Medical Questions > Womens Health > Sexual Health - Women Forum

Genital Warts in the Vagina?

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
User Profile
Hi. I just found out I have genital warts and am somewhat shaken. After extensive research I have managed to learn plenty but there is just one thing I can't seem to have answered. Can genital warts grow inside the vagina? Meaning to a point that they cant be spotted because they are inside the vaginal opening? This is greatly troubling me because the warts I have are rigth around the opening. I had them burned off with acid just yesterday and can now see the warts because they turn white due of the treatment. I noticed the white trailing inside and was worried i have some inside too! And if I do, how do they burn those off? I mean given that they're not visible how would the doctor know they're there and how would they get in there to cure them? Thank you very much

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied November 29th, 2006
Sexual Health - Women Answer A1762
Genital warts are due to an infection of the Human Papiloma Virus (HPV). There are many serotypes of HPV; all of them attack the squamous epithelium of the skin and some mucosa. Mucosa of the vulva, vagina and cervix, for example, contain squamous epithelium and can be infected by HPV. This means that genital warts can grow inside the vagina. HPV is thought to cause cervical dysplasia, which is a precancerous lesion. That’s why genital warts should be detected and treated in good time. Distinguishing the type of the HPV is also necessary. A gynecologist can examine warts inside the vagina or on cervix by vaginal examination using a gynecological speculum. For a more precise examination of the possible precancerous lesions, a gynecologist can use an optical device called a colposcope.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Sexual Health - Women , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.