Medical Questions > Mental Health > Mental Conditions Forum

Pain Medication

Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
I was taking pain medication for severe dental surgery, they are on going, I feel the need to take the pain medication, how can I get rid of this feeling of needing this medication to feel better

thanks in advance
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 6th, 2004
Pain Medication-response
What pain medication were you on? Do you know the name?
|

replied February 6th, 2004
Pain Medication
I was and am taking lortab or vicodin

thank you for getting back to me..Looking forward to hearing from you again. Smile
|

replied May 22nd, 2004
What is lortab?
I take vicodin alot for sinus problems, and to me it's not all that effective. I have small sinus passages, and the climate in il is very humid almost all year round. So what happens is my sinuses put pressure on my teeth, and it's excrutiating. The pain settles right below my eye socket on the left.
I too feel the need to self medicate on a regular basis due to this.
To the point where I take the pills even when i'm not in severe pain, but just to head it off in case it escaletes.
All I can say is to stop taking the medication for a little while. If the pain is that severe that you can't do it, then you really need to be on that medication. And the feeling that you need the medication is valid, it's not a mental thing unless you don't have pain but still feel the need to take it. And in that case, that's addiction to the medication. However, I really can't see someone being addicted to vicodin like that.
The catch is that if you tell your doctor that, he'll give you something less addictive but it will also be less effective.

I personally find that marijuana is an excellent pain killer for mild to moderate pain. But in my experience, mouth pain doesn't fall into either category. Any mouth pain i've ever had was moderately severe or downright severe.
At certain times, my mouth and sinus pain combined gets so severe that I have to get my elderly aunt to give me some morphine pills.
About 20 minutes after I take it, I throw up, then the pain is totally gone.

I hate to advocate using illicit drugs or bad habits, but we live in a society where medication is issued for even the slightest of ailments.
If you took 1 city block, and went into each home on that block, I bet you wouldn't encounter 1 home that didn't have some sort of prescription medication in it!
But at the same time, thousands of people each day are denied employment due to their urine testing positive for marijuana.
Go figure.

What I think is that alot of prescription medications bring on other ailments that require more prescription medication to treat.
And I think it's like that for a reason--$$$$$$$$$$$$$

i wish you the best of luck with this. I know what it's like to have severe mouth pain, and to be addicted to the medication to manage that pain.
It's pure insanity! They throw all this medication at you, but then they act like you just shot the president when you become addicted to it!
Society sucks! And so do people in general!
|
Quick Reply
Answers to Similar Questions
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska
User Profile
Dr. Robert Wascher
User Profile
Dr. Nikola Gjuzelov
User Profile
Dr. Ana Aleksovska