Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Alternative Medicine Forum

Looking For Herbs For Anxiety Disorder

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
I have gad and I need to stop overthinking and fearing and worrrying my mind feels shot, any herbs you recomend, ive takin st johns wort, 5htp, gaba, omaga 3's, vitamins, and I bit of passion flower. I think there kkeeping me off the edge but I need a ver powerfull herb to relax my mind and get rid of fears , worrying, overthinking, please help thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 14th, 2006
Re: Looking For Herbs For Anxiety Disorder
mikey v wrote:
i have gad and I need to stop overthinking and fearing and worrrying my mind feels shot, any herbs you recomend, ive takin st johns wort, 5htp, gaba, omaga 3's, vitamins, and I bit of passion flower. I think there kkeeping me off the edge but I need a ver powerfull herb to relax my mind and get rid of fears , worrying, overthinking, please help thanks

sorry, no magic pills that i've been able to find - so far. Meditation and relaxation seems to be far more effective (though a lot of work and practice.) reciting positive affirmations also seems to help.
Yeah, I know, that sounds like ethereal balderdash, but if you cut to the core of it, and eliminate all the "touchy, feel-good" nonsense, it really does help.

I guess a good part of it comes from what you expect of it. It took me a long time to accept the fact that it might help, then tailor it to my beliefs and needs, and it is a lot of work and practice, but I can say that it helps me.

If you find a pill (or herb, or drops, or whatever) that does turn it off, let me know......

Paul
|

replied January 2nd, 2007
Re: Looking For Herbs For Anxiety Disorder
Hi mikey,

you should see the video below. It's 10min long and exactly about what you need it seems.

Regards, torben

http://tinyurl.Com/yfpxqh
|

replied January 9th, 2007
Experienced User
A multivitamin and efa's are good for you in general, so i'd say stay on those. However, they won't cure anxiety unless the absence of those had created an underlying problem which caused your anxiety.

I've tried 5-htp, doesn't work by itself. Passion flower is good for calming. L-theanine is good for calming and panic attacks. St. John's wort helps some.

But there are 3 products that I found to have worked the best. Hope dropping brand names is okay, because i'm not connected to these in anyway or make money in anyway. I won't provide links either.

1. Is the attacking anxiety and depression program you see advertised late at night in the infomercials. Her programs has become so prevalent, that I now see commercials during the day along with radio ads. It's expensive though, about $400 I think. But I used it and had good results within a few weeks. In fact I never finished the program and stopped practicing. Which is probably why I now use the next two products. I do think this product works, but after being well for some time as a result of it I then had my mother die and I needed to relax and didn't want to restart the program so I bought a formula of st. John's wort, etc. I thought the st. John's wort was causing a rash (which it can in certain people), so I sought another product and found...

2. Amoryn. It's a depression/anxiety product that uses hyperforin (sp?) which they say has become the proven effective substance from st. John's wort, as opposed to hypericin. It also contains rhodiola and some 5-htp. I know it's still a st. John's wort product, but since it's just a specific ingredient extracted I gave it a try hoping it wouldn't cause a rash, if my rash were indeed caused by sjw in the first place.

3. Serodyn. It's a anxiety/panic-attack product made by the same company that has passion flower, l-theanine, etc. I bought this one because anxiety was my problem, not depression, but figured a daily depression pill (amoryn) would work better since xanax, an anxiety medication didn't work for me, but effexor ananitdepressant, did work. I got off of these drugs by using the program mentioned above. I also bought this one, because amoryn can take a few weeks to begin working and can sometimes cause increased anxiety at first. I wanted this to combat that increased anxiety as well as make due while I waited for amoryn to work.

There sites are very informational and include studies, comparisons to prescription drugs, and list of side effects. I had minor side effects when first starting amoryn. Just a slight headache the 2nd and 3rd day and some increased anxiety. Then in about 10 days when I upped the dose to 2 pills a day, I had increased anxiety again for a few days. However, the serodyn got me through those short, minor, and temporary bumps. I'd take an amoryn early in the day, a serodyn in the middle as to prevent anxiety, my second amoryn, and then another serodyn at night which is when i'd usually have my anxiety. I'd take more serodyn if I had present anxiety.

After several weeks however, I began not taking any serodyn and now just take 2 amoryn a day. I haven't had any panic attacks, no real anxiety, and no depression (though depression was never really my problem). If I think I might face something anxious i'll take a serodyn. But otherwise i've been symptom free, the side effects were mild and very temporary. Now, I really only experienced bad side effects from the prescription drugs when coming off of them, so I don't know what it's like to come off of amoryn, but overall the experience is more positive than what I had with the rx drugs.
|

replied December 12th, 2013
Try this and inexpensive
You can also try taking Pure raw unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar, I recommend Braggs. Also take Pure Cacao Powder. I think that this can help. It helps me a bit to relax.
|