Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Lexapro - Pro's And Cons

Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
I've just been started on lexapro. Luvox and zoloft did nothing for me.
I'm very concerned about weight-gain side effects (since part of my problem manifests itself in anorexia), but generally concerned about all side effects.

Also, could anyone recommend a particular anti-depressant that seems to prevent weight gain?
Thanks~
storm
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 28th, 2004
Experienced User
Re: Lexapro - Pro's And Cons
Im not sure, the doctor put me on celexa. I had a way bad upset with that, then she put me on prozac, I just took the first one this morning.. Seems to be ok so far. Not sure about the weight gain thing, they didn't mention that in any of the side effects.
|

replied January 30th, 2004
In Regards to Weight Gain
I've been on celexa and effexsor, both made me lose weight as a side effect from the stomache upsets, and the added energy. Then again everyone reacts to meds differently, if your conserned with that just don't take one that makes you tired.
|

replied January 30th, 2004
Experienced User
My boyfriend is on 10 mg of lexapro and he has been for a few months. Now I notcie a change. A positive change that is. He has not gained weight and has had no side effects. It has really helped him alot. ~ erica.
|

User Profile
replied February 4th, 2004
Advanced Support Team
Effexor made me very sleepy, but I didnt gain weight.

~sara~
|
Users who thank Jaydensmommy for this post: imac120  imac120 

replied February 11th, 2004
Lexapro
Lexapro works great & no discernible side affects--no weight gain!!
|

replied August 30th, 2009
i have just started taking lexapro a week ago for depression/anxiety and it started working for me practically the second i took it. i know that its not fully to its potential yet but before i was crying at the drop of a dime (there's a lot of stuff im going thru) and i havent cried once since taking it. and about weight, i actually lost a pound and a half.
|

replied August 30th, 2009
Experienced User
I was just placed on Lexapro as well. From the research I have done, very few people have been very affected by this medication. I found a forum where all people did was complain about how bad it made them feel. I found a site (not sure of the name right now honestly) that told me the precentages of each side affect reported. Most were in the less than 10 % range. Most reported looked to be dry mouth and some sleepyness.

Best of luck to you. I have good spirits about this medication and I honestly hope this is the one that helps me. It's my first time trying any type of medication for my anxiety and panic issues. I took a 5 mg for the first time yesterday and honestly I went to a crowded baby shower (which normally I would be really jittery and nervous) but honestly I was fine through the whole thing.

I hope I do not gain the 10 pounds back. I hope I lose 10 more pounds. I am over weight by about 20-25 pounds, and even though the way I lost the weight was not the greatest (nor purposely) I hope it does not come back.
|

replied January 12th, 2010
I am 20 years old. I use lexapro for two months i must say great anxiety and depression are gone. I found Lexapro online on google i must say great medicine also for young people.
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Harpreet Singh
User Profile
Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD