Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

Sudden Onset Exhaustion, Recovery Takes 2+ Hours

Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
Over the last 3 months, I have had 15-20 episodes of sudden-onset (within a minute or so) of extreme exhaustion. The episodes usually occur in the heat (but many times I have spent long hours in the heat with no episode). It is a sudden, overwhelming fatigue that requires me to lay down for 2 hours or more (the longest was 6 hours) before I feel up to par again.

My doctor has run tests for thyroid, diabetes, sed rate, etc. I also had a stress test on my heart. All were normal.

The episodes continue. I am only 40, and this just started 3 months ago. I'm beginning to think maybe it's the early stages of menopause? Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 29th, 2009
I have the same problem, and I'm 25! I'm wondering if I'm still sensitive from a fairly severe instance of heatstroke I had- my doctor said that one bad case can make you all the more sensitive to repeat episodes for months.
|

replied October 21st, 2009
sudden onset exhaustion
I'm 30 and have the same thing going on. I haven't been to the doc yet because I wanted to see what I can find out first. One big difference is when my exhaustion episodes hit, it seems to have nothing to do with heat--for instance, it's October, it's only 68 degrees inside, I haven't been that active today--but yet I really want to go lay down because I can barely keep my eyes open! Keep us all updated on what you find out! I'll do the same!
|

replied October 29th, 2009
yeah me too and im only 35 i'm not working i stay home everyday and really do a whole lot of nothing and i've been exhausted like this for so long! i wake up and then two hours later i'm ready for bed again what could be wrong?
|

replied January 21st, 2010
Has anyone found an answer? I walked to the laundry room this morning and felt fine. Returned to bedroom to get another load and could hardly put one foot in front of the other. This has happened in the middle of the grocery story, after a wonderful morning at church just walking to my car, etc. Doctors haven't found a clue as to what causes it.
|

replied May 6th, 2010
I have had the exact same problem with sudden fatigue with no apparent trigger. I had various tests, tried all different diets, I''m on a anti-depressant and I still have these spells. Even a strong cup of coffee doesn''t seem to help. It is only after laying down sometimes for different amounts of time that the sudden exhaustion dissipates. I tried eating differently in case it was an adrenal problem, but I''m still having the episodes. It interferes with daily life and I''m very frustrated,too!
|

replied September 18th, 2010
sudden onset exhaustion
I have exactly the same symptoms except it seems to be related to pregnancy with me. I've had two previous miscarriages and am now pregnant again with these sudden exhaustion episodes. I'm really worried I'll miscarry again as these episodes of acute exhaustion I feel must be hormonal. But cannot find any answers. My eyes suddenly feel so tight I cannot keep them open. I try to eat something sweet in case its blood sugar, but nothing really helps other than some sleep. I feel totally unable to work full time, its really affecting me.
|

replied November 11th, 2010
Overwhelming fatigue and the first day of menstrual cycle
I have an overwhelming of feeling really tired hte day before or the day of my mentration cycle. No matter where I'm at I feel so tired and can't seem to overcome the feeling. What is causing this??
|

replied January 27th, 2011
I have the same problem, lately. The only remedy I've found is to just take a ten minute nap, when possible.
|

replied February 15th, 2011
I have the exact same thing! However I'm a little than you all (53) but really Im a young 53, I have spots on the right side of my brain and have been going through many test, the only thing the Drs keep coming back with is possible MS. I have all the symptoms but my spinal tap was clear, they still havnt ruled it out but it also is totally interferring with my life! I have "went down" a few times, my legs & arms get really heavy and I'm sorta in a twilight (never really go completely out) its so frustrating! I just wish I had some answers so I could deal with the problem! I too have changed my diet, I do not eat any fast food at all very, very little resturant food, I eat as much organic as I can, and gluten free foods as much as possible...I was doing ok for awhile but this came on me again this past week. What does a person do?
|

replied June 25th, 2011
Try a neurologist...as the episodes might be partial seizures.
|

replied June 25th, 2011
Try a neurologist...as the episodes might be partial seizures.
|

replied November 4th, 2011
Anyone find an answer? I have had this happening to me for about 6 years now. The only other symptom i have is I also throw up (regurgitate food to be correct) at least once a day but usually multiple times. Not by choice and usually i do not know when it will happen. When it first started I saw 9 different doctors who basically all dismissed me with being single. They felt that I was in my thirties, alone, and overweight so I must be depressed. I tried to explain to all of them that before this started I ran three miles a day, had lost 50 pound over the two past years and was single by choice. Now I at the point that I cannot get through a day of work without a nap and usually come home and go to sleep. Please post if someone knows what causes this because I want my life back.
|

replied January 11th, 2012
exhaustion, tiring to breath, got to lay down. Please help.
Please someone post any kind of cause. I have been suffering from this for the last month after going thru many tests for why my migraines got suddenly worse three months ago and a month plus of prednisone to treat a high sed rate also with no explanation. I barely have the energy to walk to the bathroom in the morning, I get bursts of energy to do small tasks, but end up short of breath even after taking a rest. Now my upper back hurts from my odd breathing - I feel like I have just lifted a ton when out of condition,you know when start a new excercise- but i havent done a thing! No amount of sleep cures it although small naps give me a small jump of energy to get up.
Drs have not found a cause for any of the recent problems, just a few odd test results that are not definitive. Maybe it is the many meds I am on, or maybe my body hates me. checked for ms, lupus, waiting for thyroid test and other basic blood work. I cant stand this exhaustion anymore. I am so tired from breathing(I have asthma but not that kind of shortness of breath) I just have to lay down which helps the back fatigue, but it just gets bad again when I try to do something. Doesnt matter how I sit, stand (standing is just as exhausting- and my body shakes from the fatigue like I have just run a marathon) I have to stop and take a deep breath occasionally because now my breathing is much shallower than usual.

Please help

Please help.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied April 28th, 2012
Sudden Overwhelming Fatigue
Hey ladies, I found a site that might help some of you.

http://trusted.md/blog/vreni_gurd/2007/11/ 30/overwhelming_fatigue#axzz1tNr0brY8
|

replied September 6th, 2013
My sudden onset exhaustion w/palpatations episodes started in 2011. I'm a diabetic although my sugar levels were always normal during these episodes. The dr kept lowering the insulin. I had an episode during a surgical follow up and, after taking my BP they said it wasn't diabetes related and took me to ER. Diagnosis was a small stroke. The MRI was abnormal so they did a CT angiogram. I had a seizure within minutes of the machine injecting the dye. EEG was abnormal but, a different neurologist said it wasn't. I still have the sudden exhaustion onset episodes and if I can't fight it off I have a seizure. Some drs say they're non epileptic seizures caused by stress, others say they don't know. I have fibromyalgia, cancer survivor, sleep apnea, narcolepsy and diabetes. I take pills to stay awake but they don't prevent the SOE. I don't work, drink alcohol, smoke or drink/eat caffeine. They thought my heart was causing them so they implanted a heart monitor but, it's not showing anything. There is an answer but, am too tired to find it.
|