Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

When did I Ovulate and when did I Conceive?

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
User Profile
I'm pregnant. My LMP was Aug. 01, 2006. Which means I probably ovulated on 14th. I know for certain I had sex on Aug. 18th. I took my pregnancy test on Aug.25th (and I took it because my nipples were extremely sore, as with my prior pregnancies first symptoms) and it was positive. My question is this..IF I had conceived on Aug 18th, is that adeqquate time for fertilization,and implantation to secrete enough HCG in urine for a positive test exactly 7 days later? Or did I likely conceive prior to the 18th?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied October 23rd, 2006
Pregnancy Answer A1686
To predict the possible ovulation date you need 2 pieces of data: the last menstruation date (the first day your period began) and the regular duration of the menstrual cycle. We can never know exactly how long a menstrual cycle will last but we can assume an average duration if the woman has regular cycles/periods. If we know the cycle’s duration and the date the last period began, we can assume the date of the next expected menstruation (period). A possible ovulation date is defined according to the next expected period date, not according to the date of the last menstruation. The rule says that ovulation happens about 14 days before the next period comes. This means that ovulation will happen 14 days after last period date only if the cycle’s duration is 28 days. If the cycle lasts 21 days, the ovulation will occur 7 days after the first day of the last period (21-14). If the cycle lasts 35 days, the ovulation will occur (35-14) 21 days after the first day of the last period. In your case, it is impossible to predict ovulation date because you didn’t gave me the data about cycle duration.

A pregnancy test becomes positive after implantation, about 8-10 days after conception (fertilization of the egg-cell). In your case, it is possible that you conceived on the 18th of August. because exactly 8 days had passed until pregnancy test became positive on the 25th of August.

I have to potentate that all these dates are predictions and they are not 100% sure!

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pregnancy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.