Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Arthritis Forum

Pseudogout

Must Read
Gout is a common type of arthritis and accounts for about 5% of all cases of arthritic condition. But what is gout and what are the stages of this condition?...
Gout manifest for physical reasons...but what puts you at a greater risk of developing the disease? What risk factors should you avoid?...
Gout present symptoms mainly in the joints. Learn which signs to look for, and when you should seek medical help and diagnosis of gout....
Can anyone help me with treatment options for pseudogout? After a pretty severe knee injury, my husband has been suffering from this for several years and we would like any treatment ideas that you may have. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied June 6th, 2009
Pseudogout, knee pain.
I have pseudogout in both knees for about 24yrs since I was 22. Painful, swollen, and inflamed. Not from injury.
I canot find any remedy. These do not work- Glucosamine sulphate, chondroitin, msm, bromelain, vit D.
What helps a little is Ibuprofen, and rest.
Doctors do not know the cause, so do not know the cure.
Has anyone found something that works ??
THKS.
|

replied June 17th, 2012
Pseudogout, CPPD, chondrocalcinosis & foods to avoid
I have sever pseudogout in many joints. It all stemmed from some crappy knee surgery I had a decade ago. Seriously, I woke up from the operating table with this crippling affliction.

I'm glad Pgout responded with what DOESN'T work. You will otherwise part with serious $ trying to find a cure. Modern medicine is not interested in finding a cure because, typically, CPPD is found in those over 90 y.o.

I have tried EVERYTHING out there and am still searching. Its frustrating because there's so much bogus info on the www. Also, when you do a search on pseudogout, the article quickly talks about gout and other types of arthritis. IOW, the subject is quickly changed.

NSAIDS will burn a hole through your gut and cause probs down the road. Its not an answer.

The only temporary relief I've had so far has been via cortisone injections (which are horrible for you), copious exercising, drinking a lifestyle disturbing amount of water (you are probably dehydrated) and drinking a concoction of raw, organic apple cider vinegar, honey and warm water (it tastes like apple cider.)

Studies have found magnesium deficiency might be the cause. Having nervous leg syndrome, I'm pretty sure I'm mag deficient. So, I'm taking fistfuls of mag glycinate. I'm also taking zinc, boron and MSM supplements.

The thing about supplements is - they can take 6 months to start rendering an effect.

I just found some article stating that foods CPPD sufferers should stay away from are...

Fruits

Blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, currants, kiwifruit, concord (purple) grapes, figs, tangerines, and plums

Vegetables

Spinach, Swiss chard, beet greens, collards, okra, parsley, leeks and quinoa are among the most oxalate-dense vegetables Celery, green beans, rutabagas, and summer squash would be considered moderately dense in oxalates

Nuts and seeds

Almonds, cashews, and peanuts

Legumes

Soybeans, tofu and other soy products

Grains

Wheat bran, wheat germ, quinoa (a vegetable often used like a grain)

Other

Cocoa, chocolate, and black tea

Take what modern medicine says about...anything...with a grain of salt. They only want your $ and to treat your symptoms.
|

replied June 17th, 2012
Magnesium and Vitamin K. Please do a search on these 2 things and you will find that deficiencies are directly related to psuedogout. Vitamin K is even rumored to REVERSE the calcium crystals bunching up in your joints and possibly, tendons. I'll bet you don't drink enough water either. Drink water constantly. Ice and massage swollen joints. Do lots of gentle exercises every day. Magnesium...start off with a max dosage of 2000 mg. I don't know what the max is on Vitamin K but, reach it. Supposedly, you will feel a difference with Vitamin K fairly quickly whereas the magnesium can take months to kick in.
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied November 15th, 2014
psuedogout
I tried to post a reply to another post. Typical arthritis meds like methotrexate do nothing to alleviate pseudogout. Mine was cause by a little arthoscopic knee surgery done 12 years ago. The joint got infected and spread. Hospitals are filthy.
|