Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Skin Forum

Fungus? Parasite? Bacteria? Symptoms On Hair

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and myth...plus who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
Quite a long time ago, I noticed a strange kind of yellow sheath around my armpit hairs. It was only in one armpit and that armpit seemed more prone to smell of body odor, so I assumed it was a normal thing. I assumed that it was the normal kind of bacteria that causes body odor, and so I shaved my armpits and when showering gave them extra attention. They sometimes appear on my other armpit and recently i've found them on my crotch! Due to the nature of the skin there, shaving is out of the question. I must find out what this is and how to get rid of it.

Individual hairs will have something like a sheath. A hard white-ish, yellow-ish layer wrapped around it, usually beginning at the bottom of the hair and going all the way to the top. It isn't very thick, it barely doubles the thickness of a single hair. It's not perfectly smooth but kind of ringed like a stack of tires would be. If I grab it with my nails usually (but not always) the hair will come out before the resin or whatever it is will come off. I've gone to numerous health sites looking for similar symptoms but i've been able to find nothing. What is this? Is it normal? How can I get rid of it? I would be quite content to simply find out what it's called so I could do some research about it, but if anyone can suggest a treatment i'd be very pleased.

Thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 18th, 2009
I have this same issue was there ever an answer to this? I would like to know what the answer is I have pretty much the exact same issue.
|

replied October 19th, 2009
I had it for a few years, tried to shave it off etc and kept coming back. I never went to a doc, because i get embarrassed easily. So anyway one day i thought i would use EXIT MOULD (cleaning agent in a spray bottle)I sprayed it on and left it for about 1 minute then jumped in the shower and washed it off, next thing it was basically gone! It did come back after about 2 weeks so i did it again and so forth. It has been about 6 months now since i have had to use it, hopefully it is gone for good. The only down side to this is it is a bleach, it cant be too good for you but at least its gone and i dont stink!!!!
|

replied January 21st, 2011
For the armpits, if you put tea tree oil on it really regularly (at least once or twice a day) that should kill it, although it might came back very occassionally. Also, sea salt water is great for killing it.
|

replied May 17th, 2013
Its follicitis and staph. I have it too my nose hairs itch and its yellowish sheen on my cheeks. I feel a wiggle on my skin too. I had to get antibiotics and most doctors try to hide it so good luck getting hekp
|