Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

Surprise Visit to L&d

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
Well, I spent half my day and night in the l&d. I went to work and I work for the salvation army. Well we are having christmas assistance applications for the next two days and the hospital here in town is having a free health screening in our gym to anyone who signs up for assistance. Well, I am an employee, so I got to get tested too. They checked my blood sugar, cholesterol, and blood pressure. Everything was normal except for my blood pressure. It was 157/111 !!! Shocked Shocked Shocked so the nurse who was taking the reading just looked at me and said "i'm going to take it again on the other arm." so he did, and it was 149/116! Shocked Shocked Shocked he said to me "you need to call your doctor immediately!" so I called and talked to my nurse, and I told her what my bp was and she said "you need to be seen right away. Be here in 20 minutes." so I left work and went to my doctor's office and I was seen by the other doctor (mine was delivering a baby). She checked my blood pressure three times but the only one she told me was 171/122.!!! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad so she needed a urine sample and said that I have a tiny bit of protein in my urine, not alot, but more than normal. So she sent me to l&d for a 24 hour monitoring. Well, I get there and my bp is still really high and the doc ordered an iv (not sure why). And she said "if we can't get your bp down tonight, you're going to be induced next week." well, I was there from 3:00 until just a little while ago. They drew blood, and everything seemed normal, but my bp only got lower when I was sleeping or when I was laying down... My baby is ok. Her hb was steady over 150 the whole time. So, my doctor said I could go home. But I am not allowed to go to work the rest of the week, and I am only allowed clear liquids until tomorrow at 3:00. I have to do a 24 hour urine test, so when I pee, I have to pee in to a "potty hat" and dump it into this containerand refrigerate it. And then tom, I have to take it to the lab at my hospital. My doctor said if the protein levels in my urine increase over the next 24 hours, and if on thursday when I go to the doctor, if my bp is anywhere above 120/80, they are inducing me. Shocked i'm scared.... Isn't thursday kind of long to wait if my bp this high? Or am I ok b/c my baby's hb is normal? What a day.... Just thought i'd share Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 2nd, 2006
Especially eHealthy
I just wanted to say good luck! I've had high blood pressure and been on bedrest for the last 4 weeks or so. Mine hasn't ever been as high as yours though. At least if they induce next week you'll be 37 weeks (right?) which is full term. Hang in there!
|

replied November 2nd, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
Thanks so much for your reply here and on my other post Smile I am just in shock... My bp has been under 120/ 80 the enitre pregnancy and all of a sudden it spiked. Yes, i'll be 37 weeks, so I guess that makes it better.
|