Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Intestinal Disorders Forum

Liver cysts and abdominal pain: what's wrong with me?

Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
User Profile
I have had upper abdominal pain for at least 6 weeks. In the beginning I was also having pain in the middle of my chest, with some labored breathing and weakness. Had chest x-ray, ekg, blood work. All showed my heart was fine. Then doctor gave me med for acid reflux. This cleared up my chest pain, labored breathing, and some weakness. However, I still have upper abdominal pain in the middle and right and left sides under the breast areas. I had CAT scan, which showed cysts on liver. My doctor said I shouldn't be having pain from the cysts. So he ordered an EDG, where they put a scope down to my stomach and looked around. Only showed the liver cysts. He then ordered an abdominal sonogram, which I don't have the results from yet. THe pain feels like a heaviness in those areas. What's wrong with me? Also, my blood pressure is elevated. Everytime I go to the doctor it's around 150/80 where it's always been low around 120/60.

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied October 16th, 2006
Intestinal Disorders Answer A1641
According to all your diagnostic reports (X-ray, endoscopy, CT-scan, ECG, blood work) it seems that the only conclusive findings are the liver cysts. An abdominal ultrasound will probably confirm the cysts, too. You can request surgical tests to confirm or exclude echinococcus granulosus infection as a cause for those liver cysts. Casoni’s-skin test exists to diagnose the infection but it is more specific to test the blood for detection of antibodies against echinococcus’s arc-5-antigen.
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Intestinal Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.