Medical Questions > General Forum Topics > General Q and A Forum

Hit Head Hard.. Left Side of Scalp Numb

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I am in judo, I fell on my head pretty hard in class.. My head went numb on the left side, as did my tongue. The numbness subsided in about 20min, and it hurt alot for most of the day. I didn't black out, feel sick or anything like that.. It was yesterday when it happened (31 hours ago)... My left side of my scalp (left temple to the back of my skull) is numb still. And it still kinda hurts when I turn my head all the way to the right. I went to the university health center, and they told me that I was fine and that if I end up feeling sick for no reason or start losing vision, to go to get a ct scan.. So that helped me little... Any ideas on what is wrong with my head? My face isn't numb, I have full movement of everything still, it feels like the feeling when u leave the dentist after getting novocaine and it wears off slightly.... Any help would be appreciated....
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper roach3287
|

replied July 22nd, 2008
what happened
I had a hit to my forehead and am experiencing the same numbness. How long did it take for your nembness to resolve itself.
|

replied July 22nd, 2008
i forgot i even posted this..

well, i eventually found out a few weeks later that what i did was bruise a nerve in my head, it didnt damage it enough to cause permanent damage.
how did it happen? my numbness completely went away in 3 weeks.

please describe as close as possible how it feels, and how you hit it and where on your head you hit it.

i'll be glad to help as much as i can
|

replied March 30th, 2009
got punched left cheek
got a black eye aviously but what worries me is that my nose, left top teeth, and cheek are numb. when I press on my cheek it shoots a numbing pain to my top left lip.

what do you think?
|

replied November 15th, 2009
I have the excact same problem ciscokid. Did yours clear up or what have you done about it?
|

replied October 7th, 2010
Head Numbness, back of head
I fell and hit the left side of my head and have had numbness in back of my head now for a year. This was a worker's comp. case and the doctors never told me what it was. All I can do is guess that it could be from a nerve? If anyone can figure this out, please reply. Thank you.
|

replied January 19th, 2012
Numbness in the forehead!
I have a similar problem. My 2 year old daughter was walking on the couch and tripped over herself and hit my head pretty hard. My eyes crossed and I felt sick to my stomach. But after 30 minutes or so the pain went away and all I had left was a big bump on my eyebrow. It wasn't until 2 days after this happened that I woke up and half my forehead was numb. It isn't like a tingly numb its like a I can't feel half my forehead numb. I just assumed that when the swelling fully subsided it revealed a pinched nerve. This is day 5 of it being numb, so I promised my fiance that if the feeling didn't come back by monday, (this is thursday) I would go to the dr and see whats going on.
|

replied February 18th, 2012
I hit my forehead on my right side the other day and now my scalp on the same side is numb. I realized it was numb like 6 hours later. Its been almost 3 days now. It is kind of freaking me out. When will the numbness go away? It starts at the front my hair line and goes all the way to the back of my head.
|

replied February 26th, 2012
Numbness on Right-side of Skull & Face
Usually, when you know of the incidence, you can track the original cause of the numbness. That odd sensation may subside on its own. However, it is good to get medical attention, and "Listen to the Voice of Pain and/or Numbness."

Sometimes it can be caused by Shingles, or be a Migraine, an infection, or a Tumor somewhere under the skull that's finally "talking." These need to be ruled out.

The ER will do a CT- CatScan and run blood work. With the above ruled out, your only other option is to consult with a neurologist, as a cervical nerve is most likely involved, causing the numbness. Example: the trigeminal nerve C4, causes facial numbness.

Hope this helps some of you with the "novocaine-like" numb feeling. I, too, have had a recent incident, and am waiting on consult (not till March 6!) Aloha.
|

replied February 26th, 2012
Usually, when you know of the incidence, you can track the original cause of the numbness. That odd sensation may subside on its own. However, it is good to get medical attention, and "Listen to the Voice of Pain and/or Numbness."

Sometimes it can be caused by Shingles, or be a Migraine, an infection, or a Tumor somewhere under the skull that's finally "talking." These need to be ruled out.

The ER will do a CT- CatScan and run blood work. With the above ruled out, your only other option is to consult with a neurologist, as a cervical nerve is most likely involved, causing the numbness. Example: the trigeminal nerve C4, causes facial numbness.

Hope this helps some of you with the "novocaine-like" numb feeling. I, too, have had a recent incident, and am waiting on consult (not till March 6!) Aloha.
|