Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Irregular Heartbeat

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
I am a 20 year old bulimic and have been so for about 6 years. I jut recently started having irregular heartbeats. It feel like my heart is in my throat and then when I take my pulse I can feel my heart skip beats. I am seeing a therapist and a psychologist but no real medical doctor. I don't know what to do. I am freaked out but then I had blood tests like a month ago and they were good. Any advice would be appreciated
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 3rd, 2006
That used to happen to me too. Make sure to drink gatorade after you purge- your electrolytes are probably out of whack.
|

replied November 9th, 2006
Hiya!
Its def your potassium/electrolite balance. When you purge (either vomit, or laxatives) you purge your body of the electrolites and potassium, and your heart needs those to function. Drinking gatoraid will only do so much...Its a really dangerous game purging, heart attacks and choking are scarily common.
I'm also 20, and been suffering since I was 13/14 from an eating disorder...And i'm finally making good steps from recovering, so if you ever want to talk or whatever...Pm me

<3 luisa xx
|

User Profile
replied November 10th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
This is happening too.
Last night, I felt asleep early and my mom called me a little later to give some tasks for today. I noticed that my heart started beating faster, but I had not been sleeping that tight that I could have got scared when my mom called be! :s what can I improve?
|

replied November 12th, 2006
v00d00cita wrote:
this is happening too.

Last night, I felt asleep early and my mom called me a little later to give some tasks for today. I noticed that my heart started beating faster, but I had not been sleeping that tight that I could have got scared when my mom called be! :s what can I improve?

well having salts and electrolites will help, ultimatly not purging at all would be optimal, but knowing the nature of the disease that will be a slower process. Keep strong honey bee

luisa xx
|

User Profile
replied November 13th, 2006
Electrolites?
Some friends of mine scared me some days ago, when they realised I was having sympthoms of a brain accident..
I vomited last friday, but I don't intend to repeat it. I'm not proud... I want to feel good...
|

Irr Heartbead
First of all u need to take care of being bulimic. I think then your heartrate would return to normal. Forcing yourself to purge is not a good thing. You must realize what it can do to u besides keep u thin. Wake up and smell the coffee...Before its to late
|

Re: Irr Heartbead
pinkone63 wrote:
first of all u need to take care of being bulimic. I think then your heartrate would return to normal. Forcing yourself to purge is not a good thing. You must realize what it can do to u besides keep u thin. Wake up and smell the coffee...Before its to late

that would be nice if someone could just wake up and "take care of being bulimic" but i'm afraid, its not that simple. Eating disorders arn't a choice, they're a mental condition, a disease. And as much as people know what they are doing to them selves, it doesn't over ride the "need" to do it. You need help, support, treatment etc to try and recover. I mean, you wouldn't say to someone who has epilepcy to try and not have it in a day or so.
|

User Profile
replied November 15th, 2006
pinkone63 wrote:
first of all u need to take care of being bulimic. I think then your heartrate would return to normal. Forcing yourself to purge is not a good thing.

i'm sorry for telling you this, but you're giving no news at all for us. How much do you know about eds, may I ask? What you said is understandable, ok, but it's not that doable, do you know that? You can't just throw your brain away and buy a new one so that you would start thinking differently and doing things differently. Furthermore, many of us may not me bulimic and still have an ed, one of the eating disorders nos (not otherwise specified), which are as complicated as bulimia or anorexia.
|

Crying or Very sad hello out there..
I have been binging and purging since march of this year, most recently it's been everday at least 3 times a day also. I don't feel healthy and have been seeing a therapist and scheduled to see a phyciatrist as well. And with all this said and done, I cannot get the thoughts and feelings of binging and purging out of my head - it has taken over me and is uncontrollable . Please, if any of you have an answer on how to stop and what the long term effects are please tell me. I dont know how to stop the cycle of this horrible desease.
|

User Profile
Hi, saara.
You really must stop binging and purging, I guess that is the first thing to change... :\ it's not easy, I know it for myself, but at least try. And them work your thoughts...
|

replied November 16th, 2006
Any Advice?
Thank you - v00d00cita.
Are you still binging and purging?
If not - what was it that made you stop - how did you do it?
|

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2006
I didn't do it for a long time, months. I just commited myself no to doing it and it was all.
I had some setbacks these last weeks, but i'm stopping again. Just think like this: eating certain things or overeating makes you feel bad (you feel bad one time). Vomiting makes you feel bad again (makes you feel bad two times). Why feeling bad two times? Embarassed
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2006
Experienced User
I am also bulemic and have experienced that, I went to the doctor and I have to go see a heart doctor to see if I have a heart murmor, but my heart also hurts from time to time and I dont want to tell my parents to freak them out, good luck and I hope you get better Smile
|

replied February 23rd, 2010
irregular heartbeat
i have been diagnosed with AF because i suffer from an irregular heartbeat yet altough not diagnosed i know i have bulimia,i have been binge eating and throwing up for eight years,i feel terrible for not telling my doctor about this but im just so ashamed,i have 3 children and want help so bad but so scared to tell everyone Sad
|

replied August 31st, 2011
AF & Bulimia
I am assuming you are refering to A-Fib. If so, I hope it was properly explained to you and that you are on an antithrombolytic such as Coumadin. When you have AFib your blood can pool inside the atriua of your heart cause the blood to form blood clots. If you then have a nice strong regular heartbeat at some point it will pickup those clots and send them into circulation. These clots can then become lodged in the smaller vessels thus causing a stroke or pulmonary embolism, both of which can be fatal and/or have long term lasting effects. This is the reason that taking an antithrombolytic is so important, that way your blood does not clot if it pools in the atria. You do have other concerns that come with these drukgs such as extended bleeding time. So if you ever have a major injury you must have a lot of continuous pressure to stop the bleeding and be rushed to an ER. Best of luck with all of your struggles. Remember bulimia can be overcome, but it is a long hard, bumpy road that you MUST take to get back to the smoother road of recovery. Any setbacks you may face are simply bumps on that road, do not let those cause you to lose hope and stop you from moving forward!
|

replied August 15th, 2013
You know what? Get it treated as fast as you can this is very serious.... Death is one of the future side effects to those people Asking. If you don't get this treated now you can have heart attacks, organ failure and decaying teeth. I know this even though I don't have bulimia but my sister does. I'm very worried for her. I want all of you to know that there jds to be a way top get rid of it with enough strong will. It's just like smoking, gambling, and alcoholism... Good luck to all of you
|