

Exposure to smoke interferes with natural mothering. A health hazard of smoking that few people know about is how exposure to cigarette smoke interferes with natural mothering hormones, especially those that are involved in the production of breastmilk and mother's intuition. Studies have shown that mothers who smoke have a lower level of prolactin, the hormone that regulates milk production and is thought to be part of the biological basis of that extra sensitivity and awareness that mothers have toward their babies.

Exposure to smoke can increase the risk of sids. Many studies show that exposure to cigarette smoke can greatly increase the risk of sids. The reason is thought to be that the chemicals in cigarette smoke lead to an overall delay in the development of all the organs and systems, especially the center of the brain that controls automatic breathing.

The above harmful effects of cigarette smoke should be enough to prompt the apartment owners to immediately fix the ventilation problem. If possible, I suggest moving to cleaner-air living as soon as possible, for your own health as well as the health of your baby.

Parenting.Com, february 2005

Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 4th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Yeh its not good. My place smells of cigarette smoke at times just from people smoking in the hallway outside my front door. They are allowed to do it, so there's nothing I can do. Confused
|

Extremely eHealthy
My apartment was smelling a bit like smoke, and we knew exactly who it was (cause there are only 6 suites in the whole building). It's the old lady directly under us, and we could smell it through the vents. But my dad made a huge stink about it and the landlord came and fixed the vents, and talked to the lady because no ones allowed to smoke in this building.

The worst thing is seeing people standing outside the wal-mart with their baby in one arm and a cigarette in their other hand. I get so mad.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
If this turns intot he same old argument that just died down it's getting locked.

If you want it keep unlocked...

be nice
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
What about smoking something other than cigaretts around a baby?

How do you feel about that, ladies?
|

Extremely eHealthy
tanyaface wrote:

the worst thing is seeing people standing outside the wal-mart with their baby in one arm and a cigarette in their other hand. I get so mad.

exactly! Or one that really bothers me is seeing a baby/child in a car with someone smoking, and a lot of times they don't even crack the window to let at least some of the smoke out. Personally, I can't stand to see people smoke around their children. The kids don't know any better, and it's not fair to them, because by the time they realize that the stinky stuff coming from mommy's hand is bad for them, a lot of damage is already done. Depressing. Sad
|

Extremely eHealthy
hcobrunette06 wrote:
what about smoking something other than cigaretts around a baby?

i think smoking pot around a baby is just as bad. It's not that hard to open a door and walk outside.

Mandi, I can barely breath when someone smokes in a car with me in it, I can't imagine how it must be on little lungs.

Unlike making excuses for smoking while pregnant, people can't even pretend to have justifications for smoking around their babies once they've had them. What, are you trying to toughen them up? Pfff.
|

Extremely eHealthy
tanyaface wrote:

mandy, I can barely breath when someone smokes in a car with me in it, I can't imagine how it must be on little lungs.

exactly. My parents smoked for 35 years (my dad quit on and off in that time, so maybe a bit less for him) but when they found out I was pregnant they went to their doctor and talked about quitting, and now it's been a year and 2 months since either of them have had a cigarette. They both quit cold turkey. I can't even describe how much better it feels to go visit now. Now their house smells like fresh clean laundry instead of smoke. And nobody is allowed to smoke inside the house now. As for any other kind of smoke.....It's still smoke, and don't agree with smoking anything near a child.
|

Extremely eHealthy
hcobrunette06 wrote:
what about smoking something other than cigaretts around a baby?

bad aswell! Again you can smell canabis in here at times, and especially in the lift/elevator which I need to use being 6 floors up, it stinks of the stuff quite often. Lol dont get me started on my neighbours... They have no respect for anyone...Ugh some people just dont care.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I quit smoking a very very long time ago, and I smoke weed but it isn't in the same house or anywhere near brayden.

I think anyone who smokes with the child in their house is careless and needs to go outside because its not that hard to walk a few steps.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
dalicialovesyou wrote:
i quit smoking a very very long time ago, and I smoke weed but it isn't in the same house or anywhere near brayden.

I think anyone who smokes with the child in their house is careless and needs to go outside because its not that hard to walk a few steps.

actually, here is an article that shows, even if you smoke outside, you are still harming your baby. Most people think if they go outside, they are "protecting" the baby. Not true. Here you go:

question: how can I protect my baby when there's a smoker in the house?

answer: secondhand smoke can be extremely dangerous for babies. Among other things, it weakens their lungs, makes them more prone to ear infections, and doubles the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (sids). At the very minimum, you should make sure nobody smokes anywhere in your house, no exceptions.

Cigarettes are incredibly effective devices for spreading harmful chemicals, including nicotine and carbon monoxide, all over your house.

If you light up in one room, the smoke will be detectable in the entire house within minutes, and that includes the baby's room. The chemicals and particles that make secondhand smoke so dangerous will immediately stick to just about everything in the house, including carpets, walls, furniture, and even stainless steel. Over the next few weeks and months, these contaminants will be slowly released back into the air — the same air that your baby breathes.

my colleagues and I recently searched for traces of secondhand smoke in homes where smokers tried to "protect" infants by never lighting up in the same room as the baby. The levels of nicotine and other chemicals throughout the house were about five to seven times higher than what we saw in houses of nonsmokers. More important, urine tests showed that the babies in these families had been exposed to eight times as much secondhand smoke.

In fact, we found elevated levels of toxins in homes where smokers only lit up outside.
smokers spread contaminants wherever they go — they seep out of their clothes, skin, hair, and breath. For this reason, smokers should wear clean clothes (that they haven't worn while smoking) around the baby, wash their hands and face often (especially after smoking), and not let the baby suck on their fingers.

If your house has already been contaminated with cigarette smoke, try clearing the air by opening some windows and doors. A hepa air filter might help for a while, but you'll have to change the filters often because they'll quickly get clogged. Vacuuming your house with a hepa filter-equipped vacuum is a good idea, too. Wipe surfaces with a damp cloth, and wash your baby's toys and blankets, and any other object she may stick in her mouth.

Shielding a baby from smoke is a hassle. If you're concerned about your baby's health, encourage the smokers in your house to quit for good. It's the best protection your baby can get.

|

replied November 5th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Okay, I smoke weed outside and this goes for ciggs too. How the f*ck can the smoke get in the house when your .O.U.T.S.I.D.E. That doesnt make any sense, no windows are open in my home, so it doesnt get to him and usually its so windy outside anyways sometimes i'll just go in my car. I dont believe it can still affect the baby doing it outside, otherwise other people would be harming everyones kids because a lot of people smoke outside here. If that is true, which I dont believe it is. Then its no ones fault but the air. And no one can prevent that from happening unless everyones quits smoking and thats never gonna happen.
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
dalicialovesyou wrote:
okay, I smoke weed outside and this goes for ciggs too. How the f*ck can the smoke get in the house when your .O.U.T.S.I.D.E. That doesnt make any sense, no windows are open in my home, so it doesnt get to him and usually its so windy outside anyways sometimes i'll just go in my car. I dont believe it can still affect the baby doing it outside, otherwise other people would be harming everyones kids because a lot of people smoke outside here. If that is true, which I dont believe it is. Then its no ones fault but the air. And no one can prevent that from happening unless everyones quits smoking and thats never gonna happen.

did you read the article? Of course its true. Its medical fact, and he explained why. Smokers bring chemicals in on their hands, clothes, mouths, hair, etc. Then the chemicals cling onto your furniture etc. This later releases toxins into the house.
|

Extremely eHealthy
nataliachick7 wrote:
dalicialovesyou wrote:
okay, I smoke weed outside and this goes for ciggs too. How the f*ck can the smoke get in the house when your .O.U.T.S.I.D.E. That doesnt make any sense, no windows are open in my home, so it doesnt get to him and usually its so windy outside anyways sometimes i'll just go in my car. I dont believe it can still affect the baby doing it outside, otherwise other people would be harming everyones kids because a lot of people smoke outside here. If that is true, which I dont believe it is. Then its no ones fault but the air. And no one can prevent that from happening unless everyones quits smoking and thats never gonna happen.

did you read the article? Of course its true. Its medical fact, and he explained why. Smokers bring chemicals in on their hands, clothes, mouths, hair, etc. Then the chemicals cling onto your furniture etc. This later releases toxins into the house.

welp, I guess bray has been a little tipsy with my marijuana smoking then.

Although I do wash my hands afterwards.

Whoopsie.
|

Extremely eHealthy
nataliachick7 wrote:

yeh that makes sense, its crossed my mind before, because if u smoke you stink after having one! Although as you're used to that smell, you might not notice it. Your breath releases the smell of it, so the toxins are in that, it's on your clothes since you were standing in the smoke, and definately gets in your hair because that's real close to your mouth where you breathe the smoke back out. Makes total sense, you bring it back into the house where your baby is. Its a smaller amount than if u were smoking inside there, but any amount is still harmful to the baby.

Not to mention other stuff (cig) smoking does to your own health, giving you more chance of getting lung disease, cancer etc, which will also negatively affect your child if their mom gets sick, or dies younger as a result.
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Once u have kids you should stop being slefish and put your child first. That means quitting smoking any sort of substance

my hubby was a social smoker before layla was born but as soon as he found out I was pregnant he got help to quit as he knows that smoke stays on your person after u have smoked for ages! I used to know when he's smoked cause he stunk of it and this was even when he'd smoked a few hours before.

I understand that these things make u feel good but u have to put your child first. Find something else to make u feel good!
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
It really annoys me when I see people smoking around their children, too. When I see a pregnant woman smoking I feel like marching up to her and giving her a mouthful but I bite my tongue. It's total selfishness and I don't care how they try to excuse it. They might want to give themselves a slow, painful death but why should their innocent children have to suffer?

As for smoking pot - I just hope that those who do it do not drive their children around because that is an accident waiting to happen.

Selfishness.
|

Extremely eHealthy
Yeh it is selfish! Some people on here keep making excuses for it because they continue smoking one or the other, or both. Smoking pot long term can make u have mental health problems aswell. Certain people need to wake up, stop being in denial and quit saying its 'ok' blah blah.

(from bbc news site)

misconception

surveys carried out earlier this year showed that 79% of children believed that cannabis was 'safe'.

Only 2% understood correctly that there are health risks associated with smoking the drug.

The british lung foundation report also shows that the health dangers of cannabis have substantially increased since the 1960s.

That means that clinical studies carried out in the sixties and seventies may well underestimate the ill effects of smoking the drug.

This is due to increased amounts of thc - or delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol, the major active chemical compound - in the cannabis consumed today.

Smoking pure cannabis is more harmful to lungs than tobacco, a health charity is warning.

A study by the british lung foundation found that just three cannabis joints a day cause the same damage as 20 cigarettes.

And when cannabis and tobacco are smoked together, the effects are dramatically worse.

Evidence shows that tar from cannabis cigarettes contains 50% more cancer causing carcinogens than tobacco.

Dr mark britton, chairman of the british lung foundation, said: "these statistics will come as a surprise to many people, especially those who choose to smoke cannabis rather than tobacco in the belief it is safer for them."

dr britton emphasised that the british lung foundation report - called a smoking gun? - was "not about the moral rights and wrongs of cannabis".

But, he said, they simply wanted to make sure people were completely clear about the respiratory health risks involved.

Smoking cannabis virtually doubles the risk of developing mental illnesses such as schizophrenia.

The study suggested this was probably due to chemical changes in the brain which resulted from smoking the drug.

The study, published in the journal addiction, followed over 1,000 people born in 1977 for 25 years.

Uk mental health campaigners said it was more evidence of a "drug-induced mental health crisis".

The researchers, from the university of otago, interviewed people taking part in the christchurch health and development study about their cannabis use at the ages of 18, 21 and 25.

They were also interviewed about various aspects of their mental health.

The researchers also took into account factors such as family history, current mental disorders, and illicit substance abuse.

The scientists found psychotic symptoms were more common among cannabis users.

The scientists, led by professor david fergusson, said it was likely cannabis use increased the chances of a person suffering psychosis by causing chemical changes to the brain.

Writing in addiction, he added: "even when all factors were taken into account, there was a clear increase in rates of psychotic symptoms after the start of regular use."

"we urge the government to reconsider its decision on classification, backing that with a multi-million pound education and awareness campaign on the dangers of cannabis."
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Chris smokes when he isn't around me- he's trying to quit, but he sound he really doesn't want to quit, so he isn't trying that hard &it isn't working. I've been telling him for ages it doesn't matter if he does it around me or not, he better quit for good once the baby gets here because that !**@! still stays with you when you come home. He didn't believe me. He was sitting here last night when .I was reading this topic, he was like "oh so that's all true?" &.I was like "umm yes... That's what .I've been telling you.." lol, *shakes head* .Men... I think he's going to make an actual attemp to stop now, thank god. I hate when he smokes. It's so vile.
|

Extremely eHealthy
I smoke weed and drive all the time, anyone who has ever smoked pot would know that it doesn't affect you that way. Or me anyway...Some weed is different so that could be the cause but the stuff I smoke. No way would it make me wreck or drive funky.

I would quit if I knew it was affecting brayden, but me smoking outside I think is alright and will continue to do it. It's not about being selfish because him getting it from my hair or clothes, even if he does it wouldnt be much, especially from the wind we have already been having this winter.

Haha i'm sure he'll be okay, i'd like to hear sarah's opinion on this, since she's a weed smoker aswell.
|