Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

What Works Best For You? Ultram Or Vicodin?

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
User Profile
My pain doctor just put me on ultram 50mg 60/month, ultram er 100mg 60/month, and vicodin 5/500mg 120/month.

He says don't take them at the same time, but take them as needed separately. I don't know which ones to take and when. Sometimes the vicodin works better, sometimes it makes me sleepier, and sometimes makes my neck hurt worse which is weird. Sometimes the ultram works better, sometimes it does nothing. I am trying to get back to work after quiting because of my pain. I want to take the best medicine so I don't get sleepy/nautious or feel any pain at work.

I suffer from chronic neck and back pain. I was wanted to get some feedback from other people who have taken both and get an idea what one has had less side effects for them and has taken the pain away better for them. I am currently taking the ultram er twice a day as directed by my doctor and if the pain gets too bad i'll plan on taking a vicodin.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied July 6th, 2010
Vicodin compared to Tramadol
Vicodin is generally considered more potent than Tramadol, however a few people claim more relief with Tramadol.I've tried both, vicodin 7.5 mg and acetaminophen 375mg.(vicodin always comes with some amount of acet., why I don't know.) 100 mg. of Tramadol feels like about 1 tab of the 7.5 vicodin plus acetaminophen.I emphasise ABOUT.I don't find either very potent. I'm having a hip replaced in 10 days and getting around hasn't been easy using either.After the op. has me scared, because the damned surgeon doesn't believe in narcotics!! Wish it was him on the table! My primary doc has been doing the prescribing so far.Wish he was on the table next to the surgeon! Both are clueless and just covering their asses! I've never taken pain meds before, except motrin, which is starting to damage my kidneys, so what else is there? I stopped all nsaids like Motrin. I suppose if I asked for Percocet or something stronger, I'd be a "junky".This is a pretty sad medical system we have !!
|

replied July 6th, 2010
I would have to say vicodin. Ultram put me to sleep for about 12hrs and I never went back to it.
|