Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Could One Swollen Tonsil Be Nothing? (Page 1)

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
I'm sorry for cross-posting in ent and cancer forums, but i'm not really sure where this should go...

Three weeks ago exactly I woke up with one enlarged tonsil, on the left side. Upon further examination I discovered that the swollen tonsil was covered in little white spots. My first thought was that it must be the beginnings of strep throat (which i've never had), but it seemed odd to me because I didn't feel any pain. I scheduled a doctor's appointment that very day. After examining me, the doctor confirmed there were little white spots on both tonsils, and mildly swollen lymph nodes my neck. He told me it must be either a strange case of strep (because I felt no pain), or a strange case of mono (because I wasn't feeling exhausted or otherwise ill). He gave me a blood test and a prescription for a 10-day course of antibiotics (penicillin). He called me the next day and told me that the blood test had confirmed it was neither mono nor strep, but to keep taking the antibiotics and schedule a follow-up if they didn't help.

After my ten days of penicillin, there was no real change except for the fact that the little white bumps are gone. The tonsil is still swollen and painless. I'm not very self-aware when it comes to my body, and can't tell whether or not my lymph nodes are at all swollen at this point since I don't know precisely where they are. I scheduled a follow up appointment, which is happening in a couple of days.

I've done a lot of internet research over the last few weeks, and quite unfortunately there don't seem to be many things that cause one swollen, painless tonsil. It's pretty much tonsilitis, tonsil stones, hiv/aids or lymphoma, according the every online resource that exists about the problem. It's not tonsilitis because it's caused by strep bacteria, which the blood test confirmed is not my issue. I ruled out tonsil stones because the white spots weren't hard or large or smelly, and eventually they went away. I'm not promiscuous or an iv drug user, so i'm praying it's not hiv - however, I can't rule it out - I have had unprotected sex twice - once in a monogamous relationship, following sti/hiv testing for both me and my partner, and once about a year ago with a trusted friend who's sexual history included at that point only two monogamous relationships and the occasional tryst with me. (i am going to be responsible and ask for an hiv test at my follow-up appointment.) that pretty much leaves lymphoma, which is a really unfortunate option - but it seems silly to think this could be cancer when I feel more or less fine otherwise.

I'm a 24 year old female non-smoker. I'm overweight and don't have the best diet or exercise habits, but other than allergies and asthma, i'm generally healthy. Other than the tonsil, the only change in my health lately is the fact that my allergies (dust, pollen, etc.) have been really bad, to the point where i'm not sure my allergy meds are working very well anymore.

If anyone is still with me after all of that...Has anyone experienced something like this? If so, what did it turn out to be? Could some random virus just happen to affect just one tonsil and not the other, and otherwise be asymptomatic? Or is there a chance that it's really nothing at all, and my tonsil is just being stupid? I just need a little reassurance so that my hypochodriacal tendencies don't get the best of me and send me into a tailspin as I wait for this next doctor's appointment.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied November 13th, 2007
I Have the Same Thing Now...
I HAVE THE SAME THING NOW...AND I FEEL WORRIED ABOUT IT.. MY DOCTOR GAVE ME CO-AMOXICLAV 500MG/125MG FOR 5 DAYS BUT UNTIL NOW THE PAINLESS WHITE SPOTS ARE STILL HERE ON MY TONSILS.. Question
|

replied November 13th, 2007
Re: I Have the Same Thing Now...
herbertesteban wrote:
I HAVE THE SAME THING NOW...AND I FEEL WORRIED ABOUT IT.. MY DOCTOR GAVE ME CO-AMOXICLAV 500MG/125MG FOR 5 DAYS BUT UNTIL NOW THE PAINLESS WHITE SPOTS ARE STILL HERE ON MY TONSILS.. Question

My weird spots and swollen tonsil stuck around for a while, and then they went away on their own. It turned out to be some mystery illness - maybe a virus or something, but ultimately it went away after a couple of months. My doc gave me blood tests and throat cultures and various things, and nothing was wrong. So I wouldn't worry about it!
|

replied March 23rd, 2011
tonsils
I have had a similar thing now been going on for about 1 week. my left tonsil was really swollen and painful to swallow last saturday but then eased considerably but now today it feels a bit tender again. Did you have the same? I think its my left side tonsil/node...

thanks
|

replied March 23rd, 2011
I have had a similar thing now been going on for about 1 week. my left tonsil was really swollen and painful to swallow last saturday but then eased considerably but now today it feels a bit tender again. Did you have the same? I think its my left side tonsil/node...

thanks
|

replied December 25th, 2007
White Spots Resolved
hi! i am back just to add new things bout my previous post. I underwent C&S(Culture and Sensitivity) and ruled out moderate growth of streptococcus. I didn't take any medicine after that Co-amoxiclav tablet and it just went away. I know this microorganism has something to do about the body's resistance because I notice that when i am under stress, it tends to come back. so the baseline is, we should learn how to take care of our body. drink a lot of water, sleep at least 8 hours a night, take food supplement. right now i am taking alive meganutritionals from nature's way, utah.

i would like to impart on you that our body really doesn't need antibiotics to kill bad microorganism. our body cells have the capacity to heal itself. we just need to maintain the healthy DNA within our cells by taking anti oxidants.
|

replied April 26th, 2009
Or
look up systemic candidiasis. Are there other life symptoms? Have you taken a lot of antibiotics?
|

replied July 19th, 2009
My left tonsil is swollen..
My left tonsil swelled up in the last two days. I don't see any white spots from what I can tell. But my neck is swollen with a nice sized lump. It really only hurts when I swallow and twist my neck around to turn to the left. And maybe a little bit when I speak. I'm 20 years old and a bit scared. I have a serious boyfriend and he is the only one I've been active with for several months and really the only one that I've had unpretected sex with. I was just recently tested for HIV at the end of May. That was negative. Thankfully. I've never really had strep throat so I'm not so sure as to what those symptoms are. And as well as tonsilitis. I just find it strange that its only one tonsil. I do smoke, occassionally. But I haven't been smoking for very long. I'm hoping that isn't the cause of this. I'm just super worried. Will some one ease my worry?
|

replied July 24th, 2009
If you figure out what it is please let me know...my story is just the same as yours..
|

replied December 6th, 2009
swollen right tonsil
hi, i'm twenty yrs old and a non-smoker, non-drinker. i lead a fairly active lifestyle and am not overweight. i have a similar problem.. a couple of months ago my right tonsil swelled up. it didn't really hurt, but the doctor said it had a little "puss". it eventually went away. now it's back.. however, i am fairly allergic to cats and just recently got 2 in my tiny apartment (stupid, i know). i am experiencing allergy symptoms (runny/stuffy nose, wheezing, etc) that i never had before with any cats. the doctor said my swollen tonsil could be my body's response to my allergies, as when your immune system is fighting something a swollen tonsil is apparently a side-effect. however, i have done a little research on the internet and it is apparently not a likely response to allergies.. i have been in a monogomous relationship for 2.5 years, gotten a strep test and have given blood about a year ago. also, my other lymphnods are apparently not really swollen.. i'm hoping it will just go away like last time and that it's due to stress or whatnot, but i'm a little scared. i will never get rid of my cats, but i can't live with a perminantly swollen tonsil..
|

replied January 5th, 2010
hi, im 25 and have been noticing my right tonsil has been swollen for years in the winter i catch really bad sore throats at least once but the pain goes away with acv tea but the size of the right tonsil stays the same i was even on penicilin so im goin to get chkd out this week it really is painless but makes me sound as if i have somethng in my throat
|

replied January 26th, 2010
Swollen tonsil one side
Ok people this is important for all of you!!! I had this same exact thing, but my tonsil was so large on the right side that it did in time become painful simply from swallowing. What this may be for you (which it was for me) is what is called a Peritonsillar abscess. Look it up, you can visit an ENT and bring up the possibility that it may be a peritonsillar abscess. If it is, it may be drained and you will feel instant relief. My problem is, if anyone knows, after mine was drained, my tonsil is large again. Not nearly as large as before, and not increasing in size, it's just staying moderately large. No pain either
|

replied February 15th, 2010
Swollen Tonsil with White Spots
I woke up 1/20/10 with a sore neck, I coludnt turn to the left, the right shoulder in a lot of pain when I move it & a flu like headache. I had a dentist appointment. The hygenist noticed my gum swollen on the left side. My dentist was unsure so he put me on antibiotics. I did not have pain in my tooth so I was not going to take unnecessry meds. Instead I headed to my Chriopractor for my real pains. He touched my neck and said its not my spine. I have a very bad infection I will need antibiotics. I was shocked & went to fill my prescription. In 3 days most of my pain was gone. The dentist took xray & found that a tooth which had a root canal(so no pain) broke below the gum line when I chewed it would shift causing an abcess to form inside the gums hence the infection. I am scheduled to have the removal & implant 2/22/10 but the neck pain & headache returned week &1/2 ago & a popcorn like irritation on my right tonsil for 3 weeks(red) after eating but no pain. Last week it was swollen , on friday I noticed a white spot on it. I started antibiotics & researching the tonsil spots find'g out the tonsil is covered by lymph nodes that swell when fight'g infections, but no answer for the white spots. Hope this helps. Will update.
|

replied September 15th, 2010
I am having the same thing as well. My right tonsil is swollen with small white and red spot. Today I noticed the left is now getting some spots. I have no throat pain - just an annoying feeling because of the swelling. My neck is tender to touch where my tonsil is. I have had a constant low grade headache for a week which tylenol doesn't really fix. Here and there I will get achey so I have been good about taking a daily vitamin. I think my body is just fighting a cold.
|

replied December 4th, 2010
pinless tonsil with anemia
i have swollen tonsil without pain. ultra sonogram of my neck found a swollen lymph node below the tonsil.blood test telling i have anemia.i m dying of tension. my ENT is not telling anything clearly. i have finished two antibiotic course, but no change in tonsil. i have allergy.please help me if any one can
|

replied July 24th, 2011
I had the same as Rach did and then had lots worries went to eye,nose doc he said nothing bad to worry about but this didnt stop me to worry , eventually i went and did hiv test to calm down myself or see whether i werei nfected or not .....hiv test came out negative ( but thats doesnt mean that you not infected just because i had it negative) but my mom was sure that i just caught angina because i drank too icy water though by doing this test and stupid worries what i had made me to you to re think about myself and now I care lots about myself . So tonsillities can be symptom and also can be a wrong symptom i just suggest you to do just hiv test ( IN 3 months after exposure , or if you want to do it earlier in a month then i suggest you to redo it atleast 2-3 times in a month break to be sure that you are not infected and a test result to be true)
|

replied March 19th, 2012
Swollen tonsils
Hi i have had the same exact problems. ive had swollen tonsils for 2 years without pain. been to the doctor way to many times but everything comes back negative. im 20 years old and i started smoking when i was 18 as well as drinking. they gave me all sorts of anti-biotics to reduce the swelling but it never did anything. eventually i started to break out really bad which is weird cause nobody in my family suffers from acne. i would break out for about 3 months then it would go away completely on its own. ive had at least for breakouts since my tonsils have been swollen so im starting to think it has something to do with that. i also took anti-biotics for acne but it only made it worse. not until about a month ago i started feeling like i was getting a UTI and i had un-protected sex with a girl about 2 weeks before so it started to worry me. went to the doctor and everything came back negative i also got an hiv test cause i was super worried and stressed. but even after the doctors visit i still wasnt feeling 100%. i started to get eye floaters, loss of hair, headaches/ constipation and even jock itch. so im wondering if ive had something for a while but if its just getting worse. doctors have done blood test on me and my body seems to be running fine. but i noticed all this started happening to me after being super stressed about having hiv are something. But every time a google my symptoms Candida keeps on coming up. and it says that yeast infections dont happen over night so. im wondering if my swollen tonsils are the roots cause to this hole problem including my stress
|

replied March 19th, 2012
Hi i have had the same exact problems. ive had swollen tonsils for 2 years without pain. been to the doctor way to many times but everything comes back negative. im 20 years old and i started smoking when i was 18 as well as drinking. they gave me all sorts of anti-biotics to reduce the swelling but it never did anything. eventually i started to break out really bad which is weird cause nobody in my family suffers from acne. i would break out for about 3 months then it would go away completely on its own. ive had at least for breakouts since my tonsils have been swollen so im starting to think it has something to do with that. i also took anti-biotics for acne but it only made it worse. not until about a month ago i started feeling like i was getting a UTI and i had un-protected sex with a girl about 2 weeks before so it started to worry me. went to the doctor and everything came back negative i also got an hiv test cause i was super worried and stressed. but even after the doctors visit i still wasnt feeling 100%. i started to get eye floaters, loss of hair, headaches/ constipation and even jock itch. so im wondering if ive had something for a while but if its just getting worse. doctors have done blood test on me and my body seems to be running fine. but i noticed all this started happening to me after being super stressed about having hiv are something. But every time a google my symptoms Candida keeps on coming up. and it says that yeast infections dont happen over night so. im wondering if my swollen tonsils are the roots cause to this hole problem including my stress
|

replied April 8th, 2012
i NEED ANSWERS.
Im 15, && I've read most of the responses. I woke up this morning and I noticed my throat was getting a little sore. I drank lots of water, even gargled hot water to ease the pain. It stopped but an hour or so later my left tonsil started irritating me. You know when spit wells up in your mouth and you have to swallow, I did, && it hurt. Pain increased over a couple more hours. My left tonsil is swollen. My mom checked && it had some white spots on it. We plan to go to the doctors office tomorrow. I just hope its nothing serious. Im really trying hard not to freak myself out!! Does it go away? Should i get my tonsils removed? HELP!
|

replied April 10th, 2012
Experienced User
hi googleucer

your tonsil infected maybe bacterial or viral,
yes it will go away.remind it is very common condition,
|

replied May 4th, 2012
Hi,
I had a unprotected sex at 11 Jan,2012. From end of MAY i am suffering from sore throat with tonsil stone. There is no symptoms like fever, fatigue and diarrhea. Is it HIV positive sign?
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2012
Extremely eHealthy
ACE_me,

If you do the HIV antibody test at or after the three month point, and that is negative, then you are truly HIV negative. If you continue to experience symptoms after that, then you should test for HTLV and other infections.

Best wishes.
|
12 >>