Medical Questions > Parenting > Infants Forum

When babies start to hold their heads ?

Must Read
A definition of the medical practice of infant male circumcision....
Is circumcision required for male babies? Why are boys circumcised? A quick review of the medical benefits of circumcision here. ...
What happens during a routine circumcision for a male child? Read more about this common procedure....
User Profile
It might sound silly... But when do babies normally start being able to hold up their own head?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Becky
|

User Profile
replied October 31st, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Head control

babies are born with very little ability to control their head and neck muscles. They develop this crucial skill, which is the foundation for all later movement such as sitting up and walking, in increments during the first six months of life.

When it develops

most babies develop neck muscles strong enough to hold their head up by the age of six months.

How it develops

newborns
your baby's neck muscles are fairly weak at birth, so she'll rely on you to support her head and neck for at least the first month or so. Perhaps it's nature's way of ensuring you lots of face-to-face interaction. As you cradle her in your arms, enjoy the chance to gaze into her eyes -- it'll help you bond and make her feel loved.

One to two months
by the end of her first month, she should be able to lift her head briefly and turn it from side to side when lying on her stomach. At around six to eight weeks, if she's especially strong, she'll raise her head while lying on her back. When you carry her on your shoulder, she'll have enough control to hold her head up shakily, but not for long. She'll also be strong enough to hold up her head in a car seat, infant carrier, or babysling, but she's still too wobbly for an off the road buggy or a backpack. Wait to use these until she can hold her head up steadily without any support from you. Right now, you can probably put her in her bouncy seat and she will watch the world go by.

Three to four months
you'll notice a definite improvement in head control by this time. She's able to raise her head 45 degrees while lying on her stomach and keep it up steadily. For a fun game that also develops her neck muscles, place your baby on her back and slowly pull her up by her hands to a sitting position. Slowly ease her back down, and repeat. At this age she should be able to hold her head in line with the rest of her body as it's pulled up. Your child may be ready for an off-the-road buggy at four months, but stick to the pavement for now.

Five to six months
by six months, she'll be able to hold her head steady and erect, and she'll flex it forward when she's pulled into a sitting position.
|

User Profile
Supporter
Thanks beck.. That helps alot.. Smile
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
Always here to help!
Wink
|

replied March 2nd, 2011
Is it strange for a 3 week old to be able to hold his head up for 30+ seconds? While holding his head up he can also turn his head from side to side. Is this abnormal?
|

replied October 16th, 2011
you mean holding head high lying on stomach? most babies wont be able to do that(because normal milestone is 4 months approx. for good neck control.Even turning head one side to other will take approx 1.2/4- 2mnths )& you talking about weeks,wont say its abnormal.may b your baby attaining milestones fast & doing it for few secs. but make sure there is a neck support, always & make the baby lye on back.
|

replied February 24th, 2012
question about a 2 month & 3 1/2 week old.
my daughter held her own head up in the hospital a day after she was born while laying on her stomach.. she is almost 3 months old and while laying flat on her back she she grabs ahold of my thumbs and pulls herself up all the way to a sitting position. when i try to burp her she stands up(i dont let her do it for very long because at this age it isnt good for her) when im putting her in her car seat she lifts her head all the way up, when laying on her stomach she attempts to scoot herself foward and can hold her head up for at least 2 min. and look around.....for not even a 3 month old is this advanced?
|

replied July 30th, 2012
My son was doing the same thing he started walking at eight months I thought he was a fast learning baby, but my family kept telling me he was moving out the way for another baby. I thought to myself this is so fake that doesn't happen. I had my son on Jan 14, 2010 and by November of 2010 I was pregnant with my second child. I had her on July 14, 2011 once I had her she was only about two months and she was very advanced she was lifting her head up than I thought to myself oh no I no this isn't happening again. Next thing I know my husband and I found out we were pregnant with our third child which I recently just had her on June 25, 2012 so I would just keep protected if you don't want anymore babies.
|
Quick Reply