Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Gallbladder Disease Forum

Tiredness?

Must Read
Are you suffering from gallbladder pain? We describe the location and function of the gallbladder to target possible problems....
When do you need to see a doctor about possible gallbladder problems? Learn to distinguish signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease to take action before it's...
Gallstones are the most frequent cause of an inflamed gallbladder. Know the common symptoms of gallstones or gallstone attack....
Hiya, I have recently been diagnosed with gallstones following numerous attacks of severe pain and 2 hospital admissions, through stones blocking bile ducts and causing pancreatitis. I now await a ercp and then a gall bladder removal. Aside of the pain, my other concern is tiredness and weight loss. I have lost a substantial amount of weight through not eating as I am scared of the pain kicking in and I am extremely tired all the time. Am I tired due to lack of food and vitamins or is this another symptom of the gall stones? Sad
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied October 25th, 2006
Gallbladder
Your body is just going through a lot, and tiredness is one of the symptoms. I had my gallbladder removed in june. Still sick, found out that there was a stone stuck in my bile duct, and they had to remove it via an ercp.

You'll feel much better soon!

Lori
|

replied October 27th, 2006
Hi and thanks for that lori.

I hope your recovery is going better now they have removed those stones from your bile ducts. My attack have really increased in frequency....Around 2/3 attacks each week. I am currently eating nothing but low fat soup and drinking water! I have lost just over 4 stone since april.....Though I would accept I could well afford to lose it, its not good weight loss, I feel awful and its now getting to a stage where I cant afford to lose much more! I'm off to the hospital again on monday, this time for a mri scan. I never ever thought I would want surgery so much but I have had enough now!!! Crying or Very sad
|

replied November 2nd, 2006
You will feel a lot better after the ercp. I went through the same thing a few months ago and my bile duct was completely blocked when I came in. I was in a lot of pain even the same day the ercp was done, and afterwards it was as if the pain never had been there.

I've also had pancreatitis as a side effect of the stone in the bile duct and yes, you lose a lot of weight and get tired. Your liver is not working very well when your bile duct is blocked and due to that you get tired and drained.

Good luck with the mri and I hope the surgery will solve things for you.

C.
|

replied November 18th, 2006
Mri
Hi

i went for an mri scan last week and was told they couldn't see my gallbladder despite being in the machine for 40 minutes?? Does anyone have idea why this might be??

I'm also due for the ercp on wednesday so im hoping for a little less pain afterwards!
|

replied November 24th, 2006
Ercp
Had ercp on wednesday. Short bout of pancreatitis afterwards but allowed home that evening. Ercp showed no stones in my bile ducts but they cut the ducts as they said I do have small stones in my gallbladder (now they can see it!!).
I have been having cramping pains in the middle of my stomach, in between my ribs ever since. This is a new sensation which started only since the procedure Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
|

replied August 17th, 2011
gallstones
hi

i recently had a severe episode of abdominal and chest pains and they found i had a gallstone the size of a marble. im not overweight, 40 or fair as the indications suggest. just female! i was 10 stone 7, but lost half a stone in a week and the pounds seem to keep dropping off. is this normal even though i am eating small amounts? like you i am extrememly tired all the time and very nauseaous.
|

replied August 17th, 2011
Experienced User
I'm not overweight and I'm not female, but I am fair and in my 40's Smile That did seem to throw the doctors off the scent for a while, and they asked me a lot of questions about how much alcohol I drank before they worked out that my gallbladder was annoying my liver and not binge drinking.

Many people lose weight when they have gallstones. Cutting down on fat, being unable to eat large meals, or just being too scared to eat much at all. The half a stone in a week is likely to be mostly loss of food in your intestine and loss of some fluids rather than actual loss of fat, but if you don't eat then you'll lose more weight. Insufficient food will mean insufficient energy, and throwing up doesn't help either.

Make an effort to find foods you tolerate well, perhaps carbohydrate foods like pasta or bread, perhaps yoghurt or fruit. Some people swear by cottage cheese. Then make an effort to eat as much of the foods you can tolerate as you dare, perhaps eating more small meals instead of 2-3 large ones. Also keep your fluids up. I lost a stone (and I weight less than you!) and then managed to just about stabilise my weight, but living off breakfast cereal and melon wasn't really a longterm solution.
|

replied April 21st, 2012
I have just been diagnosed with gallstones and have gone through similar accusations over what I eat drink etc. This makes you feel very guilty over what is a very common occurence as most people have gallstones but may not cause any problems. I blame the media hype about so called 'lifestyle' choices affecting our health. At the end of th day no one wants to be ill and in most cases it relly is just one of those things. Gallstones is a very frightening and extremely painful condition that often takes a long time to diagnose becuase doctors are too busy blaming the conidtion on us. It took mine 2 years, an awful lot of tme of work, numerous visits to the doctors, A&E etc before I even got a scan which clearly showed gallstones. I have suffered from severe depression, my husband nearly left me as he thought I was a 'pretending'. I am looking forward to getting it sorted out once and for all and am going to see a consutltant next week. Although I am worried about surgery as this is not always successful. But like those above you get to the stage where you pray for abything to stop the pain.
|