Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Vascular and Circulatory Disorders Forum

Spider Veins???

My 14 yr old daughter has some nasty looking very visible spider veins on her upper thighs.. Is this something that should be looked at??
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied August 21st, 2003
I'm not a doctor, but it seems a bit unusual for a fourteen yr old to have spider veins. Yes, I think it should be checked into.
|

replied August 21st, 2003
Experienced User
I've never heard of that in someone so young. You'd better check it out.
|

replied September 5th, 2003
Is it normal for a 21 year old to have them? Just recently popped up?
|

replied September 13th, 2003
Ugly Spider Veins
I have had those ugly little spider veins since I was a teenager! Usually in the shape of a starburst on my inner thigh by my knee, or on the outer side and back of my leg, they can really appear anywhere. They are hereditory usually but can get worse if you spend alot of time on your feet, because of pregnancy or weight gain and can even appear on your face from squeezing pimples or dehydration. (too much alcohol, not enough water!) there are a couple options, laser therepy, which works well, usually the first time, kindof expensive though, or sclerotherepy, thats when they inject saline solution into the little buggers, this is less money but it hurts a little too! I have had the sclero- and in one treatment it reduced my veins by about 50% in two or more treatments they should dimension. But they will eventually come back in other spots, oh well there are worse things!! Like varicose veins! They are even uglier and they hurt! Ether treatment you choose, be sure a schedule your appt. In the winter, because your legs will look a bit scary for a couple weeks/months! (brown spots where the treatment was) dont worry they fade!
Tbf- ps I am a horrible speller! Sorry
|

replied September 14th, 2005
I worked as a server and bartender for three years, and developed spider veins on the inside of my thighs, next to my left and right knees. I was only 26 when they first started to show.

When I was in california visiting my mother a year ago, I went to see her accupressurist, this nice korean man, master yu, I think his name was. I only went twice. It was a painful experience. I went there for lower back pain, and he worked a lot on my feet and shins, which he said were connected. His therapy really worked for my back, and, as a bonus, the spider vein on my right leg disappeared completely, and the one on my left, which used to look like a long asterix, now is just a little squiggle, a question mark. I was pretty surprised. I thought I would have them for the rest of my life.

So, accupressure may be something you could look into.
|

replied March 22nd, 2009
Spider-ish veins
I'm 17 and I have those spider-ish veins on the backs of my legs, thighs, and inner knee. I have always been thin;very athletic. My mom says they are not as visable as i make them seem, but they are there. I have tried everything. I had these veins for awhile, 13ish.

I am not overweight.5ft 5in 112 lbs I eat healthy and run cross country.
I would love to hear a inexpensive and easy solution??

Help?
:/
|

replied April 18th, 2009
Im also 14 years old and i have 4 nasty varicose veins, im defff gunna get them looked at
|

replied June 1st, 2009
I have had those ugly little spider veins since I was a teenager! Usually in the shape of a starburst on my inner thigh by my knee, or on the outer side and back of my leg, they can really appear anywhere.
|

User Profile
replied August 9th, 2009
Spider Veins - Men
I have had them on my left inner ankle since 26 from a sports injury, at 35 i have noticed two small patches on my right shin toward my ankle. My dad is 60 and he has them and they get finer and less noticable over time. I can only offer this advice, excercise, get horizontal rest and drink water...seems to help.
|

replied August 29th, 2009
Sixty with spiderveins all across the cheekbones. Is there a cream to get rid of these? I also have brown spots on my face and forehead. Do any of the creams work?
|

replied September 28th, 2009
I recently started having problems with Thread veins, I did have them treated with the inyections, and they dissapear almost completely, but somebody told me about a good home remedy which clear the arteries and is good for blood circulation. It is Apple Cider Vinegar, add to teaspoon to a bit of warm water, I also started taking vitamin C. An old lady told me about this, I wasn't so sure about it, so I have researched it, and it seem that it really good, so I started doing every day, if it works it will safe a lot of money in the future, plus a lot of tears, as this whole issue have really got me depressed.

Sorry about the spelling and word order, My mother tongue is Spanish not English.
|

replied January 7th, 2013
Would you please give me the measurement on the water. I would like to try it. Oh and how long before you start to notice?
|

replied April 15th, 2010
Normal veins can be visible in some people who are fair and thin. However, spider veins refer to small veins that are swollen and therefore become visible. Although they tend to occur later in life, they can occasionally appear at a very young age.

How a doctor look it, if it is just an isolated spider veins without any other problems, you can probably leave it alone. If your daughter are very affected by its appearance, a simple sclerotherapy injection can clear it fairly easily.

|

replied June 3rd, 2010
I am a board certified Phlebologist in the greater St. Louis area in Missouri. I work with these issues all day. Spider veins are thin surface veins that turn blue or red under the strain of the venous reflux and affect the appearance of the location where they occur. Spider veins are considered a cosmetic problem, rarely causing physical discomfort, and can be addressed with a variety of non-invasive, techniques.

Sclerotherapy is a treatment using a tiny needle to inject a solution called sclerosant into the veins, irritating the lining of the veins, causing them to close. Sclerotherapy is also used to treat both varicose and spider veins that are seen on the surface of the leg. This can be a little painful because of the needles.

Veinwave works using radio waves that are pulsed directly to the desired area, so treatment is quick and pain free. Any adult man or woman in good general health who has thin spider veins, or tangled, thread-like veins known as “telangiectasia,” is a good candidate. Also anyone who is looking for a quick procedure and wants to avoid the possibility of bruising or scarring should consider the Veinwave treatment. This treatment is virtually painless.
|

replied October 31st, 2010
I'm 19 years old had vericose veins since before I can even remember. I have them on both legs. I suggest ppl that are young and have them should get them checked out soon as possible because about a month ago I had superficial vein terambosis which means blood cloths in the superficial vein. Worst pain I ever had to go thru in my life. I'm getting surgery in a month to have the veins striped out. I didn't take it serious until it started to cloth up. So even if it doesn't bother you pain wise get it checked out.
|

replied November 20th, 2011
Broken Facial Spider Veins
I am a relatively healthy 24 year old and for quite some time now I have had broken spider veins on either side of nose (oddly one side is worse than the other) and although they dont cause me any physical pain or discomfort they certainly affect my self-confidence (even to the extent that I feel unattractive because of them). It has become something of an issue and is rarely far from my thoughts. I have undergone two laser treatments in the past, but unfortunately they have had no long-term (or even short term) effect. The treatment resulted in redness and some slight blistering which subsided after a week or so, but then the veins reappeared almost immediately.

Obviously I could undergo another laser treatment, although based upon the previous results I will struggle to justify the expense. I am also unsure as to what the risks are in having several of these treatments. Could it result in permanent damage? I wonder if there are different types of laser treatments. Are certain machines / techniques more effective than others for example?

Also, being male, I cannot bring myself to use make-up / concealer to mask this problem, as although it would cover up the veins, people may comment upon the fact that Im wearing make-up which would undoubtedly lead to embarrassment.

If it so happens that I am out of options, is there anything I can do to lessen the appearance of these broken veins? All advice welcome as Im rapidly running out of options on this one.
|

replied August 20th, 2012
Re: Spider Veins???
lisa42879 wrote:
My 14 yr old daughter has some nasty looking very visible spider veins on her upper thighs.. Is this something that should be looked at??

Yes, this is indeed something that you need to IMMEDIATELY look at. Spider veins are a medical condition which needs to be treated immediately. Please note that when I say immediately, I am not asking you to panic. There are many easy and surgical as well as non-surgical ways to get rid of spider veins [/url]. What I am saying is please do not take a long time by trying out various home remedies. Go to a Doctor as soon as possible and get proper medication from him.
Hope your daughter gets well soon !!! nurse
|
Tags: spider veins
Quick Reply