Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Brain and Head Injuries Forum

Sharp Pain Top Right Side of Head

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
This has been going on i'd say about a month now and the pain isnt that severe ..Minor really. But i've been getting a sharp type feeling in the top of my right side of my head maybe 2-3 times a day. The pain only lasts a few seconds then goes away and it's really random when it happends. I'm thinking it may be stress related but i'm not sure. I went to the hospital for another issue I had and told them about it. They checked my eyes and told me it was probably nothing serious and that it would go away on its own ...So they didnt give me a scan. I'm just scared its a tumor ..Is this a symptom? Thanks in advance for your help.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile SHANBURN
|

replied January 26th, 2007
I Feel Your Pain (literaly)
I've been having intense sharp pain above my left eye that goes into my head for a few years now. It is getting worse. I have it usually on a daily basis. It hurts for about a minute and my vision is now becoming blurry. I am not sure what it could be. I read tht it could be a nerve or something. It hurts like heck and is scary. I just called my doctor and am waiting for a call back. Good luck!
|

replied January 31st, 2007
Sharp Headache Pain
Just within the last couple of days, I have had this intensely sharp pain in my left temple. I think it actually woke me up last night. Then today, as I was walking to my car, it hit again and I put pressure on my temple to relieve the pain. Just sitting here at the computer, I feel my neck and shoulders are a little sore. But, I have never had a sharp pain in my head like this before. It doesn' last very long, but when it hits, it really hurts and is concerning to me. Does anyone here know what this might be causing this pain?
|

replied June 29th, 2008
SO glad I'm not the only one!
That same thing has been happening to me for two or three months now. My parents have no idea what it might be, but they don't beleive me when I say it might be Neuralgia. The thing is, it's never in the same place. It's almost always in my head, and it lasts for like 30 sec. or a minute, but it happens at different places and different times. I know that really sharp pain, and I feel for you! I don't have a diagnosis, but I really hope you find something, and that it's nothing major. Fingers crossed!
|

replied November 14th, 2008
I think i know what the cause is !!!
hi everyone...
I was experiencing the same exact symptoms the sharp pain that would only last a couple of seconds and I had to get a MRI and it figured out that I have Chiari Malformation (Type 1). This is a malformation of the skull in the back of the head were the brain nerves comeout and the hole is too small so it squeezes thr nerves which causes the sharp pain . other symptoms are headaches, clumziness, and dizziness. and a few more if you search it on google you can get a lot about this malformation but make sure to type in type 1. there are 3 types. I now go to a neurologist every 6 months because they have to check your brain and see how the sharp pains are and the headaches are going. Sorry i typed soo much!haha.
I hope i helped some people nice talking to you ...Bye!
|

User Profile
replied May 10th, 2009
SAME SHARP PAIN
Pain started about a year ago 2 to 3 times a day lasted for only a few sec so never went to a dr. and the pain was always the same spot felt like a clot that would finally pass. then one day at work i collapsed and had a seizure. never having a history they rushed me in to the hospital by ambulance i felt fine when in went in to hospital then not long after i had a major seizure and then they just kept coming 20 to 30 a day grand mal and petite mals i have no memory for 2 and 1/2 weeks was not able to eat was in icu for 3 weeks and the whole time there they i complained of my right side of my head killing me they were baffled they were not able to help me all the mri ekg and blood work looked fine they did 3 eegs on me first one abnormal next 2 normal so they slowly weened me off my seizure meds and i got better pain still there and now i have sizurs
and they say they are unable to find anything wrong with me and called what i had pseudo seizures and i the pain now is esculating and moving to the left side now scared and feel alone test show nothing but i i know there is something not right any one ever heard of this?
|

replied April 15th, 2012
wow.... I have the same issues .. I have had seizures for 23 years now but it is not epilisy , Seizure disorder... da.. anyway. I have also the repeated grand mal and the clonic seizures..once at hostpital ( 6-44) They can never make then stop.i also dont have any recollection of about 2 weeks or more,,, i cant walk or talk or know where i am.. *I have ended up in pych ward, a couple times ..terrifying.I am being tested after being on dilatin and lamitige also several other .. I have often thought stress. i have permant brain damage i am sure. i had one a few weeks ago and cooridination motor skills etc.. are still weird, anyway back to the new test... something about it being bio-chemical... sodium levels are off.Yes.. i have been abused by the medical system i believe. they always book me as an overdose. Even when almost all tox screen come back negetive ..eeg's this time came out fine.. always said damage in left cerebrel cortex, (Hard knock to the head,is why my started i see now) but this years tests say nothing is wrong,tested for brain tumor. it it wonderful to not feel alone anymore,
|

User Profile
replied May 11th, 2009
Supporter
Sharp pain
Please keep on this with your doctor..A scan would be a big relief if no problem and if there is a problem catching it before it becomes traumatic..I have met 2 people who were being told they had migraines-oh they had migraines but they also had other issues..One had a small tumor--operable..The other my sister-had a tumor in the meninges-only partially opearable..This means it could reoccur for her..

I firmly believe in taking charge of ones health as I have seen what happens if you don't..

Most doctors are over worked..Mistakes can happen..I say don't be a mistake..

I am not saying you have a tumor--only saying safe than sorry never ever hurts anyone..
|

replied October 5th, 2009
am 18 and i have the same sharp pain in the right side of my brain. but mine last for more than just seconds, they can go on for about an hour. it seems to get more painful each time that the pain comes back, painkillers do not help anymore and today i almost passedout at school due to the intense of the pain.
|

replied October 29th, 2009
Sharp Pain, right Side of head
For the last day and a half I have this sharp pain in the right side of my head just above the temple and it shoots back to about above my ear and it feels like a sharp knife sliced into my head it last for a few sec.

Now as I am typing it's in one spot above my ear and last for a few secs. I think I will go to the emergency room if it does not stop this evening.
|

replied December 27th, 2009
you could simply have a pinched nerve and i have read that these pains can be from stress
|

replied January 19th, 2010
People I feel obliged to mention here that if you start getting a really intense headache out of the blue and/or you have a stiff neck or shoulders you should immediately go to an emergeancy room as in this case it could be meningitis, i very strongly reccomend you check the symptoms yourselves. Also if you do believe this is what it is, tell the doctor who is treating, as it is hard to spot, and very dangerous and rapid disease, so this should speed up treatment and ensure your chances. Just thought i shoulf let you all know that, I had it myself, i was very lucky.
|

replied February 20th, 2010
I had that quite often too, and my mum told me that maybe is too cold, so i easily get headache is that true?
plus my shoudlers alway very stiff, dont really ,and sometime i could really headache till very heavy, like my head like a metal ball.
|

User Profile
replied March 15th, 2010
I have the same problem too with you guys, I've been having intense sharp pain above my left eye also and I believe its a sign of migraine, so what I did is Make sure to eat regularly, exercise and proper rest.. its very effective and for 3 months i'm not having that problem anymore..I still have to observe if it will come back...
|

replied April 13th, 2010
Sharp pain on side of head
I been getting a sharp pain on the right side of my head. About 2inches above me ear. Last for few seconds.Never ha it before. No other signs. No headache either. Could be stress. What should I do?
|

replied April 28th, 2010
GET A SCAN! Seriously get every scan you can get done. These range from CT, MRI and PET scans to EEG, rEEG and qEEG. I would get everyone of them done if I was you. I had an EEG done and there was a major spike in the right hemisphere of my brain (I feel a constant pain on my right side) and my memory is impaired and attention and speech so basically I''m a walking zombie. Get it checked for your piece of mind
|

replied May 5th, 2010
i am 13 and i have had horrile pain on my right side of my head more twards the side a little farther then my temple. it hurts so bad like a hard baceball just hit me. it has been for months now. i keep asking my parents to take me to the doctor but they think i am a hycrodraict!!!!!! help!
|

replied December 7th, 2011
go to school nurse and tell her if u r stil having this...: )
|

replied January 13th, 2011
Sharp pains and migraines
I've suffered with migraines since the 6th grade. They effect my vision and they used to occur pretty regularly. After a couple of years I was put on birth control because they believed that it was due to a hormone imbalance in my brain. The birth control has really helped. The migraines don't occur as often or as severely. I however still have the headaches and just recently I've been getting random pains at the top right of my brain and behind my right eye. These are sharp pains that only last a few seconds. I'm still unsure what these pains are, but I can't lie...Its kind of scary.
|

replied March 29th, 2012
Hey there,

I am shalini 24 years old i have a intense pain towards the right top side of my head... not sure what it is can any one please tell me
|

replied April 22nd, 2012
pain in middle of my head
i have pain on the top of my head its comes for 1 or 2 seconds then go away ....i don't know what is it ....
but this is start from yesterday and i am 19 years old..when this pain will come i feel i touch the electric wire....
|

replied July 31st, 2012
I've been diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia. It consists of facial pain caused by the trigeminal nerve. The ain't can come unexpectedly may last seconds minutes or hours. Feels like a electric shock very painful and it's triggered by every day activities
Look it up and check your symptoms to see if they are equivalent.
|