Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Is back pain related to Gallbladder removal?

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
User Profile
It doesn't sound like anyone has my issues, well, maybe sort of -- first, my back pain took almost a week and a half to go away. Still today I get a twinge of the pain if I sit the wrong way. Second, I ended up having two procedures the same day -- gallbladder removal and ecrp, so I had to stay in the hosp for two days after -- could not get comfortable for about the first week just so I could sleep.

Went back to work on that monday (10/16) and was out tuesday b/c of the pain that I am still experiencing -- the reason for my post today. On 10/10 I started waking up with a burning sensation in the upper part of my stomach and then, just pain for the rest of the day -- at times it appears to disappear for about 5 mins, then it comes back. I can still eat, but I am incredibly nauseas (sp?) and can't/won't vomit. The nausea starts in the am when I wake up and pretty much stays with me the whole day.

This past weekend I stayed in the bed all day b/c I could not shake this pain in my upper abdomen mostly -- my upper abdomen is swollen and looks like a lip has formed and I get that watered down feeling too. Vicodin has worked well for me, but the Dr. Said to get off of it b/c he didn't know if it contributed to the added gas in my system used during the surgery. They also put me on prevacid too. I don't think it's working either b/c I still get that burning sensation in the am.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 30th, 2006
Appendix, Appendicitis, Gallbladder Disorders Answer A1722
Back pain that occurs in some body positions is probably related with the vertebral column or back muscles and not with a removed gallbladder. Some of the symptoms you report (pain and nausea) could be due to the surgical operation itself and they will probably disappear in time. You can request a prescrption for a spasmolitic (trospium) and metoclopramide to relieve the symptoms. Vicodin can cause dependency if used for longer period so you should avoid it.

You can consult your surgeon for help.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Gallbladder Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.