Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Getting Pregnant Forum

Ovulation With Irregular Periods

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Here's a question for you knowledgable ladies!!!!
If I have an irregular period (approx.45-53 days apart), which cycle day would ovulation occur? I think I can figure it out, but just want your input. Unfortunately, not even sure if I am ovulating at all, which would explain the irregularity of my af. One doctor told me that if and when I do experience an af, it may be a "false period". Anyone ever heard of this, and what does it mean?
Thanks for the input!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 4th, 2006
Experienced User
It is generally 14 days before your af is due. So if your cycle is 45 days, you o should occur around cd 31. Since you cycles are irregular you may benefit from bbt. You will be able to tell from your charts whether or not you ovulated. I have gained a lot of knowledge and understanding just from charting.
|

replied November 4th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
Thanks for the info!!! I have been charting my basal temp for 7 months now, however, it is also very irregular. My average temp is a little low, but I can have about 3-5 "dips" in my temp in the 45-50+ days between my cycles! Makes it hard to read when I am ovulating, etc......... I try to go off my body at times, but again, the doctor is not sure if I am ovulating at all right now.
I was going to buy some opk tests, but at $40 for 5 tests, I would be spending a ridiculous amount of money each month. I will however buy them once I get some results back from the doc, or start to regulate a bit better!
Thanks again for your help!
|

replied November 5th, 2006
Experienced User
Opks in the stores can be very expensive but if you order them of of the internet you can get some very inexpensive ones. I just ordered 50 tests from saveontests.Com for $18.99 plus like $2.00 shipping. You may want to check it out. Are you charting with an online site? If you are, put it a link to your chart so we can have a look.
|

replied November 5th, 2006
Haven't charted with on-line sites yet....May think if doing it soon.
Actually, finally got my af yesterday evening.........I was on cycle day 52, so this time around it was 51 days apart. Previous af's were 45, 50 & now 51 days apart.
I think this time, I will ttc from cd 31-39....This will cover me from a 45-51 day average. Although, just in case, I will also start from cd12 and just go from there! Maybe this time, a little egg will decide to drop!!!!! Lol !!!
I will check out the on-line shops for opk tests, although I know it can be very difficult to get them to canada.......They have pretty strict regulations about that stuff!!! Thanks for the info though.....I always appreciate someone else's thoughts!!!
|

User Profile
replied November 6th, 2006
Experienced User
My cycles were always irregular and my doctor said the same thing, that I might not be ovulating. I just had sex every other day until I thought I was ovulating and would have sex for three consecutive days then went back to the every other day thing until af arrived. It worked for me....Twice! I got confusing results charting and using opk's when I was ttc my son so this time around I just made sure I had sex a lot whether I thought I was ovulating or not just to cover all the possible "o" dates.
|

replied November 6th, 2006
Lol!!! I think that's what i'm going to have to do!!! Although my hubby may have something to say about it!! (poor boy can't keep up with me some months! He-he-he!)
just went in today for an ultrasound (had to have an internal as well!) to check for pcos and anything else that may be interferring. I should have the test results back by the end of this week or beginning of next. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!
Sooooo, in the meantime, cd12 i'll start ttc and just go from there and wait!!! (that's the hardest part, especially since I won't be able to do a test until dec.26th or so.....Whew what a long wait!)
|