Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Elevated White Blood Cell Count

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
I had my blood drawn on 10/18 by my ob's office prior to my amnio. When the results came in they said that my white blood cell count was high -13.5 (normal is 4.8 to 10.Cool, which can be normal in some preggo women, but better safe than sorry they had me go back on 10/26. Those tests showed that it had gone up to 15.6. My ob says she is concerned because the count keeps going up. I don't feel sick at all.
She sent me to my pcp to do a full physical. After spending 2 hours there having everything tested. They found nothing, but of course they repeated the blood work again. Mad

the amnio came back with no problems. Smile

has anyone out there had anything similar happen, or know anyone who has?

Thanks for your help!
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper BuzzwumpSN
|
Users who thank Mommy35 for this post: buggy123 

replied November 4th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
That usually means you have an infection. Your body's trying to fight something off. I was dehydrated at the beginning of my pregnancy b/c of a virus. That caused my white blood cells to be higher than normal. Did you ask them what that meant?
|

replied November 4th, 2006
Extremely eHealthy
Thank you very much for your reply!!!

I know that an elevated white blood cell count means infection, but what baffles me and the doc is that they can't find the virus, as I feel fine. The pcp checked my ears, nose, throat, lungs, urine, etc and found nothing. I had a pap done on 10-4-06 which came back fine and I have no symptoms down there to indicate any type of infection.

I guess I could try to drink more water, but I drink so much now I wonder if i'm going to float away some days.
|

User Profile
replied June 20th, 2009
i too have a high count my is 19.8 i am not pregnant and i have no infections however i have swelling, night sweats and joint severe pain i am scared i have cancer or leukemia what do i do next i live in a small town and all these doctors are stupid
|

replied August 13th, 2009
I just went in for my check up yesterday and they did a complete blood count on me. My white blood count was 29,000!!!!!! I feel fine, but have had cramps in legs at might, headaches, blurred vision and sweats that happen every once in awhile. DR's don't know what it is and don't really seem to care.. Been researching it and I have found alot about blood disorders and how they raise you white blood count. I am in the same boat and don't know what to do.....
SRM
|

replied November 17th, 2009
Message for Mommy35
Mommy35 -

My wife has the exact same problem and we are in the hospital for last 3 days. I would like to discuss this with someone who have had similar issues before. If you are kind enough to help discuss only this relevant part of your medical history, that would be GREAT. If possible can you please write me.
|

replied November 17th, 2009
Re: Elevated White Blood Cell Count
Mommy35 wrote:
I had my blood drawn on 10/18 by my ob's office prior to my amnio. When the results came in they said that my white blood cell count was high -13.5 (normal is 4.8 to 10.Cool, which can be normal in some preggo women, but better safe than sorry they had me go back on 10/26. Those tests showed that it had gone up to 15.6. My ob says she is concerned because the count keeps going up. I don't feel sick at all.
She sent me to my pcp to do a full physical. After spending 2 hours there having everything tested. They found nothing, but of course they repeated the blood work again. Mad

the amnio came back with no problems. Smile

has anyone out there had anything similar happen, or know anyone who has?

Thanks for your help!

Mommy35 -

My wife has the exact same problem and we are in the hospital for last 3 days. I would like to discuss this with someone who have had similar issues before. If you are kind enough to help discuss only this relevant part of your medical history, that would be GREAT. If possible can you please write me.
|

replied December 7th, 2009
All well now
I had elevated WBC during my pregnancy (4 years ago) which was noticed around the 28th week. My OBGYN was really concerned because the repeat test came back even higher. I went to a hematologist every other week and gave tubes of blood for lots of tests and all came back negative but the WBC kept getting higher. A week before my delivery it was around 20. The hematologist suggested a bone morrow biopsy after I gave birth which was a nerve wracking implication for a first time mom-to-be. Two weeks after the birth of my daughter my WBC started decreasing and a month later it was back to normal. I am glad that it all resolved by itself and I know that I am not going to see a hematologist next time I am pregnant.
|

replied February 21st, 2012
The high WBC count is a normal reaction caused by inflammation, pain, and stress from the pregnancy. It is normal for an increase of 14,000-16,000/mm3. WBCs can get up to 30,000 during labor. It usually goes back down to normal within 6 days of birth.

Murray, S. S. & McKinney, E. S. (2010). Foundations of maternal-newborn and women's health nursing. (5th ed, p. 349). Maryland Heights, MO: Saunders Elsevier.
|

replied June 20th, 2013
I havent had a menstraul in 2 months im 41yrs old. Pregnancy test came out negative. I was told i have an urinary tract. But the only test that was taken wss urine. Should i seek another opinion.
|