Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acne and Skin Disorders Forum

Boil On Earlobe?! (Page 1)

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
Mad I have experienced boils many times before....Once larger than a softball on my upper thigh. I had to have that one lanced open. But just the other day I had a lump pop up on my ear lobe. It felt hard like a boil and got sort of warm...I have had them pop up on my earlobe before but they went away. This one began to break open. But is it possible to get a boil on your earlobe? Never heard of one occuring there.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile Jaydensmommy
|

replied February 10th, 2004
I actually have a lump or boil in my earlobe that I just recently noticed. Any idea of what it is? Mine is more visible from the back of the earlobe. Its acually making my ear really red and kind of throbbing if I put pressure on it. I'll probably go see an md if it doesn't clear soon.
|

replied April 9th, 2004
Painful Ear Swelling!
Your problem sounds like the exact same thing that has been affecting both of my earlobes for the past few years. Sometimes one, or both (usually both at the same time) of my earlobes will, over the course of two or three days, become red, swollen and hard. The lobes get to a point where they become quite painful, sometimes making it hard for me to sleep on the side of my head. I eventually get the nerve to just pick at them or squeeze them until a thick mixture of blood and puss oozes out. I generally get a lot of drainage. But after I squeeze most of the white stuff out of the lobe, it goes back to normal. This has been a recurring pattern for around three years or so. It happens maybe four or five times a year. I really wish I could find some way of preventing this, but nobody seems to have any good explanation of why this is happening. I am a 23-year-old male that has never had my ears pierced.
|

replied April 9th, 2004
Thats strange because mine swelled back down after a few weeks. I can still feel some residual thats hard in texture. Its really tiny though. I actually had my ear pierced many years ago. Not sure if there's any correlation there, but i'm sure glad its gone.
|

replied April 16th, 2004
I Have Your Answer For the Boils? On the Earlobes:)
My husband gets them all of the time. He complains that they are sore and hurt. Then eventually he tries to pop them like a pimple and sometimes it works. I just want everyone to know that it is called a sebacious cyst. They do not need to be popped!!!! It is dangerous to pop them yourselves. We just found this out yesterday..The cyst was on his earlobe and made it almost twice the normal size..He complained of it hurting and it went down into his neck right under his ear..And then he found one on the back of his head...Needless to say I took him to the emergency room and that is where we found out what is was. The doctor said it was uncommon to see it but she had seen it before and that it was a sebacious cyst. It is fatty skin tissue built up in the skin .. By my understanding. The only way to treat it is with antibiotics and this particular Dr. Cut my husbands open and drained the puss/blood out. She said that it would keep reoccuring until the "seed" was removed. No one can tell when the seed is removed but the Dr. Can cut, drain, and clean it and follow it with antibiotics. Most of the time they will continue to come back and if youre lucky they will drain the seed and it will go away. We were informed that it is nothing to play around with and by that I took it serious. Do not pop them! Just make a Dr.S appt. And let them take care of this sebacious cyst for you. I hope I helped someone out take care and if you find out anymore info let me know and in the subject type cyst/earlobes Smile ty
|

replied April 23rd, 2004
I'm 34 and i've been getting these for about 8 years.

A small lump appears in my ears, becomes swollen and painful, and then fills with fluid and finally after about a month it becomes slightly 'saggy' and bursts, releasing a think, smelly bloody discharge.

I've had one removed through surgery, but others have taken its place.

As far as I know they're little that can be done long-term, except for antibiotics.

The worrying thing in my case is that i've had similar lumps appear on the bridge of my nose and on the point of my jaw.
|

replied May 17th, 2004
Wow I also get the same thing. I get lil boils once and while in my earlobe that are very painful but they always go down in a couple of day. I also suffer from boils on my chin area and nose and cheekbone that become red, painful and just look awful and I dont even want to go outside but I have no choice. I try to treat it and do the things that I should not be doing but I still seem to get boils. Docts are full of !**@!!
|

replied May 17th, 2004
Hey kvocalist...

Yep...Chin, cheekbone and nose.

Sounds all very familiar.

Your handle suggests you sing...I writre music...Shall we wax lyrical about the joy of boils ?

Smile
|

replied May 24th, 2004
Heheh
ahpook wrote:
hey kvocalist...

Yep...Chin, cheekbone and nose.

Sounds all very familiar.

Your handle suggests you sing...I writre music...Shall we wax lyrical about the joy of boils ?

Smile

hehe we sure should man

chorus) boils boils so tenderly hard, if you pop em they will leave a scar and doctors need to be shot up the ass for giving us medication that lasts 6 months..........

Ok it never rymed but whatever we gotta smile.
|

replied May 31st, 2004
Please help I got the same problem its the size of a grape I tried to pop it with a needle but nothing comes out just alittle blood and some white puss but its not goin away its been 4 days already I soaked it in perioxide it dont hurt its just huge its coming out the back of my earlobe please someone help what should I do?
|

replied May 31st, 2005
I've had these same symptoms for over 10 years. Starting when I was about 16 years old and i'm 26 right now. I had it checked out by a doctor about 6 years ago. He said the lumps are benign (not cancerous). They're sebaceous cyst. He said he could remove them but they would likely return so I decided to just live with it. As the years have progressed they have become less an less of an issue.

I still have lumps but they don't get inflamed any more. So what happened? Why are they not getting irritated anymore? The two major things that I do are wash the area thoroughly with mild soap (i use "kiss my face" none scented olive oil soap) and avoid eating trans fats (hydrogenated oils, partially hygrogenated oils, fractionated oils, etc). I should point out though that i've changed a lot about my diet and life style -- I eat lots of fresh natural organic foods and avoid low quality fast foods and snacks with ingredients that sound unnatural. I also tend towards natural soaps, cleaners and detergents. Since all of these changes I still have the little lumps they just don't get big and ugly.
|

replied June 17th, 2008
thomas10 im an 18 yr old male and i have gotten on both my ears exactly what you described since i was a young kid probly 12 or 13 and have had them grow pretty large and then go down, and even removed and stitched up several times from two differnet surgeons. As many times as i have had them treated by surgeons they still seem to re occur and i have found that it comes from sleeping on one side of your head all night long causes a fluid buildup in that area so my advice would try to watch the way you sleep if you can see a pattern in when they occur. hope i could help
|

replied January 11th, 2009
Tea Tree Oil for Cysts
I had to have on of these cysts surgically removed. as i have a habit of finding bumps in my earlobe and squeezing, this happened to me again. The cyst is usually caused from an infection when the bump is squeezed but pops from the inside. As time went on my cyst began to grow, and in my complete panic i decided to randomly try dabbing some Tea Tree Oil on it, to my surprise my cyst began to drain itself over the next few days, and within a week of using the tea tree oil, my cysts was gone! no $400 surgery to have it removed, no needles, and no pain.

Good luck!
|

replied January 17th, 2009
sucks...
mine is about the size of a grape 2. i feel like i want 2 die.i have to hide it and life is sucking right now....Sad they keep coming back and it like theyre worse every time. just sympathizin wicha.
|

replied March 2nd, 2009
Subeaceaous Cysts
I have one now about the size of a pea behind my ear. i have had 4 surgeries for 5 of these ranging from the size of a cranberry to the size of a large grape. they are indeed subeaceaous cysts. the occur genetically in a certain % of the populus. they are the most popular office dr reason given in history my dr told me. extremely common. facts:
this is a subeaceaous gland, one for each hair on the skin, that has become blocked or completely healed over from repeated injury and infection. this is caused by incorrect digestion of fats. the fatty material builds up in the blood stream and if it can't escape the pores on some parts of your body. this results in acne, a precursor to sc's. sc's are full of a form of undigested dietary fat and this has turned into a blemish or maybe has just erupted below the skin. in any case they are all the same. do not squeeze, they can and will rupture internally and herniate and move around with a squishing sound between voids under the skin. they will continue to grow until you get them cut or they rupture externally from immune response. immune response can take years to take proper action and they can persist for decades before having to be removed. a hot compress will soften smaller ones on the ear and help drain them. tea tree oil is a miracle. go to the dr if it just gets so bad that you are saying things to yourself like "what the heck is this thing growing out the side of my head" or similar. usually keeping clean with high end facial products will maintain them but they are still ticking time bombs. the best thing to do is find out which foods are causing it by just trying to correlate outbreaks with different foods or snacks. this is not hard. and keep your hands clean and don't pick at or handle the cyst as you know you want to so bad. bacteria agrivates them and the skin and will make them flare. it's a figity, itchy kinda pain that doesn't really hurt as much as disgusts and makes you want it gone. go to the doctor get tea tree oil keep hands and prone areas clean and eliminate bad foods. absolutely no picking or popping or touching. this will just lead to compound cysts and growth.

regards,
comrade in arms
psy
|

replied June 17th, 2009
My fiance has these behind his ears and from what I have noticed these bumps mostly occur in males. I am an emergency medical tech and though I am not a doctor I can tell you do not mash these bumps, seek medical attention promplty. Surgery is the best option. Do not stick needles in it yourself, the last thing you need is the infection getting into more lacerated tissue and spreading. Especiallly without an antibiotic to back it up. I asume that these bumps turn up mostly in men because men naturally have more oil in their skin. ...and tend to bathe less often...
|

replied June 25th, 2009
Yes, ys and YES! Finally, people who know what I'm going through. I'm 50 years old and still get flare ups of these nasty sebaceous cyts. About twenty years ago I got one about two times a year at the place where the ear lobe meets the jaw, and twice a year I'd go to the Drs. for lancing and draining (yucky), but it kept coming like clockwork. The last time it happened I picked up the phone to make yet another appointment to have it drained and voila, it popped (really yucky) but the seed must have come out too because I haven't gotten it again. Now, however, I started squeezing (I should know better) a little bitty knot on my lobe and two days later it is now a huge, hard, red, painful and angry looking cyst/boil. I started using hot compresses, tea tree oil and Ichthammol Ointment 20% and it's slowly coming to a head. I'm hoping it will, like the other, pop on it's own soon because I'm going to the beach in two weeks. If it doesn't pop within a week I'll have to see my Doc I guess. I have noticed that these cysts pop up in me when I'm going through hormonal changes, when my immune system becomes weak (through stress, anxiety and/or lack of sleep) and when I restart a vitamin supplement program. My Dr. just gave me a Vitamin D shot and that spurred me on to start my supplement program again. I think (although this may not be medically proven) that when I start a vitamin supplement regimen, my immune system goes into overdrive and starts attacking and expelling toxins in my system. I've always been a "super healer" and I believe that my immune system attacks even minor "invaders" as if they were an entire army. I have always been scrupulously clean because of the cyst problem so I don't believe the cysts are exacerbated by poor hygiene. It could be that I'm too clean, i.e. all the topical cleansing and sterilizing could be ridding my skin of any natural epidermal fauna that would serve as enemies to the invaders (cysts). Whatever the cause, I just want it gone!
|

replied July 10th, 2009
Boils cysts on chin
Hi Everyone who has written on this msg board you are all obviously distressed about this re-curring condition, my advice from personal experience is to see your GP and have the depot injection or get on the microgynon contraceptive pill these help your hormones.I also recommend drinking Green Tea, good for your digestive system flushes out toxins- instead of Coffee/ Tea. and before you go to bed a chamomile tea which is anti imflammatory and will soothe and heal your skin from the inside. Cover up with a concealor if it makes you feel better. Good Luck I understand how you feel x
|

replied June 13th, 2010
Ashamed, Stressed and Depressed
OMG! I just h8 these things in my earlobes. Mine's about the size of a pea but not as large as grapes (in previous posts). I hope mine doesn't grow as large as grapes. I've only been getting them for about half a year, and I'm 18 now. I am surprised that people are getting them for 10 years, even up to the age of 50! as I thought it was a passing thing.
Frankly, (this is gross) I got one on my external sphincter and really pains when I need to defecate. It feels like the same thing that's in my earlobes, but is it?
Although I just massage (the ones on my earlobes) but never popping them, I can tell it would be the same as some persons previously explained i.e. pus & bloody discharge.
Moreover, I'm a vegetarian, so I don't think this situation arises from meat but has to do with a/some sort of fat that accumulates or it may have something to do with the fact that I tried to pierce my ear when I was younger as was influenced by older kinds and attempted to do so with a rust-infected needle whereby leaving an tiny (infected) hole causing these damned lumps.
I will try some of the tips mentioned above (including going to the doctor, "tea tree oil" etc.) but just thought I'd do a little research before attempting anything.
Thanks to all the people that posted advises. God Bless! And may everyone (including me) get well soon.

P.S. - I hope it's not cancerous!
|

replied May 22nd, 2011
Cyst
I have this problem for long time...... but now it's in bigger size. Hopefully it will also be ok, InshaAllah.
|
12 >>
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Dr. Kokil Mathur
User Profile