Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

I Need Help From Dog Owners

Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
We have a 4 month old golden retriever.. And im 38 weeks preg.. Yes I know it was quite insane to get a dog with a baby so close in the future.. But couldnt help it..(long story) anyways can anyone offer advice on how to introduce them to each other.. And he is still a puppy so he doesnt know not to jump up or nibble on fingers, besides that he is awesome.. No wait one more thing- he hates when me and my husband kiss. He has to break us up!! So im worried that same jealousy or attention craving will be towards the baby as well Sad so any ideas would be very appreciated jen
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 18th, 2006
Especially eHealthy
Well I saw on tv once where a couple was pregnant and they had a dog who liked to jump, they took him to obediance classes and the teacher told them that whenever the dog goes to jump on them when they walk into a room them to turn around and not pay attention to him or her, and then when they learn and they dont jump anymore then to give them doggy treats and pet them and they should learn that way.

Good luck.

Edit because I said "hump" not "jump" Laughing
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Sounds like he is already jealous with the kissing thing. We have a cheseapeake bay retreiver which I dont know if you know this but they are basically psycho dogs. He morphs into the devil himself after 8 pm.

Anyway, our ped suggested when the baby is first born, someone should come home with his scent on a blanky and let the dog sniff a few times and tell him something positive when he does it. Something like thats the babies or something. Then when you bring the baby home let him sniff and pet him at the same time saying positive things in a nice tone to the dog.

Secondly, you have to make sure you give the dog attention and play with him when you get a break from the baby. If you suddenly start giving him less attention I promise you he will get jealous.
|

User Profile
Active User, very eHealthy
Hey hun. I have a 6 week old baby and my fiance's mom has golden retreivers, they breed them. And they're really good with the baby. We just left landon in his carseat and the dogs sniffed him and tails wagged and it went totally fine, we just dont let them lick landon but thats up to u. Its cute when landon cries the dogs come running to see if hes okay. I think goldens are really good dogs for babies. With the jealousy, id just make sure u give him enough attention, and maybe both of u give him attention b4 u kiss. Sorry not really sure wat to say about the jealousy thing:p but anyways, hope this helped some. Good luck!
|

Especially eHealthy
I'm a little nervous about my dog too. He's 3 years old and very aggressive towards other people and dogs. The only people he's okay with are my parents and my brothers, which is weird. It's kind of like he knows they're family so he loves them. Anyone else he would attack if given the chance. But he is such a little snuggly peach with me and my husband so I can't even imagine giving him away. My parents are going to take him while we're at the hospital so we're going to send a receiving blanket home with them for him to smell so he can used to it. I'm hoping he'll see how gentle we are with the baby and he'll be okay with him. We're also going to make sure he gets plenty of attention too, and of course i'm not going to leave the baby alone with the dog. I really really don't want to have to get rid of him but I will if he ever does anything bad to the baby. I'm just hoping for the best.
|

Active User, very eHealthy
Oh my gosh! I think that this is the dog troubles forum b/c my 2 year old german shepherd does the same thing! When my hubby and I are cuddling, kissing, or even when he gives me a massage, my dog starts barking and she'll try to jump up on his lap! And she starts whining and wimpering if she can't! Confused
|

Especially eHealthy
I have an .American .Pittbull and and .American .Bulldog. Both full blooded. As you know, pits have a bad reputation. But she is the sweetest dog i've ever come across!

They're both 3 years old and very obedient. When I started to show, I would let them smell my belly and say "baby in the belly" over and over and over.

We then got a baby doll that laughed and cried. We would hold it and cradel it and treat it like a real baby. If they would try to play with it, they would get repremanded and told "no! Baby in the belly!"

baron took home a blanket and let them smell it. When I got home with .Oni, .Baron was freaking out because he didn't know how they would respond.

I just sat down on the sofa and they came running up and smelling away. I repeated baby in the belly, baby in the belly, baby, baby, baby in the belly. They smelled her and then walked off. I then showed them my belly and showed them that .Oni was "baby in the belly".

When she first cried they freaked. But it was good after about 2 days. Now, if *anybody* they don't know comes around and the baby is near, they go try to attack. They are *very* protective towards her.

That's good in a way, but i'm scared that if I try to correct .Oni, they will come after me. Although me and .Baron are the "alpha-males", they're still dogs....

Sorry for this being so long, I just thought that being straight forward with your dog before the baby comes will help. Get a baby doll that makes noises to prepare the pup.

Sarah
|

Dogs Behaving Badly
Hi, I have a 8 month old doberman and a mini doberman that is 5 years old. I do not have children, but my best friend has a 1 year old and he has been around the dogs from day one. I have found that the best way to train a dog to do anything is time out! I know it sounds funny and people laugh all the time when we threaten to send one of the dogs, but when they see how well it works, they are impressed!. We have a dog house that is outside, so they are away from us (that is really the punishment and a loss of freedom) we put a door on the house and a lock (just hook really). When they act up I give them a warning to stop, second warning is stop or time out and if they get to the third (this is rare), they go to time out. I usually base the time off of the crime, but usually only 2-5 min and they learn. It isn't mean and they learn that they don't want to be there very quickly. The jealousy thing is a big problem, that pup is a lot bigger than your new addition!
|

Extremely eHealthy
I saw on a baby story once that it's good to buy a baby doll and wrap it up in a blanket and pretend it's real for a little while. I'm not sure how long. I'm sure it would feel silly to do that, but the dog knows that you have something fragile in your hands by the way you treat it and it'll help the transition.
I have a few friends that have chihuahuas and new babies and even though they're fiesty dogs, they did well with the babies. My mom has two chihuahuas (one is actually mine that I didn't take when I moved out). I'm interested to see how that goes.
Well not knowing about what I saw on the baby story, my mom went to a garage sale and bought two baby dolls for the dogs. She walked in and threw them on the floor and the dogs grabbed them and within a day or so the dolls were all messed up. She told me what she did and then I told her what I saw. I was like, "what are you teaching those dogs about babies? They're going to rip the baby up!" of course we wouldn't throw ava on the floor, so we laughed about it.
It was funny. Hopefully the dogs forget about that experience with "babies". Lol
|

User Profile
Extremely eHealthy
Remember that puppies will be puppies, they are like children, it might be a good idea to start him/her in a puppy obedience class with your hubby and talk with a good trainer about this and I also agree that after the baby is born to allow the puppy to get used to the baby's smell. I hope that things work out for you as I am a animal lover, I also love babies! You might be surprised sometimes they take to babies very well, ours always did, we always had dogs, we have an irish wolfhound and a mix beagle and a cat. They are the babies now plus our full grown young adults.
Good luck!
|

Especially eHealthy
Definately don't let the dogs play with the baby doll. Black girl did that and I beat her for treating the baby like that. Of course, she just wanted it to make the noise. But, she needed to know that you don't do that to the "baby"!!!

Lol...I'm sure everyone's dog will take well to the baby. They know what babies are. They have babies too, ya know?
Reguardless of the breed, never leave your baba alone with them.

Black girl and .Suga clean the baby's ears and if she spits up...They're right there cleaning it up!!Horrible I know....But they always beat me!!

Sarah
|

User Profile
Especially eHealthy
My neighbors owned a dog that was somewhat mean and they were worried that when the baby was born she would hurt him.Well the baby was born and when they brought him home the dog loved him.Well after a while when the baby would cry and they would go into his room,the dog would be laying by the crib and get up and growl at the owners so they had to get rid of him.He got too protective of the baby
|