Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Compulsive Overeating? Help!

Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....
I have coe (though I am not overweight... Actually i'm almost underweight), and I read an article about it yesterday. It basically said that people with eating disorders and/or other methods of self-injury are doing this because they don't know how to cope. They can't self-soothe. So, I thought, "aha! I have found why I overeat... I'll just not eat as much anymore and learn to self-sooth."

okay, I thought about this all night and all today, and really, I don't even know what self-soothing is! When I tried to make a list, this is how it turned out:

i had some things listed as distractions (like running, watching a movie, taking a bath, ect.), but I couldn't stop trying to put down stuff like having a cup of hot cocoa, eat a snack, eat some pizza, eat, eat, eat, eat! It's all I think about. How in the world do I self-soothe myself? It's crazy. I feel so pathetic that I don't know to do this.

Any ideas?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 17th, 2006
Experienced User
I know what you mean like when I get bored I will eat even if I aint hungary and thats all I think bout til I do
|

User Profile
replied October 18th, 2006
Active User, very eHealthy
I know what you mean, i've gone through that and it worked to me writing down what I ate every meal, so that I knew that I was overeating and felt guilty. This way i'd stop.
But, careful, it can become vicious :p

good luck Smile
|

replied July 22nd, 2009
I overeat when i have completely nothing else to do with my time. They say keep busy but there really is nothing to do when you live in a small town.
|

replied August 4th, 2009
i do the same - its because of boredom - if u were out and about, u wouldnt think about eating - try chewing gum to keep your mouth occupied - or chew on a straw - this website also helped and acts as a survival guide for me when i cant stop binge eating!!
|

replied June 23rd, 2011
Ok, I'm sorry to all the other posters who say to "just keep busy" but if you truly have COE, that is not going to help. The second you are not "busy" you're going to stuff your face again.

COE isn't about boredom it's a serious mental disorder. Would you tell someone who was depressed to "just smile"?

Sweetie I hate to break it to you but you probably need therapy. I think by "self soothing" the article meant that we don't know how to deal with emotions, whether happy, sad or anything else. This is not an issue you can just distract away.

Most eating disorders come right along with something else (depression, anxiety, OCD, bipolar, etc) and there's usually a good chance that if you can treat the underlying issue, the eating disorder will subside.

That's not always the case, of course, and you should really talk to your doctor about this. Otherwise you'll be living with it your whole life.

Good luck <3
|